CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 129  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CLAYCOMO TRUCKS wrote:
It's great that someone is really testing this new gun Remington has first. Many poeple on the forum have ran it down without giving it time to see real fire and field tests. I know the gun had a recall but let's see if that was just a hiccup or the start of something bad. Keep up the reports.

Thanks CT,
I am doing this for no other reason then to see what this thing can do, plus I must admit that I do get a kick out of abusing a gun that has been trampled on due to bias and or production issues.
I did this with a couple of Stoeger Condor's several years ago, would I own one for shooting/hunting????Probably not! But they serve a purpose for me and have not failed yet. We use them for our YHEC team and training new (young) shooters, thousands of shots, getting a little loose, finish is melted off the forend, but they still go bang and break targets:)
Also acquired a NIB 870 XCS about 4 years ago. It has been thru hell and back and has held up extremely well. I do not care for the kick it provides at times, it has a "express" trigger assembly and them useless shell holders in the stock, but the finish and function are still flawless. I can not get that gun to rust!
Any ways, I will put the Versamax to the test under real (average joe) shooting and hunting conditions and honestly report what I see. Never will you see me state that this is the only gun to buy nor will I run down anyone else's choice.

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

Last edited by TuJays on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

people are alittle gunshy when it comes to remington right now so its gonna take longer for this gun to get into peoples hands. i dont own one yet but i have about 200 rounds through my buddies and its been flawless and its been consistant. i dont like the black with grey rubber inserts but the camo version sure is a nice looking gun. im holding out for wood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

roscoe71 wrote:
people are alittle gunshy when it comes to remington right now so its gonna take longer for this gun to get into peoples hands. i dont own one yet but i have about 200 rounds through my buddies and its been flawless and its been consistant. i dont like the black with grey rubber inserts but the camo version sure is a nice looking gun. im holding out for wood

do you know if he adjusted the gun to his "fit" using the supplied shims and plates, or did he just shoot it "right out of the box" as is?

Fred G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 am 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know what the initial recall with the versamax was about?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From Remington

Safety Warning And Recall Notice
Product Recall Notice
Warning

DO NOT USE YOUR REMINGTON VERSA MAX SHOTGUN
Remington has found that a limited number of its Versa Max shotguns may have hammers out of specification. This condition may result in inconsistent firearm performance. Inconsistent firearm performance may result in property damage, serious personal injury or death.
If you have a Remington Versa Max shotgun immediately discontinue use of the shotgun and contact Remington at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #4. Remington will arrange for the return shipment of your Versa Max shotgun and upon receipt will immediately inspect and retrofit your Versa Max shotgun and return it to you at no cost to you. All Versa Max shotguns that have the hammer enhancement will contain a “V” stamped that can be seen by looking in the ejection port or through the carrier.

Defense League, Inc
http://www.ccdl.us

Post subject: Versa Max
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 am 
Diamond Grade

I wish you luck, I am so looking more on this gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:49 am 
Presentation Grade

jbeagle wrote:
Does anyone know what the initial recall with the versamax was about?

The unconfirmed word on the street is that a CNC machine was set incorrectly and about 1000 hammers were cut slightly out of spec. The affected guns seem to work ok, but Remington recalled them anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, best laid plans of mice and men.....geese did not show, but one mallard and two bluebills made my morning. The gun worked fine, I however missed twice. It was 27 degrees and sleeting all morning so I did not go to the gun club, however I did get a chance to shoot the 2.75" GPX's for Clink83 and they shot just fine as fast as i could pull the trigger. Then I went ahead and mixed shells up for several volley's and it never missed a lick. This included more of the GPX's, some of the 3" Kents, and a 3.5" federal turkey load.
@clink83, the recoil was acceptable with the GPX loads, and I am recoil sensitive because of age and injuries to my right hand and shoulder. This is a really soft shooting gun!
Did notice residue being blown backwards, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary so far.
I need to see how it handles the light stuff next.

Fred G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds like so far so good.
My fingers are crossed for a very long and healthy life of the Versa Max.
I am a big fan of the 1100 and would like to see Remington have a new success here.

Defense League, Inc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

TuJays wrote:
roscoe71 wrote:

do you know if he adjusted the gun to his "fit" using the supplied shims and plates, or did he just shoot it "right out of the box" as is?

my friend doesnt really know how to set up a gun to fit him for better performance he just says aw it fits good, now me if it were mine 1st thing i would do is flip the safty for a southpaw, and 2nd change cast and then tinker with drop this gun has alot of drop to it. i know i can easily make this gun fit me like a glove with very little effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

roscoe71 wrote:
TuJays wrote:
roscoe71 wrote:

my friend doesnt really know how to set up a gun to fit him for better performance he just says aw it fits good, now me if it were mine 1st thing i would do is flip the safty for a southpaw, and 2nd change cast and then tinker with drop this gun has alot of drop to it. i know i can easily make this gun fit me like a glove with very little effort.

Hmm! That's a shame.
It is easy to adjust and I bet he would improve on left to right moving targets. Every man to his own though:)
maybe you can talk him out of it.

Fred G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Today while hunting and then "firing for effect" I shot the gun empty with no cycle problems. After cleaning it this evening i decided to step out back and load it, then practice unloading it without firing. Right off i did not get what I expected. Pushing the shell release did not release a shell, looking i can clearly see that the shell latch is out of the way but the shell is not coming out of the magazine...a gentle whack with my hand to the side of the receiver and it pops right out. I ejected all rounds and went in and disassembled it. Upon inspection I find that the fit between the stainless mag tube and the aluminum receiver is nice and tight, but there is an excessive burr at the top of the hole on the aluminum. 30 seconds with my dremel, clean again, assemble, step out back and load and unload with no problems.
I believe it would have smoothed out on its own with a few more boxes of shells run through it, but it should not have came that way.

Fred G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is real sad!
I hate that Remington is not putting a decent Quality Inspection on every part of the gun.

Again I will say I am a huge Remington fan and I really want these guns to be flawless and reliable out of the box.
I might have to wait a few years to get one...after all the bugs are worked out.

Defense League, Inc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LTB45 wrote:
That is real sad!
I hate that Remington is not putting a decent Quality Inspection on every part of the gun.

Again I will say I am a huge Remington fan and I really want these guns to be flawless and reliable out of the box.
I might have to wait a few years to get one...after all the bugs are worked out.

checking again this morning I now completely believe that the issue was hardened paint from the camouflage process and not a machining problem. The magazine tube is stainless steel, round and smooth, the receiver is aluminum; where the two meet fits nice but there was hardened paint slobbers left after the camo finish was applied.
Still sad LTB45!

Fred G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Paint is much easier to fix than bad machining.

After what Remingtons reputation has been through for way to many years, you would thaink that they would make sure that all the "t's" are crossed and the "i's" are dotted before any of these new guns leave the factory floor.

Defense League, Inc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LTB45 wrote:
Paint is much easier to fix than bad machining.

After what Remingtons reputation has been through for way to many years, you would thaink that they would make sure that all the "t's" are crossed and the "i's" are dotted before any of these new guns leave the factory floor.

I notified Remington this morning, here is the timely reply...

"John- sorry to hear you had an issue! Will report this up and if you have any other issues please let us know so we can get you fixed."

Fred G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

After the 105CTI and the 887 problems there should not be any issues especially with the Versa Max. There was a hammer recall on the gun already and one thing Cerberus/Remington doesn't need is more sloppy workmanship if they expect to stay in business. Cerberus certainly didn't help Chrysler I hope they don't do the same for Remington.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yesterday afternoon I let the local high school trap team have at the Versa Max, they shot the snot out of it after their regular practice. It fired everything they stuck in it without failure, probably around 200 rounds of normal cheap Wal-mart stuff and 100 rounds of Federal heavy field loads i let them shoot. The gun was flawless and they all are wondering when they will get one. I had to explain to them that autoloaders and trap is bad etiquette :wink:
This morning I went goose hunting.....

The gun did fail to release the first shell out of the mag tube when my hunt was over, a gentle tap and it releases, second one out acted normal.

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like they put it through a good test. I love hearing that it cycled the cheap walmart stuff!!

TuJays wrote:
I had to explain to them that autoloaders and trap is bad etiquette :wink:

I gues that I must be showing real bad etiquette at all those ATA shoots I attend with my 1100 Trap gun 8) ....LOL!
Just make sure that they get some kind of shell catcher or even a rubber band will do.

Nice Birds!! :D

Defense League, Inc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Took the gun completely apart and cleaned it. Put magazine tube stopper, spring and knurled end back in. No trigger assemble or bolt installed only the shell latch.....I put a shell in the magazine by holding down the shell latch, when I released the latch the shell did not release. Upon inspection the end of the shell latch was digging into the soft brass of the shell head and hanging up just enough to stop the shell from coming out. Further inspection reveled a "small" sharp inside leading edge on the shell latch where it makes contact with the shells. I touched it up/polished it with a small piece of emery clothe and the gun now runs as advertised.
The force of the magazine spring and the sharp edge created enough friction to defeat the shell latch spring, causing my problem. Furthermore I now do not believe that excessive paint was the issue, even though it may have added to it.
I just finished loading and unloading it 20 times and it worked perfect ever time.

Fred G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 129  Next