CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What choke do you want me to use and at what yardage; or are you just wanting to see if they will cycle?
Mine just loves 2 3/4" Fiocchi, 1 3/8 ounce, at 1485 fps, nickel plated, #6, golden pheasants using my "pass shooting choke!!!! The pheasants don't care for it much.....
Ejected shells from these Fiocchi's land farther away than all others...even hypersonics!
These (Fiocchi Golden Pheasants) hot little "baby magnums" can cause other autos to turn into single shots, but my VM doesn't seem to care.

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:08 am 
Field Grade

What about some waterfowl loads at say 30 yards (Decoying) and 60 yards (passing)... 4 or 2 shot.

I got some great hunting pups hitting the ground at the end of April

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:55 am 
Field Grade

Still waiting for that 26" barrel in the waterfowl version. Don't want to have to cut a hole in the top of my gun cabinet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:20 pm 
Field Grade

TuJays wrote:
What choke do you want me to use and at what yardage; or are you just wanting to see if they will cycle?
Mine just loves 2 3/4" Fiocchi, 1 3/8 ounce, at 1485 fps, nickel plated, #6, golden pheasants using my "pass shooting choke!!!! The pheasants don't care for it much.....
Ejected shells from these Fiocchi's land farther away than all others...even hypersonics!
These (Fiocchi Golden Pheasants) hot little "baby magnums" can cause other autos to turn into single shots, but my VM doesn't seem to care.

Finally! I shoot those same shells and now for the million dollar question. After you have shot a Fiocchi, does the spent shell have a ding in the side of the brass? In the Fiocchi just like the Federal High Velocity, my spent shells have a large ding in the brass.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 am 
Field Grade

To all our mom's that have sacrificed so much, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Augusta wrote:
TuJays wrote:

Finally! I shoot those same shells and now for the million dollar question. After you have shot a Fiocchi, does the spent shell have a ding in the side of the brass? In the Fiocchi just like the Federal High Velocity, my spent shells have a large ding in the brass.

No "dings" in any 3.5" or 3" shells no matter the brand/type!
No "dings" in any 2.75" target loads!
A slight flat mark is left on standard 2.75" heavy field loads!
A definite DING is left in the Fiocchi's!!!
It cycles everything perfectly, however the hotter the round it seems to throw them straight out to the right, the softer the round it throws them out and forward.
Definitely with 4 drams eq in a 2.75" shell (baby magnums) we are getting a lot of gas to cycle the action...more so than a 3" or 3.5" shell because they seal off some of the gas ports in the chamber. Here are pics of the shells.

Fred G

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

TuJays wrote:
Augusta wrote:
TuJays wrote:

No "dings" in any 3.5" or 3" shells no matter the brand/type!
No "dings" in any 2.75" target loads!
A slight flat mark is left on standard 2.75" heavy field loads!
A definite DING is left in the Fiocchi's!!!
It cycles everything perfectly, however the hotter the round it seems to throw them straight out to the right, the softer the round it throws them out and forward.
Definitely with 4 drams eq in a 2.75" shell (baby magnums) we are getting a lot of gas to cycle the action...more so than a 3" or 3.5" shell because they seal off some of the gas ports in the chamber. Here are pics of the shells.

That is EXACTLY what mine does. So it is a Versa Max problem then, and not just my gun. I sent some of my spent shells to Remington so they can see what I mean, by a "ding" in the side of the empty shell. You are correct in your assesment when you say "baby magnums", these shells are very hot, but the Federal Prairie Storms are even hotter.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can't get much hotter/harder than throwing 1 & 3/8 ounce's of lead 6's out of a 2 & 3/4" inch shell at 1485 FPS! The PS's are rated at 1500 FPS, but I think they only have 1 & 1/4 ounce's of shot if I remember right....either way they are HOT!!!!
Maybe we should spring for a box each of shells and send them to Remington?
I will suggest to them that they take a hard look at very hot "short" shells and the prolonged effect it may have on the gun.....certainly they would have considered this?
However, I can clearly see how the mindset of shotgunning today may have caused them to overlook the continued and consistent use of these types of shells. Typically when one shoots a 12 gauge and 2 & 3/4" shells it is at clays, doves, quail, mice, moles, and other small insignificant items; nothing hot or heavy is required. Conversely, when one goes after turkeys, geese, ducks, Angus bulls, Mastodons, & politicians we opt for the big 3 " or the even bigger payload the 3.5" for more shot..etc,etc,etc! Quite possible someone forgot to take completely into account the red headed stepchild...AKA...baby magnums. Or they did and shell DINGS are acceptable?
Mine cycles them just fine! REALLY FAST mind you, but just fine :mrgreen:

Fred G

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

TuJays wrote:
Can't get much hotter/harder than throwing 1 & 3/8 ounce's of lead 6's out of a 2 & 3/4" inch shell at 1485 FPS! The PS's are rated at 1500 FPS, but I think they only have 1 & 1/4 ounce's of shot if I remember right....either way they are HOT!!!!
Maybe we should spring for a box each of shells and send them to Remington?
I will suggest to them that they take a hard look at very hot "short" shells and the prolonged effect it may have on the gun.....certainly they would have considered this?
However, I can clearly see how the mindset of shotgunning today may have caused them to overlook the continued and consistent use of these types of shells. Typically when one shoots a 12 gauge and 2 & 3/4" shells it is at clays, doves, quail, mice, moles, and other small insignificant items; nothing hot or heavy is required. Conversely, when one goes after turkeys, geese, ducks, Angus bulls, Mastodons, & politicians we opt for the big 3 " or the even bigger payload the 3.5" for more shot..etc,etc,etc! Quite possible someone forgot to take completely into account the red headed stepchild...AKA...baby magnums. Or they did and shell DINGS are acceptable?
Mine cycles them just fine! REALLY FAST mind you, but just fine :mrgreen:

Tujays, mine cycles the Fiocchi's just fine as well. It's when I come to the Federal Prairie Storms or the Federal High Velocity Upland loads that are 2 3/4 inch, 1 3/8 ounce lead, 1,500 ft/sec loads is when I have troubles. When I fire, the next shell gets stuck between the carrier and the bolt.

By the way, I sent mine back to Remington a week ago, got it back today (it must pay to complain to the right people, they actually over nighted it back to me!). They replaced the barrel and the trigger assembly. I will test it later this week, but for some reason, I am not expecting any change which in reality is going to be fine with me, my days of shooting high powered lead loads are numbered and like yours, mine shoots all kinds of steel just fine. So I am a happy camper! I do admit that I like the gun very much.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

So I won't shoot baby mags in my Versa max. I can live with that. From the old days when we could shoot lead at ducks I got better patterns using 3" loads than 2 3/4"with the same payload and velocity.
Rabbits, dove, quail, and Clay birds are the only things I shoot 2 3/4 shells at. Ducks geese, and turkeys get the 3"and 3 1/2" loads.
The 2 1/4 oz lead turkey loads do have a kick to them, but I don't shoot many. My gun seems to like the Federal #5 with the imp mod choke tube. The full choke pattern was smaller but had clumps and holes compared to the Imp mod. At 40 yards 10-13 hits in the kill zone, on a head profile target.
What loads have you liked in your gun.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

I have not done any patterning work with my gun yet. I intend to do that later this summer.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I went out and tested my Versa Max after getting it back from Remington. No change, it still will not cycle the Federal High Velocity lead loads, and still leaves a ding in the Fiocchi's. I am ok with that now that I know that this is a Versa Max issue and not just my gun. I foresee the day when I no longer shoot high velocity lead loads and only shoot steel. Steel loads no matter what size or brand cycle through the gun perfectly. I would still recommend this gun to anyone other than someone who shoots high velocity lead loads and wants to reload them.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

TuJays might have in some of his earlier reports, but has anyone shot any 3" Hevi Shot or 3" Hevi Metal. If so did they ding the metal casing?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

NCFowler, if no one has shot the Hevi Metal through their guns, let me know. I would be willing to buy a box and test them on my Versa Max for you.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:58 am 
Field Grade

NCFolwer, I purchased a box of Hevi-Metal last night to shoot thru the Versa Max. I purchased a box of 3", 1 1/4 ounce, #3, 1,500 ft/sec shells. I will test them next week and post my results. This is the first time I have ever purchased these shells and after I got to the checkout counter, I remembered why. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Augusta wrote:
I am ok with that now that I know that this is a Versa Max issue and not just my gun.

How have you come to this conclusion? I don't see anyone else making that statement.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

To: Versamax owners......are the versamax magazine tubes removable and have you tried or removed them.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

1CYLON3 wrote:
Augusta wrote:
I am ok with that now that I know that this is a Versa Max issue and not just my gun.

How have you come to this conclusion? I don't see anyone else making that statement.

Read the above posts (there is even pictures for you :roll: ), or better yet, buy some High Velocity Fiocchi lead or some High Velocity Federal lead and see for yourself. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have read the ALL the posts above and it seems that yours is the only one that won't cycle certain shells. So if that's the case how can you state that it is a Versamax problem in general and not just your gun.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:41 pm 
Field Grade

1CYLON3 wrote:
I have read the ALL the posts above and it seems that yours is the only one that won't cycle certain shells. So if that's the case how can you state that it is a Versamax problem in general and not just your gun.

Like I said, go buy some shells like I mentioned and see for yourself. I see from your other posts that anytime someone says something derogatory about Remington, you jump all over them. This forum is a review of the gun, if you don't like what you read or don't own one, move along.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 131  Next