CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: topper long tom 12 ga. 48 in barrell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm 
Utility Grade

i have a very old topper 12ga. long tom with a 48 in barrell and i want to know if anyone knows what it is worth.

Post subject: Re: topper long tom 12 ga. 48 in barrell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Ray
I have over 850 listings for "Trade Brand Name" shotguns and the name Topper is not among them. Also the name LONG TOM is both a "Trade Brand Name" and a generic name for any shotgun with a barrel over 32 inches long. Guns with the name LONG TOM stamped on them were made by either Meridian Fire Arms Co of Meridian,CT (1905to 1915) and the Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls,MA (1915 to date) for and were sold by Sears Roebuck & Co. I would like to help you but need the following information. Is the gun a single barrel or a double barrel shotgun?. What is the exact name marked on the gun (no abbreviations or additions)? Are there any other markings on the gun, look on the frame and the barrel(s) both top and bottom. Need to know the condition of the gun to make a value guess. Are you sure the barrel(s) is 43 inches long? That seems like a very long barrel. Will be waiting for the necessary information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Ned,
If my memory serves me correctly, the Topper shotguns were made by Harrington and Richardson, (H&R). I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:34 pm 
Utility Grade

sorry, the barrell is 40 inches from end of barrell to the breech. the stamp on the side of the barrell says, "Long Tom" and it has a stamp 12 with a diamond shape with the letter "c" in the middle. on the top of the barrell it says, "genuine armory steal". there is a serial number down by the trigger guard stamped,"402555". it is also a single barrell. condition is fair. shoots great and everything funtions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

H&R made the Topper. Not worth a lot. There were a lot of guns marketed with extra long barrels for a long time. An apparent holdover from black powder days when you could achieve a little extra with more barrel length. Marlin made a goose gun with I think a 36" barrel. Bolt action. Was that ever an evil handling gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

I had an old H&R Topper single barrel years ago. 36'' full choked barrel and that thang killed from both ends! Didn't weigh hardly anything and you could carry it all day long. The forearm attachment was so wore out that I finally taped it to the barrel to keep it from flying off when ya pulled the trigger. Killed my first turkey with it and a bunch of squills. I don't or can't remember what the heck I did with it... If I remember correctly I paid about $25 for it at a yardsale.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:28 am 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
Marlin made a goose gun with I think a 36" barrel. Bolt action. Was that ever an evil handling gun.

The "super goose" (in ten guage). Best long range pass shooter ever. I've owned two of'em.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
Marlin made a goose gun with I think a 36" barrel. Bolt action. Was that ever an evil handling gun.
I tried mine at sporting clays once. Actually worked pretty well on the first target, but the second shot of a report pair was he//, and don't even think about shooting a double! :lol:

I paid about $100 for mine a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm 
Limited Edition

The diamond shaped mark along with the "Genuine Armory Steel" marking sounds suspiciously like some old Crescent single-shots I've examined in the past. I've never seen a Crescent with a 40 inch barrel though.

There are people who will pay a slight premium for a single-shot with an unusually long barrel.

For what it's worth, Marlin once offered model 120 pumps with 40 inch barrels.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Gentlemen. I now know why I couldn't find the name TOPPER in my listings of "Trade Brand Name" shotguns. I restricted the listings to guns made between 1880 and 1940. The name Topper was introduced by H & R on their Model 48 in 1943.
The markings given for the gun in question, G in a diamond (not a c) preceded by a number which is the gauge of the gun, and the words GENUINE ARMORY STEEL (not steal) and the location of the serial number of the gun are all hallmarks of shotguns made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931). Crescent made shotguns with the following names LONG RANGE, LONG RANGE MARVEL, LONG RANGE WINNER, LONG RANGE WONDER and LONG RANGE SPORTSMAN. All these guns were made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Company. Crescent did not make a shotgun with the name LONG TOM. These were made by either Meridian Firearms Company or Stevens Arms & Tool Company and were also sold by Sears. As far as I know, no maker marked the name of a gun on the barrel. All were marked on the left side of the frame/receiver. Other information was stamped on the barrel but not the name. The gun in question is most likely a Crescent Flat Frame Single Model made from 1901 to 1932. According to the serial number given, it was made in 1916.
Now for some standard information. These guns were designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the times when they were made and for the ammunition in use then. They were designed for either black powder or ver early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot loaded shells. They may have damascus barrels chambered for 2 1/2 or 2 9/16 inch shells. They were not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder and steel shot loaded shells. I have to recommend that they not be fired because I can't see the gun to determine its condition. But if you insist, please have it checked out by a good gunsmith first and then use appropriate ammo. Value? Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A rime condition example might bring as much as $150 while a rust rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only as a tent peg or parts salvage might bring $10. Most sell on the various gun auction sites for between $50 and $75.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 pm 
Utility Grade

if you ever want to sell it please let me know.. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Topper is indeed a H&R, my first shotgun was a Topper.

Post subject: Sportsman Long Range single break shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 am 
Utility Grade

Hello Ned.

I have a16 GA single break shotgun with "Sportsman Long Range" (written in script) on the left side magazine, with stamped on top, " Made in USA 16 GA Choke". The SN: A88716.
Could you tell me for sure it's year and maker. I doubt it. Sears make/seller.
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Gun is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent seller who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name SPORTSMAN LONG RANGE were made by one of two makers, Crescent fire Arms Company of Norwich,MA (1892 to 1930) or Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls,MA (1864 to date). Have no information as to who the seller might have been, If the serial number is stamped on the bottom tang just behind the trigger guard, then the gun was made by Crescent and was made in 1901. To identify a Stevens made gun, the butt stock wood will have two (one on each side) semicircular projections that fit into corresponding cutouts in the frame. There are no published serial number-year made tables for Stevens made gun but they did not start making "Trade Brand Name" shotguns until 1915. Value? These shotguns were inexpensive even when new selling for $15 to $25 and they haven't appreciated that much since. The value of these old single barrels will depend on their condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example (very rare) that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 while a worn out ,rusty metal, rotten or broken wood and missing parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a tent stake might bring as little as $10. Most I have seen sold on the various gun suction sites have sold for between $50 and $95. Safe to shoot? Depends. The guns designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the time when they were made and for the ammunition in use back then. Both guns were designed for either black powder or very early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot loaded shells, either 2 1/ or 2 9/16 inch long. Neither was designed or made for modern 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with high pressure smokeless powder and steel shot. If in doubt, have the gun inspected by a good qualified gunsmith before attempting to shoot it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello Ned,
I think I might have found the forum I was looking for.
The information and background you gave on the "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is very interesting.
I have a shotgun very similiar to the one described by Paul, the difference being it is a 12 gauge, not a 16 gauge. The serial number is where you describe it, stamped on the bottom tang and the number is A862802. Can you give me a manufacturer and year?
It's mainly just a matter of curiosity for me. It was the shotgun my grandfather carried on his tractor when he would farm during pheasant season until it fell off and got ran over. I know it has no value beyond what someone might give me for it for scrap. However, I'm starting to find that, for whatever reason, there's something very sentimental about a shotgun that has been in the family for a while.
Anyway, any information you can give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chuck