CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 20 gauge forend fit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 pm 
Field Grade

I bought an 870 20 gauge for my son for Christmas. When I slide the forend up and down, it leaves a mark on the receiver, which is from the forend not clearing the receiver 100%. I eventually sanded off enough wood from the forend so that it would not make contact with the receiver. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I bought an 870 12 gauge about 10 years ago and did not have this problem, but the stock on the 12 gauge is black synthetic, not wood.

Bill in GA

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 20 gauge forend fit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Was it centered? That's the only time I have ever seen one hit. They are made on a machine so the dimensions are pretty darned consistent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Are you sure the fore end wasn't just poorly centered? That is, there is more gap on one side of the barrel than the other. I bought an 870 in 1968 and the fore end rubbed one side of the barrel. We had to make a tool to loosen the nut that attached the fore end to the action sleeve. We then made the gap the same on both sides and, of course, there was no contact.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I've purchased 4 870 shotguns in the last 4 years. My first was in 2008 and was a 870 Express 20 gauge with synthetic stock. The forend of that shotgun wanted to rub on the left side of the receiver and barrel right out of the box. In 2009 I bought an 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge, and I never had an issue with that gun. In 2010 I bought an 870 Express in 12 gauge with a synthetic stock and never had a problem with that gun either. Today in 2011 I purchased an 870 Express 20 gauge with the synthetic stock and an 18.5" barrel and 2 shot mag extension for home defense, and that one too right out of the box is rubbing against the left side of the reciever and barrel. So i'm not sure what's up with that! Kinda frustrating. My 1st one I took to a Remington authorized gunsmith to try and fix it under warranty, and it only got worse after they said they adjusted and tightened the nut.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

they may be made on realtively precision equipment, but I have a wingmaster that has a fore end that seesm to have warped after it was made and it is as centered as it can be and still rubs on the left side.

The one in the original post could be warped or slightly bent arm(s) may also make for some rubbing