CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Darne Question.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

HELP! After using all the info from the other darne owners info I still cant figure out which model I have so maybe someone can help with this info. 12 ga.,26" barrel,sling mts,lever safety on L/S,all metal blued w/no fancy engraveing, barrel flat stamped as follows-(Darne-type-10,revete S.G.D.G,#65,cannons darne,sietienne.#18.2.) On barrel (serial #pp761 it also has 3 crowns stamped in a row) Gun is about 85-90%,butt pad needs to be replaced. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. As for value I also dont have a clue. Thanks again shooters-Ed.

Post subject: Re: Another Darne Question.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

It is one of the grades (10 through 17) of the "R" series Darne sliding breech shotguns - an R 10.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/darne.htm

This 20ga sold recently for $3K (Smallbores generally are worth more than the larger bores): http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/ ... 71809.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Your description is confusing. An R10 would have no engraving. But it should not have "type 10", that is not French... The only way to be sure is for you to post pictures of the entire gun and all markings.

"Breveté S.G.D.G." (Sans garantie du Gouvernement) Is "patented without government guarantee (approval)."

For more on Darne
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20francais ... e%20gb.htm

http://www.gournetusa.com/darne04.htm

http://www.gournetusa.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm 
Field Grade

For anyone who is interested, Breveté S.G.D.G. (Sans garantie du Gouvernement) does indeed mean 'patented without government guarantee'.

Many countries fall into the 'British-type patent system' category while many others fall into the 'French-type patent system' category.

The main difference is that in British-type systems, patent applications are rigorously examined before grant, and the patentee can be pretty certain that his/her granted patent does not conflict with any existing patent (granted in that jurisdiction).

French-type patent systems are referred to as 'deposit' systems, where the Patent Office checks patent applications for compliance with filing rules (i.e. has the applicant lodged the correct forms and paid the correct fees?) but they do NOT check for conflicts with existing granted patents, nor do they necessarily check if the subject of the application is new, non-obvious, industrially-applicable (which it must be to be patentable). If a conflict with an existing patent arises at a later date, the conflict is resolved at that time.

The full French phrase behind SGDG is 'brevets sont délivrés sans examen préalable, aux risques et périls des demandeurs, et sans garantie soit de la réalité, de la nouveauté ou du mérite de l’invention, soit de la fidélité ou de l’exactitude de la description ' which translates as 'patents are granted without prior examination, at the risk of applicants, and without guarantee of the existence, novelty or merits of the invention, or the truth or accuracy of the description ".

Now you know!
Nigel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

nutting wrote:
For anyone who is interested, Breveté S.G.D.G. (Sans garantie du Gouvernement) does indeed mean 'patented without government guarantee'.

Many countries fall into the 'British-type patent system' category while many others fall into the 'French-type patent system' category.

The main difference is that in British-type systems, patent applications are rigorously examined before grant, and the patentee can be pretty certain that his/her granted patent does not conflict with any existing patent (granted in that jurisdiction).

French-type patent systems are referred to as 'deposit' systems, where the Patent Office checks patent applications for compliance with filing rules (i.e. has the applicant lodged the correct forms and paid the correct fees?) but they do NOT check for conflicts with existing granted patents, nor do they necessarily check if the subject of the application is new, non-obvious, industrially-applicable (which it must be to be patentable). If a conflict with an existing patent arises at a later date, the conflict is resolved at that time.

The full French phrase behind SGDG is 'brevets sont délivrés sans examen préalable, aux risques et périls des demandeurs, et sans garantie soit de la réalité, de la nouveauté ou du mérite de l’invention, soit de la fidélité ou de l’exactitude de la description ' which translates as 'patents are granted without prior examination, at the risk of applicants, and without guarantee of the existence, novelty or merits of the invention, or the truth or accuracy of the description ".

Now you know!
Nigel.

Nutting,

Thank you for the clarification.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 pm 
Field Grade

Good evening,
Please d'nt be severe for my english which is very bad,i am french.I am an old gun user for uplland shooting when i was young,a shooter owning a Darne was very proud,as these guns were considered as very good ones.
Your Darne is stamped Type 10.It belongs to te R series (big key).
The R10 was the least expensive shotgun made by Darne,with case colored breech,few if any engravings .
A little more expensive was the R11 ,same gun except for the silver colored breech and light engraving.
These two types were the main selling of the Darne factory,each gunstore 40 years before ,in France ,had 2 or 3 of these guns for sale.
More expensive R13 and R15 types wore converging discs ,more fancy engravings ,generally they were obtained only to order.
The very best of the production were the V (little key) series with a different closing system,highly engraved.....and very expensive!!!So they are scarce ones.
The stamps on your gun mean:
65.....it is the length of the chamber (2 and a half inches)
three palms.TRIPLE EPREUVE...the barrels have been proof tested to 1300 bars (18500 pounds/square inch)The barrels only!!!!
PT with 1 crown.....the whole gun has been proof tested to 900 bars (12800 pounds/square inch)
18,2 .....it is the size of the bore in mm (0,7165 inch)
These Darne were very good guns for upland hunting: light weight and very good barrels ,very good patterns,able to shoot a lot of cartriges without any trouble ;and if wear appeared it was easy to correct this.
The only point of weakness is the screw fastening the stock to the reciever :sometimes it splits the stock just behind the reciever.It is a good idea to tighten this screw if any play appears.
You have a very good gun ,as long as you shoot ammunitions no more than 2 1/2 inches in length,it will last a lot of time.
I wish you a long use of your Darne.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am 
Field Grade

I csnnot express the gratitude I have for the info given on my darne. When I first got this gun I thought it was just another ordinary double and the truth is I paid $100 for it so the seller had no Idea either. I have shot 2 3/4" low brass thru it with some sucess. Now I am struggling with the idea of selling it and putting the money to a good over/under for I have many doubles. Either way thanks so much for the input and can only hope I can help someone else out on this website as you did with me. Ed.