CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck C-Lect-Choke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked up a New Haven 20 ga the other day and noticed the choke was stuck on it.I figured I could wrap a rag around it and grab it with some pliers.Tried that and didn't work.Any suggestions?BTW it is screwed all the way down,so I'm guessing the would be full choke?

Post subject: Re: Stuck C-Lect-Choke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, all the way in (clockwise) is full. Do you see any rust? Try standing the barrel up with the muzzle immersed in penetrating oil for a day or two, then use a pipe wrench,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I will try that.Ever used PB Blaster on a barrel?Wonder if it would hurt it?Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 pm 
Field Grade

good luck with PB blaster, i have a 500 barrel with a choke stuck and i soaked it in PB Blaster for 5 days and it still didnt budge. i tried heat and cold, light taps with hammer. nothing would budge it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't know about PB blaster (never used it) but I've had very good luck with "Kroil".......Art

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm 
Crown Grade

All the above products SHOULD work. I would add Liquid Wrench penetrant. Be patient. You'll get it loose. {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

There are times that no amount of soak or heat/tapping etc. will work:
when the choke is damaged.

An adjustable choke can have a cracked or broken collet finger and subsequent deformity of the external collar or threads to basically lock the pieces together.

A screw-in choke can be expanded by shot pounding and even bulge to the point of expanding the barrel and show in the external contours. I have samples and pictures that I have posted of these occurrences.

An extreme amount of rust may also make so much expansion/interference that any heat that isn't red-hot (or at least starting to reach that temp.) will fail to break loose.
I got one loose (finally) that had so much rust nugget that it looked like cancer inside the choke hole in the barrel once the tube was removed (I had to split that one and it still took plenty of force to move).

Kirby

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Kirb,
You split the barrel or the choke? :AU