CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Midas Choke Tube/steel shot through them-Yes or No
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Can you shoot steel shot out of these?

I believe the answer is no but need to know for sure as I couldn't find an answer on the Browning website.

Post subject: Re: Browning Midas Choke Tube/steel shot through them-Yes or
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Why couldn't ya, it's not a FULL is it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:02 pm 
Limited Edition

They are I/C, Mod and I/M...they are not marked for steel and the Browning website doesn't state yes or no, but Midway USA states not steel shot compatible.

I would assume they were ok for steel until I saw that on Midway USA (they're a very reputable company)...so, I thought I would ask those in the know.

I'll e-mail Browning and find out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Browning's regular choke tubes (the ones that ship with most of them/flush mount) are made of 17-4 stainless...the Midas are not...as a matter of fact...not until you get back into the Goose Bands does it state 17-4 stainless again.

No worries, I have Trulocks for steel but I have these chokes that came with one of the used Golds I bought and was going to use them as well...will just keep them for Doves/Small game if I can't shoot steel through them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
Limited Edition

And it looks like I'll be calling them...no e-mail contact and when I called it stated to call during regular business hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 am 
Tournament Grade

tidmarshsmith5- you can shoot steel through any choke as long as its not to tight rule of thumb one size bigger than the choke you want to shoot. Ex mod lead= steel full imclead=mod steel just dont' use lead full=way to tight for steel=steel slug. those tubes will shoot fine with no problem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:49 am 
Limited Edition

I gave Browning a call...talked to a gentleman there named Mike and he said, "Steel shot is fine through Midas chokes" but that I really should consider the Waterfowl tubes for consistent use of steel shot. I asked why and he said the steel would more than likely erode the finish on the Midas tubes.

I e-mailed Midway USA and their response is that I need to call Browning as they do not have a technical department to know if you can or not however they list them as non-steel shot compatible on their website.

Thanks for the answers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tidmarsh its all about sales just use the midas tubes you will be fine trust me i have afriend with citori white lighting that use midas tubes for trap in a league he shoots prolly from 20 60 rounds through it a year and has been for 5 years