CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg Forend Tube *RESOLVED*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone.

I was planning on getting a surefire forend for a while, but decided that instead of spending 350-400 on one of those that I'd be better off getting a forend with some rails and invest in an awesome flashlight.

Unfortunately my mossy came with one of those POS forends that don't have a tube...

I'd like to purchase this forend http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2765 ... LED_FOREND but can't figure out what length tube I need to buy. The Q&A for this item on brownells provides conflicting information...

It states that the rail on the bottom is 6 inches, and the front of the forend looks to extend just beyond the rail... 7 and 5/8 is the more "modern" size right?

Anyone have experience with this product? I am also open to suggestions on other forends.

Follow up

Purchased a "promag" 7 3/4 tube from manventureoutpost.com. It included the nut.

Fit perfectly on the new forend.

Everything installed just fine but the action is much less smooth now. The promag rails seem to have a lot less "spring room"

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I give this community an A+

Now I just need to figure out what sort of weaponlight to get...

Last edited by Alexotronic on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Forend Tube
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think I'm reading it the same way you are, it's a 6-inch rail on a forearm that looks to be about 7.5-inches long oal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've also heard people using these or similar mounts with success, right in front of the foreend.

On my old 590A1, I went super cheap. I had an extra set of scope rings, and an extra pair of short scope bases (short weaver rails). I secured the rails together, back to back, using small screws and nuts through the holes. I then put one scope ring on the mag tube, and put the rail in that scope ring which gave me a free rail on which I mounted my TLR-1. It held up fine, but yeah it was ghetto :P .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got your PM but it's impossible to reply with the stupid mobile format of this site.

I'm not sure what my tube length is.. Never measured it but I think it's the 6 5/8"

And Solo as my pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Found a good post about tube lengths viewtopic.php?f=7&t=187023&view=previous

Still doesn't help me though. I could get the 6inch and then get that hogue adapter if it's not long enough...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Alexotronic wrote:
Found a good post about tube lengths viewtopic.php?f=7&t=187023&view=previous

Still doesn't help me though. I could get the 6inch and then get that hogue adapter if it's not long enough...

What model and year is your Mossberg?

You said that it doesn't have a tube. I assume that means it doesn't have the metal action slide tube inside of the forearm, is that right?

Is yours like this (click on photo for larger version)...

Or is it like this...

If yours is like the first photo, then the replacement forearm that you posted won't work. You need to get the action slide tube assembly and nut first (parts #28 and #30 in the second photo).

The slide assembly comes in two different lengths...
Mossberg Action Slide Tube Assembly 7-3/4"
or...
Mossberg Action Slide Tube Assembly 6-3/4"

And, of course, the nut comes in two different lengths also...
Mossberg Action Tube Nut 7-3/4"
or...
Forend Adapter Nut Required for Mossberg 6-3/4" Forend Tubes

I hope this helps.

For more info, you might take a look at this thread that I posted a while back when I replaced the wood forearm on my 835. Note, I originally used the longer forend adapter nut, then I modified the forearm so I could use the original short nut.
Fitting Hogue forend to Mossberg 835

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a diver..."
"Nonsense son, no-one has ever done both."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:43 am 
Tournament Grade

And if you want lots of rail, here's a couple other forearms that might work (after you have the slide tube and nut)...

ERGO Three Rail Shotgun Forend, Mossberg 500/590 Short 5 13/16'' tube length, Black

SureFire M70 Picatinny rail forend for Mossberg 500/590

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah, it's one of those POS maverick forends without the tube.

I'm aware that I need to buy the tube and nut, and that they come in two different lengths. But I am currently trying to solve the mystery of which length I need to buy for the brownells forearm that I posted above. Emailed the manufacturers but probably won't get a response until Monday (if any).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am 
Tournament Grade

EMA Tactical's web site says it's 7.874" long. It's probably designed to fit the longer slide tube. Of course, that's just a guess.

It's a polymer forearm though, so it shouldn't be too difficult to modify it to fit the short slide tube, similar to what I did with the Hogue forearm on my 835. I think it's better to have a little room between the forend and the barrel mount ring.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you're looking to mount a light, you might consider the laserlyte tri-rail

found it on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the help Mickster. If brownells sells the tubes I may ask them to fit it. And then just buy it all assembled.

If not I think I will buy the 6inch. then get the houge adapter if needed... or perhaps return it and get the 7 in.

lasyerlyte tri-rail looks cool, but I really want to get rid of the POS forend that is on there now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Field Grade

Given what I read from the reviews on the Brownells website about that forend, I think it's a good conclusion it properly fits the "long" tube... the 7 5/8" tube. That is the standard metal tube that comes on all modern tactical Mossbergs now (the ones that don't have the pinned "Maverick" style forends, that is). My 590A1 definitely came with the 7 5/8" tube. Later I obtained a 6 1/2" tube because I wanted to switch to a different forend... but that's another story.

There's a good pic and explanation of the length diff between the tubes at Havlin Sales. You can also buy the tubes from them.
http://www.havlinsales.com/
Go to the link "Modern Shotgun Parts" in the left side list.

-B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

I haven't dredged up the specific threads where I read it... but I have read that the Hogue "adapter nut" isn't really designed to allow you to mount just *any* "long" forend to a "short" tube... but rather the nut is designed specifically for fitting the Hogue forend... thus many people using that adapter nut with non-hogue forends end up having to get out the dremel tool. Not that it's a major job... just expect some minor fitting.

Oh... and I note that the tube length thread you referred to used that same pic of the tubes from the Havlin Sales website I sent you to... I guess I should have read the whole thing first!

-B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Follow up

Purchased a "promag" 7 3/4 tube from manventureoutpost.com. It included the nut.

Everything installed just fine but the action is much less smooth now. The promag rails seem to have a lot less "spring room"

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I give this community an A+ :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alexotronic wrote:
Follow up

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I give this community an A+ :)

I'm glad it worked out for you. But why is the action less smooth now? Is the new forend tube rubbing on the mag tube, or...?

Alexotronic wrote:

Yeah, me too. I still haven't decided what I want yet.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Forend Tube *RESOLVED*
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Another +1 for TLR-1 light. Excellent 135 lumens output, 2.5 hours regulated run time, lightweight, practical engagement switches, and durability. Gives Surefire's a run for the civilian money at <<1/2 the price. I own/use 2. MidwayUSA frequently sales these for <$99 reg price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Just came back to check my thread after researching and ordering a TLR-1 (strobe). Very happy about your +1 makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

The action is not "difficult" but there is a noticeable difference.

The roughness of the action is due to 1. the lack of spring in the rails and 2. On the left side rail there is a gently angled portion that rubs against a part of the receiver. (not sure exactly what its purpose is though) I think that the promag rails are a bit thicker and the angle may be slightly harsher.

Do bear in mind though that I have not used any oil... so hopefully it will smooth up once I lube it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm all about warm and fuzzy and having a polite yet effective Plan-B to "deal with" everyone (that needs such)...

Reliable lubrication of any physical contact points on anything mechanical IS VERY GOOD.
Really!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alexotronic wrote:
The roughness of the action is due to 1. the lack of spring in the rails and 2. On the left side rail there is a gently angled portion that rubs against a part of the receiver. (not sure exactly what its purpose is though) I think that the promag rails are a bit thicker and the angle may be slightly harsher.

Do bear in mind though that I have not used any oil... so hopefully it will smooth up once I lube it.

It sounds like you need to alter the shape of the rails a little bit. They shouldn't rub against the receiver at all, and you shouldn't need to lubricate them either. A tiny bit of lube in the slots inside the receiver is all you need. If the rails are rubbing, then lubrication will not prevent the action from binding eventually, possibly with disastrous results. If I were you, I'd make sure the rails slide straight back into the receiver without any friction. I'd probably file and sand them down, and then touch them up with cold blue.