CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most reliable 10 gauge semiauto ?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Considering both new and used...

Not concerned with non-toxic or steel shot...

Just lead...

What is the most reliable semiauto 10 gauge shotgun ?

Ithaca
Remington
Browning
Other

Post subject: Re: Most reliable 10 gauge semiauto ?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Until Beretta makes one, the Browning Gold light 10 is pretty hard to beat. The price is sometimes pretty hard to take though. I've seen them with thousands of documented rounds of steel ran through them with no issues. A tad bit heavy to carry around. I believe the Remington is the same design, action and gas system.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 pm 
Limited Edition

My Remington SP-10 was purchased in 1992 and has worked flawlessly. I love it and have used it as my prime waterfowl gun since I bought it. I use it for ducks, geese and turkey.

It is a little heavy but no big deal since your not going to use it walking fields. Recoil is low and it swings really nice. Go 30" barrel though as the 26 does not feel right to me.

It is a little of a challenge to disassemble but once you figure it out, it is no problem to get back together.

The SP-10 is the old Ithaca Mag-10 design. They sold the patent to Remington in the late 80's when Ithaca went bankrupt for the first time.

If you buy one, you wont be disappointed.

Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had an sp10 and had no problems with it but sold it for the browning cause I wanted a lighter gun and a camo finish (my sp was wood) when I used it for turkey season carrying it up and down the mountains. The sp10 is I believe about a pound heavier. I haven't put a lot of rounds through the browning (or really the sp10 either) but it has been good. I do notice the recoil more with the browning though, but it is a 10 gauge, and I'm not a big guy. I think the browning is a better made gun with a more modern design, but would not try to talk you out of an SP-10.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Put Ithaca at the bottom of the list. I was selling guns back then, and I got on a first name basis with the factory ordering parts. I don't know what all Remington changed, but i have not heard of any problems with the SP-10 or the Browning. I would go Browning, because the SP-10 is as heavy as the Ithaca, and it was a load and a half. I had 3 BPS 10 gauges, and had the last one specially lightened, and although still not light, it handled a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'll second specklebelly's comments. My SP10 has been 100% reliable. It is a real cannon, and is a real duck/goose swatter.

It's weight, gas recoil, and good recoil pad make for a very shootable 10 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm 
Field Grade

I have nothing but praise for the SP-10. Wish I would have purchased it 3 years ago, would've saved allot of money I have spent on 12 gauge ammo. I am in a wheelchair and have no problems getting it up to my shoulder and swinging with it, 3 shots cycle out of it....sweeeet....don't even sweat the recoil. Tired of pounding the birds and then having them fly off? The mighty 10 gauge is the answer and Rogers Sporting Goods sells cases of ammo at a reasonable price...