CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington SPR 310 12 Gauge O/U
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 am 
Field Grade

I can get a pretty good deal on one of these new. I have heard good things about them, but I also know you get what you pay for especially in O/Us. Anyone have any opinions? I won't be shooting a lot just often. I am by no means a competitive shooter just a guy having some fun. It sounds to me that these are much better guns than other O/Us for the same price. Plus I will have to say that I do trust Russia as I see many AKs still going strong that are beat to hell. Not saying this gun is made the same way, but it is a little incentive. Anyways if anyone has an opinion let me. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Remington SPR 310 12 Gauge O/U
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 am 
Field Grade

Oh also does anyone know what other chokes if any fit this gun? thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Guns like these are a crap shoot. You might get one that works fine for years. You might get one that is junk from day one.

Honestly, you're way better off with a used Browning Citori.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

raptor16 wrote:
I can get a pretty good deal on one of these new. I have heard good things about them, but I also know you get what you pay for especially in O/Us. Anyone have any opinions? I won't be shooting a lot just often. I am by no means a competitive shooter just a guy having some fun. It sounds to me that these are much better guns than other O/Us for the same price. Plus I will have to say that I do trust Russia as I see many AKs still going strong that are beat to hell. Not saying this gun is made the same way, but it is a little incentive. Anyways if anyone has an opinion let me. Thanks

Here is what people that own and shoot the gun have to say.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=241664

I purchased a full set of both 12ga & 20ga extended tubes from Trulock and couldn't be more pleased with my choice for my Baikals. Reasonably priced as well.

Here we go STEELERS here we GO...!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm 
Field Grade

What would you guys pay for this gun new?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

raptor16 wrote:
What would you guys pay for this gun new?

They should have to pay you to take one.

Save your money for a better quality gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:27 pm 
Field Grade

I don't really have to a way to get more money. I'm 14 and my dad doesn't pay for my equipment as opposed to most dads who buy their sons nice guns for them. I don't have a way to make money right now and my allowance is only 25 a month. So it will take me a while to save up for even a used gun. What kind of gun are you shooting? I have been researching this gun and many people love them and just a few don't like them. I am not being disrespectful. I apologize if you think I am, I know I haven't earned my right to mouth off yet. Yes, I have been looking for a Citori and found one I was going to buy but they sold it that day. I'm just saying most people like their SPR310 a lot. What gun or guns do you have drsfmd?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a 310 and it gave me alot of trouble, I got rid of it and got a Lanber from CDNN for $499.00. By far a much better gun than the 310, here is the link to their catalog.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

raptor16 wrote:
What gun or guns do you have drsfmd?

Irrelevant.

Understand something. With such a small amount to spend, it's even more important for you to spend wisely. You can't afford to replace it, and you can't afford to get it fixed... so buying right the first time is important.

An SPR won't meet the quality or reliability styandards that you need to have met. It's not like this is a backup, or one of fourty O/U's you have in the safe. If you can't find a Browning Citori or SKB 600 used that's in your price range, forget about the O/U market altogether. You'll be much better served with a quality used autoloader, as you can get much more gun for your money... look into the Remington 1100/1187 or the Beretta 390 series guns.

You may not see it this way right now, but I'm doing you a huge favor telling you this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:04 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =211710277

That's a new one for $445.

I dunno how much you have, but it might be wiser to go with a high quality pump gun and save up for a couple years to get a used Citori or Cynergy. You can get good ones for around $1000.

I know how you feel on o/u, I really like them and I bought a RRL when I was 18, which isn't popular with people either, I loved that shotgun. I just feel better when I'm carrying around a nice o/u. That said, you get more gun for the money with a pump at that price level.

Somebody here might tell you what you can get a good used auto for. I don't shoot those so I can't say. If you're just going to hunt with it or occasionally shoot clays this gun might work okay, but they have to cut corners to make an o/u at that price level.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:28 pm 

Quote:
I won't be shooting a lot just often. I am by no means a competitive shooter just a guy having some fun.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=246207#ixzz1BuaiBUwy

This statement alone tells me the SPR will do just fine for you. I know a bloke who shoots the piss out of his and both he and I are still waiting for it to break.

Quote:
I am not being disrespectful. I apologize if you think I am, I know I haven't earned my right to mouth off yet.

Read more: posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=246207#ixzz1Buaqdwlr

So long as it's YOUR money, you have every right to buy whatever you like and no, you need not justify your choice to anyone.

If the SPR doesn't work and you want a solid shooting gun that will do all you need, I suggest the Benelli Nova. Upland, trap, waterfowl, clays, it can handle all of that so long as you like a pump action shotgun.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Big Shooter wrote:
If the SPR doesn't work

If the SPR doesn't work, he doesn't have the financial wherewithal to replace it...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:46 pm 
Limited Edition

raptor16 wrote:
I know I haven't earned my right to mouth off yet.

Well, I don't know of anyone who has the right to "mouth off". Giving advice ... yes.

I have a friend who has the gun you mentioned. Honestly, it is NOT a good choice for anyone to do anything with. Poorly built, and inferior materials. For the money you are probably talking, IF I were going to purchase a gun in that price range, I would go to Academy Sports and get a Yildiz. While they are far from a Browning or Beretta, they are proving to be a fair gun for the money invested.

Used Citoris are available for $700 and up. Mark's Outdoors in Birmingham ALA has several on their website at most any time. I have no idea where you are located, but if it's anywhere near them you might want to take a look.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hidalgo for the sake of discussion here... Please expand upon in more detail about the inferior materials used in a Baikal O/U for everyone following this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 am 
Limited Edition

jds wrote:
Hidalgo for the sake of discussion here... Please expand upon in more detail about the inferior materials used in a Baikal O/U for everyone following this thread.

Sure thing.

The wood looks like a piece of plywood. The bluing is sparse and not well done. There are rough edges on most of the metalwork.

Anything else I can do for you?

For the sake of discussion here? You gotta be kidding me. :roll:

Why didn't you just say: "I don't think you know what you're talking about!"? :roll:

You didn't challenge anyone else who said anything bad about this model gun. Look ... I'm not a veteran here, but I know enough to recognize a piece of crap when I see one. Of course, not everyone's standards for quality are on the same level.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:12 am 

JDS, there's obviously two schools here:

A. There's the school that owns high end guns. They have the means to do so and thus they indulge. They see ONE Baikal malfunction and therefore all Baikals are junk. You and anyone asking about Baikals are to accept this as gospel because they own high end guns and thus their knowledge/experience is beyond reproach.

B. Then there's everyone else, including you. The fact that your Baikals perform to your expectations means absolutely zilch. You are either deluded or just flat out lying. You can't possibly expect anyone to believe you because if you knew one iota about shotguns, you never would own Baikals in the first place. :roll:

Quote:
You didn't challenge anyone else who said anything bad about this model gun.

You are definitely new here aren't you? The battles between JDS, Marist89, SS, and DRFSMD are nothing short of legendary. And entertaining.

Quote:
but I know enough to recognize a piece of crap when I see one

The same statement could also apply to the AK47. Go to the military channel web page and search on the top 10 assault rifles. Be sure to check out the credentials of those interviewed as they go through the list.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Get the baikal. I was so pleased with my 310 I bought[no not the company] a mp 18 sporter for trap. These guns have 1.5 million units in service worldwide are built like tanks and are designed for a useful life of between 30 and 40 thousand rounds.Some of the guys around here would rather have you sit on the couch than go to the range if you can't afford their gun of choice. Check out the Baikal website, in English, and see what this manufacturer produces.The I love my Baikal site might balance some of these well meaning but misguided posts here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:23 am 
Limited Edition

Big Shooter wrote:
You are definitely new here aren't you? The battles between JDS, Marist89, SS, and DRFSMD are nothing short of legendary. And entertaining.

No, I've seen the peeing matches many times. The only difference is that I am NOT here to indulge in anyone's "battles". The site is informative, important to some, and "entertaining" to others I suppose (at times). I just don't like (nor appreciate) the childish sarcasm that comes down when someone voices an opinion that differs from what a certain individual might think. There is an adult manner in which to go about a discussion. And then there's the childish way. Smarta** remarks and snide comments simply instigate arguments, insults, and in the end they lose the entire point of the topic. And no one wins ... especially the person making the initial request for information.

FWIW, we'd all be better off if we acted like we were friends rather than a debate team. :roll:

greengael wrote:
Some of the guys around here would rather have you sit on the couch than go to the range if you can't afford their gun of choice.

GG, if you are referring to my comments, then I came across wrong and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I would never recommend that a person "sit on the couch" instead of obtaining a gun within their personal financial means and that met their personal needs. But in my opinion, the Yildiz is a better gun for the money than the Remington that was mentioned in the original post. And as per your recommendation, I would also recommend that the prospective buyer also do some reading in the Yildiz forum before making a decision. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Hidalgo, in light of this post you may wish to examine the tone of your last effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:34 am 
Limited Edition

greengael wrote:
Hidalgo, in light of this post you may wish to examine the tone of your last effort.

That's a prime example of what I was referring to in the LAST post. :roll:

Did you not read the part that said "...if I came across wrong then I apologize" ????

And if you are referring to the post where I stood my ground and refused to be intimidated, then you'll just have to live with that one. No way, no how am I going to listen to that. There's nothing childish about standing your ground when someone uses that "tone".

And then after the apology and clarification, you still feel the need to instigate more discussion in this manner? :roll: :lol:

Honestly ... it seems that there are more arguments here than there are discussions.