ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subsonic Ammunition
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know if a 12ga shotgun firing subsonic clay shooting cartridges is louder than a .410 firing regular cartridges? I shoot in a rather noise sensitive area and would like to know if I can solve the problem by buying subsonic ammunition for my 12 gauge or if a .410 would be even quieter, even with supersonic ammunition

Post subject: Re: Subsonic Ammunition
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 am 
Crown Grade

make 12gauge subs.
i think they would be as loud as each other. but shooting subs will reduce the noise.
if you are going to shoot game, then load up som subsonic #4.

they are sold here as low noise cartridges. and low recoil.

as you are down 1/5th of the speed, shooting game with #4 is advisable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 am 
Field Grade

I've shot low noise low recoil 12 guage factory loaded shells. The velocity was not on the box but I doubt they were "subsonic". Also, the only shot size I saw available in the stores in these reduced loads was #8.

Bottom line is that they did kick a bit less but the reduction in noise level did not seem to be that much.

Last edited by trdr7 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 am 
Crown Grade

Hastings used to sell a "suppressor" for shotguns - it was a 36" barrel extension that screwed into the the choke tube thread. A writer brought one out to the club that worked with Beretta Mobil chokes - in his 390, a standard 12 gauge was still audible, but hearing protection didn't do much as the sound was fairly low. Its original purpose was for scaring ducks and geese in urban parks, etc. Not sure if they still make it.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =198450976

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm 
Field Grade

The new TV show "Sons Of Guns" featuring "Red Jacket Firearms" (a dealer/gunsmith) on Discovery Channel demonstrated a supressed 12 guage shotgun they just developed. It cost $2500 and the noise level was 144 decibels supressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

The barrel extension, IIRC, is/was about 100-150

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Shooting subsonic ammo without a moderator/silencer over the barrel is largely pointless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

B-P shells have a sponsored forum on SGW - scroll down and take a look at their shells. I shoot their subsonics low-recoil - low noise shells when I'm just out bustin' clays for the fun of it.

They definitely are less loud than regulars. Softer too.

They apparently are used in Europe to keep range noise down.

May I suggest you consider giving them a try?

In general, BP shells are very nice shells and they are going to introduce non-tox loads soon. Their shells are loaded to European specs so the pressures are lower than SAAMI. I kill a lot of pheasant with their 2 1/2 inch shell.

Nice.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:00 am 
Crown Grade

trdr7 wrote:
The new TV show "Sons Of Guns" featuring "Red Jacket Firearms" (a dealer/gunsmith) on Discovery Channel demonstrated a supressed 12 guage shotgun they just developed. It cost $2500 and the noise level was 144 decibels supressed.

we have complete access to suppressors / moderated shotguns here in the uk. no special licence or tax. the audiable noise from them is way less than 144 db. it sounded like a very loud fart. i`ve used one myself !

the cartridges are readily available, usually marketed as low recoil,low noise, "trainer" cartridges.

-keep shooting !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 am 
Crown Grade

Bobby14

There isn't a whole heap of difference between a "normal" .410 load and a subsonic 12; certainly not the sort of step change that you would need in a noise sensitive area.

As has been said the subsonics only make a real improvement when used in conjunction with some form of moderator / suppressor.

A demo of subsonics and normal 12 bore shells is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__xEwuM50

Eug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
the audiable noise from them is way less than 144 db. it sounded like a very loud fart. i`ve used one myself !

I think we have all used a very loud fart before! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I have tried some B&P "Sub Sound" 24 gram shells - I didn't notice much difference from the regular ones. Everyone seems to agree that a .410 will not be quieter, so I'll stick to my 12ga. Mainly, I shoot turtle doves, quail and other small birds so I don't much like the idea of a huge suppressor fitted to my barrel...