CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Renato Gamba
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Any Gamba owners?
Love mine how about you?
Any using tube sets and how do you like them?

Post subject: Re: Renato Gamba
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've had a Gamba trap gun for many years. Great gun...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I have Daytona and the chokes are not well marked and are hard to understand which is which. I am looking to get a set of extended chokes as soon as I can find someone that makes them. Other than that I love the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:27 am 
Field Grade

I realize this is an old thread but here's 2 cents....

I've got a Mauser-Bauer model 72E skeet gun with 28 inch barrels. This gun was made by Renato Gamba. The one that I have has the blued steel receiver with scrolls. The gun is finely made for a production gun. The only issue that I have experienced with this gun is that I needed to clean the internal trigger group parts of gunk after the first 1000 rounds or so. I think a combination of old organic lubricant and carbon in the air at the skeet range caused the trigger to get gummy and the selector to not properly hand off the trigger-sear. A cleaning and re-lube with synthetic lubricants solved the problem. I would consider periodic cleaning such as this normal maintenance for a finely made gun. I really do not know how other target shooters expect to shoot guns thousands of rounds with no internal cleaning. This gun appears to be based on an Antonio Zoli made guild action.

Next, I have a Werner Special Trap gun made by Konrad Werner. Inside the gun is marked G. Gamba. This is basically a Gamba model 620 with a grayed receiver (as opposed to the case colored or nickeled receiver on Gamba marked guns) and an adjustable comb. This gun has the detachable trigger group. The previous owner also had this gun outfitted with Briley thin-wall choke tubes which I do not believe to be original to manufacture. This gun is proofed 1969 (XXV).

Lastly, I also have a Gamba Edinburgh Trap top single model which is an upgraded steel actioned Franchi Alcione/Falconet single trap model.

(9/4/2012- update- I have discovered the Edinburgh Trap is actually a Franchi 451 action and not the later Alcione action.)

What I like most about the Gamba guns is the fine Val Trompia style and craftsmanship. Guido and Renato Gamba have both stated publicly that their attitude is/was to build the finest quality european guns that they could. Renato has expressed clearly over the years that he has no desire to compete with the typical flashy guns built for the American market. His attitude seems to be- if Americans do not appreciate the guns that he makes, then they can buy something else.

Last edited by dlsawyer on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:35 am 
Field Grade

jm9x23 wrote:
I have Daytona and the chokes are not well marked and are hard to understand which is which. I am looking to get a set of extended chokes as soon as I can find someone that makes them. Other than that I love the gun.

Briley states on their web site that they will custom make extended Renato Gamba chokes for $85 each.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:32 pm 
Crown Grade

dlsawyer wrote:
I realize this is an old thread but here's 2 cents....

I've got a Mauser-Bauer model 72E skeet gun with 28 inch barrels. This gun was made by Renato Gamba. The one that I have has the blued steel receiver with scrolls. The gun is finely made for a production gun. The only issue that I have experienced with this gun is that I needed to clean the internal trigger group parts of gunk after the first 1000 rounds or so. I think a combination of old organic lubricant and carbon in the air at the skeet range caused the trigger to get gummy and the selector to not properly hand off the trigger-sear. A cleaning and re-lube with synthetic lubricants solved the problem. I would consider periodic cleaning such as this normal maintenance for a finely made gun. I really do not know how other target shooters expect to shoot guns thousands of rounds with no internal cleaning. This gun appears to be based on an Antonio Zoli made guild action.

Next, I have a Werner Special Trap gun made by Konrad Werner. Inside the gun is marked G. Gamba. This is basically a Gamba model 620 with a grayed receiver (as opposed to the case colored or nickeled receiver on Gamba marked guns) and an adjustable comb. This gun has the detachable trigger group. The previous owner also had this gun outfitted with Briley thin-wall choke tubes which I do not believe to be original to manufacture. This gun is proofed 1969 (XXV).

Lastly, I also have a Gamba Edinburgh Trap top single model which is an upgraded steel actioned Franchi Alcione/Falconet single trap model.

What I like most about the Gamba guns is the fine Val Trompa style and craftsmanship. Guido and Renato Gamba have both stated publicly that their attitude is/was to build the finest quality european guns that they could. Renato has expressed clearly over the years that he has no desire to compete with the typical flashy guns built for the American market. His attitude seems to be- if Americans do not appreciate the guns that he makes, then they can buy something else.

Sorry to jump in at this late date but, the Mauser-Bauer Model 72E was built by F.lli Gamba/G. Gamba, not Renato Gamba. The Gamba Model Edinburgh O/U's and top singles
were built by a cousin, Renato Gamba. Part of the confusion regarding the different Gamba companies may be due to the fact that Mauser-Bauer in Michigan also imported pistols manufactured by Renato Gamba under license from Mauser in Germany.

FWIW, Konrad Wirnhier won a gold medal in Skeet at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. Although he did not build the guns bearing his name, he collaborated with the folks at F.lli Gamba in the design and execution of the Model 72, aka Model Montreal, which differs noticeably from the earlier F.lli Gamba/G. Gamba Model Astor 620 which employed a modified Kersten top crossbolting arrangement vs. the 72's sliding underbolt. Both models shared a detachable trigger mechanism. The Model 72 was marketed by Rottweil who may also have used Konrad Wirnhier's endorsement. I especially liked the later Model Montreal 81 in 86 cm unsingle configuration with the ability to adjust P.O.I. Unfortunately, these guns were poorly promoted and did not receive the recognition they deserved.

When F.lli Gamba ceased operation in 1988-89, they sold the design and tooling of their newly developed Boss actioned Model SL-88 to their cousin, Renato Gamba, who currently produces it as the Model Daytona. No other F.lli Gamba designs were acquired by Renato Gamba.

During my last visit to Gardone, I met with Guido Gamba who showed me a number of NOS F.lli Gamba models ranging from the Model 496EA to three Model SL-88's built as prototypes for Remington with one bearing the Remington name in gold letters on the bottom of the frame. It is my understanding that the latter guns have since been sold but, some other SL-88's remain. The Gamba family currently operates a machine tool dealership on the site of the former F.lli Gamba factory.

IMO, the products of both firms represent good value for money.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 am 
Field Grade

Thank you for the extended commentary on my posting regarding

Mauser Bauer 72E and Konrad Wirnhier shotguns.

My Konrad Wirnhier shotgun is definitely a Gamba Model 620 (modified ersten Action) and not the same model as the Rotweill Model 72. The Korad Wirnhier gun has the detachable trigger mechanism with flat main springs that is similar to the detachable trigger mechanism of the Daytona Model (coiled springs) which I believe to be evolved from it.

I recently also purchased a like new Mauser-Bauer Model 71E shotgun.

Both the Mauser Bauer Model 71E and Mauser-Bauer Model 72E are of similar modified Kersten Action as the model 620.

The differences between the two:

The Model 71E has a color case hardened frame and simple border engraving and double triggers. The model 71 barrels have a fine checkered matted top rib.

The Model 72E has a blued/black lacquer receiver and has full coverage arabesque scroll engraving on the receiver and a single selective trigger. The model 72 barrels have a 'machined curves' matted surface similar to that employed on Antonio Zoli guns.

Both guns have a rather plain grain dark Bastogne Walnut stock of glossy finish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the Mauser-Bauer 72E and Mauser-Bauer Model 71E shotguns in my possession are marked RG in a circle on the barrel flats. I was under the belief that this denoted Renato Gamba manufacture.

I had also been led to believe that Renato Gamba and Guido Gamba companies operated concurrently for a period of time from the late 1960s into the late 1980s. It has been widely reported that Renato Gamba made the Mauser model shotguns imported into the US by Mauser-Bauer in Warren Michigan.

Renato is the older brother of Guido. In the late 1980s Guido sold out his remaining intellectual interest in the Gamba Model 88 (Daytona) to his brother Renato. Guido had decided to concentrate on his machine tool business. Guido works with his son Tomasso. The Firm of Renato Gamba is now run by Renato's son Carlo- although Renato is still present at the firm on a daily basis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by dlsawyer on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Renato Gamba, Oxford 90, 12 gauge, false side plates, SXS that I would like to sell.

Nice light field type gun, virtually new condition, with Briley steel rated thin walls, (5), that 2 have been used for two rounds of skeet, after installation. I don't want to fit the gun to myself, especially now at my age. Plus I am getting farther and farther away from the SXS guns as I grow older. Actually, going on 75 next month, and I need to down size the collection.

Any interest and I will get pictures out.

NRA Benefactor