CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW Tactical Over & Under Shorty...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, first post.

I have very recently seen an article from the SHOTSHOW regarding a tactical short-barreled O/U, however now I can't find the article for the life of me.

I believe it was a Mossberg, however am uncertain.

Anybody know anything about this gun?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: NEW Tactical Over & Under Shorty...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm 
Field Grade

This one?

http://soldiersystems.net/2010/12/31/maverick-hs12-tactical-overunder/

- Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 pm 
Field Grade

per Sporting Times Personal Defense 2010

Maverick HS12
$450 (may have changed since the magazine article)
18.5" barrel
35.5" OAL length
rail for optics on top and for lights / lasers on bottom (similar to Stoeger double defense)
fiber optic front sight
extractors
6lb 4 oz loaded with a light

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Defa ... dlno=HS-12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 am 
Field Grade

Not a great option for us who can buy High capacity pumpguns, but for people in Australia where pumps are severely restricted, guys buy a lot of Coach guns, so for them this might be a good option.

It is nice and short though. About 35.5", would be bit handier in the house then your average 38.5" Pump gun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Cool looking but not the best choice for a tac. shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,
Just wanted to add some info about this shotgun. I recently obtained one as a christmas gift. It was missing the under-barrel mounted picatinny rail. I attempted to mount a red dot scope only to find that the receiver mounted rail is too narrow to use with standard rings. The milspec for the rails is .835" but the one on the shotgun varies in width from .702" to .805" wide. It's not even parallel front to back. The rings won't clamp-on. I contacted Mossberg about this and they told me I could send the gun back to them and they would "review the issue" and either return the gun to me "as-is" or replace it with a different one. BUT....they are no longer permitted to sell or issue the guns with the rails installed due to some import regulation, and if they send me a new gun it wouldn't have ANY rails on it. They can't even repair the one I already have. Needless to say I am pretty PO'd about this entire deal. I was sold a product that is both defective and no longer supported or available, and I haven't even used it yet. They also wouldn't refund my money for the gun.

I guess I am stuck with a shorty-over/under with non-adjustable sights and no immediate way to mount optics to it. While it is reasonably well made for a cheap gun, it is of no greater value that a more conventional pump or semi-auto. I wonder how it will shoot and what else might be wrong with it.

I am posting this as a warning to anyone who is thinking of ordering one of these to beware that what they say isn't waht you'll get. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Why would it have extractors?

"In the empire of lies, truth is treason!" -Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Racked 870 wrote:
Why would it have extractors?

Why would my forend need to look like a weed-whacker?

But to your question, I would imagine that most people that would buy it would either buy it as a range toy or not know better. No offense intended to those that do/may want one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I have more info. The HS12 shotgun WON'T fire when it is pointed downwards more that about 45 degrees from horizontal. There is a pendulum assembly in the action that swings in front of the trigger when it is pointed downwards. I have to wonder what kind of an idiot would design a Tactical weapon meant for Home Security (HS-12 = Home Security-12 ga) that has a trigger blocker that prevents the gun from firing in certain conditions? Or for that matter any king of dangerous work? This means it won't shoot down a steep hill, down a flight of stairs, from a tree stand, or even close-in ground shots! You would never really know if it would even fire because the pendulum is free-swinging and even jarring the gun would cause it to move. For example, let's say a bad guy is at the bottom of the stairs. You probably couldn't fire. Either he would need to come-up...or you would need to go down to level the action so it would fire. And what about quick action shots at say a wild hog that you just stomped-out of the brush? Bad...bad...bad and stupid idea. Makes me wonder if ALL the Maverick O/U shotguns are designed that way? Mossberg is in a heck of a mess on this one. What if someone realy does need to protect himself or family and can't because his shotgun is disabled? Lawsuits to follow after that boner!

My advice: run as fast as you can away from this model. The HS-12 is a boner that comes pre-configured with a disaster waiting to happen.

I have pictures of the action showing the pendulum and how it blocks the trigger but am not sure how to post them. If anyone knows how to post them and wants to see them let me know.

Post subject: Re: NEW Tactical Over & Under Shorty... THE FIX!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 am 
Utility Grade

Hairy Toes wrote:
I have more info. The HS12 shotgun WON'T fire when it is pointed downwards more that about 45 degrees from horizontal. There is a pendulum assembly in the action that swings in front of the trigger when it is pointed downwards. I have to wonder what kind of an idiot would design a Tactical weapon meant for Home Security (HS-12 = Home Security-12 ga) that has a trigger blocker that prevents the gun from firing in certain conditions? Or for that matter any king of dangerous work? ....
...I have pictures of the action showing the pendulum and how it blocks the trigger but am not sure how to post them. If anyone knows how to post them and wants to see them let me know.

Hey Guys, First post on this site!

First thing I want to say, when I read what Hairy Toes had said, I ran to my HS-12 saying:" NO WAY!!!!" Sure enough, pointed down at 45 or more... Trigger wont budge. I took it upon myself to take apart my second favorite shotgun of all time (My first is my Win 1897 made in 1900!) Sure enough, I saw the pendulum Hairy Toes was talking about. Which meant to me - something has to go.

I love my HS-12. In fact I shoot Trap with it 2-3 times a week! Ok, so maybe it looks funny, and I don't hit much, but I'm young and cant really afford a good trap gun right now. Meanwhile I use it to practice my FUNdamentals. Once I let the serious trap shooters at my range know, that I was there to learn and not to poke fun at the sport, they were extremely welcoming! ANYWAYS, Back to the task.

SO I took it apart, used a small Allen wrench as a punch, and drifted the pin out of the receiver that held the pendulum in place. Oh, I also inspected the area to make sure nothing else was dependent on this part -then I removed it. Once out, (with snap caps) dry fired a few times, at different angles. This proved 2 things, I removed the correct part and I had not damaged anything internal. Once I was satisfied, I put it back together and finished writing this. I have pics as well of before and after, and dont mind sharing them. I doubt this will cause anyone to run out and buy one, but for those of us lurking in the darkness that own these, a simple solution is at hand!

I