CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel porting
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 am 
Field Grade

As I mentioned in my previous thread, I'm planning to get a 28" barrel for the Maverick 88 I'm going to buy but I can't decide if I should get one with the barrel ports or not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the ports?

Post subject: Re: Barrel porting
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:24 am 
Diamond Grade

IMHO there is little if any advantage to porting. Save your money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 am 
Crown Grade

May aid in getting on target after the first shot, but I've never noticed any difference. Con, hope you and any one around you, when you shoot, likes hearing aids. Harder to clean barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Avoid barrel porting.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

Yeah, avoid 'em like the plague. Ask anyone who's owned 'em (myself included).

BobK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

In a word, NO!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many think it helps reduce jump and enables you to get on the second target sooner. I have a Beretta 682 XTrap which is ported. I don't notice any less jump and I also don't notice any additional noise. No one else does either and I don't notice any ones ported barrels when shooting skeet. I wear ear protection so I'm not sure how others are bothered by what ever perceived difference they hear.

I haven't really had any problems cleaning my ported gun. Don't notice any additional time required.

I notice the sporting clays shooters seem to like porting.

Given the choice I would rather have a gun that is not ported because I like the looks of a non ported gun better. Also I notice a lot of good skeet shooters use ported guns.

That's all I know about it.

Last edited by shogan191 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="Greg F."]
What are the advantages:
:arrow: Can't think of a one??
and disadvantages of the ports?
:arrow: It's loud, cost way more then it's worth, a pain in the a$$ to clean..................did I mention it's loud???
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I wear ear protection so I'm not sure how others are bothered by what ever perceived difference they hear.

Every time I read comments about porting noise as in the above quote I think the hearing loss has already occurred. :( That is why they don't hear it. And no I don't intend smart a$$.

I'm not sure my sound meter is suitable/can give meaningful results but when it's warmer and I'm not hobbling around I may give it a try. I think I can lay my hands on a couple similar guns ported and nonported.

http://weightychoice.com/
http://www.androideveryday.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Big "NO" to porting. Perfect waste of a perfectly good shotgun barrel. Save your money and use it to buy shells. EG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't own any that are ported, I do so by choice...I prefer to shoot with people that use un ported guns because ported guns are louder to people standing to the side of them....I don't believe I'd turn down a good bargin on a gun that is ported, But I'm certain I'd not pay even a nickle more to have one with porting.....as far as I can say, a ported gun would be more difficult to sell if I got tired of it.....Art

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 am 
Utility Grade

Greg F. wrote:
As I mentioned in my previous thread, I'm planning to get a 28" barrel for the Maverick 88 I'm going to buy but I can't decide if I should get one with the barrel ports or not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the ports?

It seems to me, if you like it and it makes you more confident in your equipment, go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 am 
Field Grade

Wow, it looks like the negatives greatly outweigh any positives the porting might offer. I will try to find an unported barrel, if I can. Looking at the Mossberg website it looks like they don't sell an unported barrel anymore, so I'll have to find an older one if I can. I've seen them with a fixed modified choke but never one with choke tubes. Anyone know where I can find one? ETA: I found a few on Gunbroker.

I just bought some Hornady Critical Defense 12ga OObuck ammo today when I went to buy my new Maverick 88. Has anyone here tried it yet? What do you think of it? I read it won the NRA Golden Bullseye award for 2011, so it must be pretty good.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new gun, once it gets out of it's 10 day jail sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 am 
Crown Grade

I have to say no for porting, but if you get a great price on a ported barrel don't pass it up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm puzzled every time I hear someone complain about how ported barrels are louder than non-ported. My 500 has a ported barrel, and neither me nor anyone I hunt with have ever noticed any difference in the noise. I've even taken both of my shotguns (my other one has a non-ported barrel) to the range for patterning to test the theory. I still noticed no difference, and neither did anyone else standing nearby.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I'm not sure my sound meter is suitable/can give meaningful results but when it's warmer and I'm not hobbling around I may give it a try. I think I can lay my hands on a couple similar guns ported and nonported.

When I pull up to the parking lot at the local Skeet range, I can tell immediately, before I open my car door, which guns are ported. It's a dramatic difference.

I'm trying to think of a Sporting Clays shooter I've seen with porting, at local ranges. Apart from the Brownings that aren't sold any other way in the US, I can't think of any.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There may be some benefit to porting, but not in reducing barrel jump. Ports will bleed off gas pressure before the shot/wad column goes through the choke, thereby ensuring the wad doesn't smack the shot in the a$$ and scatter it. I don't like porting, but the old Cutts Compensator was effective because of this phenomenon. I should think the most effective porting would be a circle of holes just before the choke in accordance with the above.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

looking for some barrel ports? i have a few i'd happily sell. good luck with it

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm 
Utility Grade

As a competitive shooter i have shot several types and styles of firearms. I see alot of negative feedback about ported barrels. If you are shooting nice and slow you will not notice what porting will do for you. Sure it louder and when you do a night shoot the flash can be annoying. But try running Critical defense or similar ammo that runs 16fps or high powered slugs. If you shoot them fast as you can rack the shot gun thats were you will see the most difference. Its like running a ported barrel on you 1911 or any other pistol. When you can pull the trigger as fast as you can and still stay on target with a ported barrel using factory (not special powder puff loads) or similar you see what a ported barrel brings to the table. You put those same rounds in a non ported barrel and your group will most likley be on the target. I have a Rem 870 with a ported barrel and wanted to see what the big deal about them was. So i used several loads through mine and a friends without the ports. 6 shots on an IDPA target with mine using, Federal 00 buck, Rem 00 buck, Fiocci slugs, Hornady critical defense and Noble. Not everything was the same on the two shotguns. Mine has a Speed feed pistol grip, My friends had a factory stock. Used another with a Knox stock. Each time with fast shooting my rounds all stayed on target. Using the non ported barrels they did not! My friend tried the same with the same results. I am no shot gun Guru but i would say that depending on what your purpose for the shot gun is will decide weather porting your barrel is worth the money to do so. If you just have it for home defense and dont plan on shooting it much at the range then porting is probably not for you! Since alot of flash comes out of those ports, at night this will temporarily blind you. But then there is always the cool looking factor! if you are more interested in making the shot gun look a little cooler but have no intentions of benefiting from the ports there is nothing wrong with that! As long as your gun functions when it needs to then thats what counts. PS the more powerful loads had the biggest difference in my gun. May not be the same for everyone else but ill keep my ports!