CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 390 semi automatic advise request
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I've only been shooting trap for just a couple of months. I purchased a Beretta A390 semi used. The gun is in great shape. However I'm wondering about the barrel as it doesn't have the functionality of adding chokes. The marking on the barrel are:

Trap
12 GA 2 3/4 and 3 in Shot Shells - 30 in F

So it appears to be defined as a "Trap" barrel but my concern it doesn't have the functionality of adding a choke. I see by reading on the forum that the barrel can be threaded and a choke can be added by a Carlsons http://www.choketube.com/instal.html for about $150. I also see that I can purchase a new barrel 30" with chokes for about $375. Or I guess I could leave it as is. It's my nature to have reasonable equipment but I also don't want to have the excuse for my lack of ability of break targets by blaming the equipment. I have patterned the shot a couple of times but need to do some more patterning as I wasn't impressed I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at. This really seems to be a good sport that I could enjoy for some time with some effort and expense. I certainly realize that I need more range time and have worked on getting the gun to fit me very well.

So what do you think does this gun need some chokes?

Post subject: Re: Beretta 390 semi automatic advise request
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RobBaker wrote:
I've only been shooting trap for just a couple of months. I purchased a Beretta A390 semi used. The gun is in great shape. However I'm wondering about the barrel as it doesn't have the functionality of adding chokes. The marking on the barrel are:

Trap
12 GA 2 3/4 and 3 in Shot Shells - 30 in F

So it appears to be defined as a "Trap" barrel but my concern it doesn't have the functionality of adding a choke. I see by reading on the forum that the barrel can be threaded and a choke can be added by a Carlsons http://www.choketube.com/instal.html for about $150. I also see that I can purchase a new barrel 30" with chokes for about $375. Or I guess I could leave it as is. It's my nature to have reasonable equipment but I also don't want to have the excuse for my lack of ability of break targets by blaming the equipment. I have patterned the shot a couple of times but need to do some more patterning as I wasn't impressed I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at. This really seems to be a good sport that I could enjoy for some time with some effort and expense. I certainly realize that I need more range time and have worked on getting the gun to fit me very well.

So what do you think does this gun need some chokes?

Not really..... full in fine. If the 390 was manufactured to be a trap gun. What would be your goal with adding a set of tubes? Guessing....For every target that you think could be chipped/scored with a more open choke, whats not to say another would be lost by not having enough choke. We are assuming a hypothetical with open chokes, but have more certainty with a tight choke.

This issue is one of the more debated among us. No one has any proof other than personal results and confidence. We would need to know exactly why each target loss occured to give any credibility to opinion. Compensating for poor form, point or follow by opening up the pattern is amateurish and results in enhanced poor shooting skills. Usually those that recommend it are in fact the same shooter that needs to learn how to shoot properly instead of trying to find some gimmick or perceived advantage.

A vote for a great gun the way it is.
Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 am 
Utility Grade

A point I would like to make relative to this request is that Beretta no longer offers a shotgun barrel without a choke system. Perhaps in the 90's Beretta offering some barrels without a choke was fine but they seemed to have changed their view on this subject.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am 
Crown Grade

RobBaker wrote:
A point I would like to make relative to this request is that Beretta no longer offers a shotgun barrel without a choke system. Perhaps in the 90's Beretta offering some barrels without a choke was fine but they seemed to have changed their view on this subject.

You are quite right, Rob. Few shotguns are manufactured today with a fixed choke barrel. The reasons are well known, and you seem to be aware of them.
Disregarding the debate over Full vs. Modified chokes from the 16 yard line, there is no advantage to having a barrel with a fixed choke. On the other hand, the advantages of having a barrel with interchangable chokes tubes are obvious and undeniable.

Carlson's is not the only choice in having your barrel machined for choke tubes; there are many. Try Briley's for a start. Welcome to the great sport of American Trap. You'll find many great people here, along with a few old grouches. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Though I can't disagree with code5coupe, I will say this; There is also no DISADVANTAGE to having a barrel with a fixed choke.

If you're going to use your 390 for singles and handicap, I recommend you leave it alone. Doubles may be a different story.

If you decide to have tubes put in it, I would have no hesitation sending it to Carlson's. I've had 3 barrels done by them, and they came out perfect. And your wait time is much shorter than sending it to Briley (though I would add Briley does excellent work too.) And as code5coupe said, there are others who do this work, and do a fine job.

Here's what I recommend. Take that money you would have spent on the choke tube installation, and spend it taking a clinic from Frank Hoppe, Big Leo, or Harlan Campbell. I guarantee you'll gain more targets out of doing this, than you will by changing your barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:24 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I'd leave it alone if I were you. I shoot a similar set up for Trap with a full choke on singles, doubles and caps. I've shot 100 straights and 285 straight like that and if a hack like me can do it, so can you.

Don't let it get in your head.

www.tronspace.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Tron,
I agree if I could shoot 100 straight I wouldn't touch anything :D
I'm a novice and just looking for the silver bullet.

The illusive fix to put me in your league.
I may offer my gun to a good shooter at the club. If he can kill 25 then there would be only problem, ME. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Leave it alone. I am no All American by any means but having tried MOD, IM and FULL chokes from the 16 yard line I have never seen any difference in my scores. I shoot a full from all yardages. I can almost guarantee that your scores wont change by going to a more open choke and you will move towards a full over time anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rob...I have been looking for that silver bullet for 40 years. Purchased, traded or sold so many guns that I have a hard time remembering them all. Tried every gimmick, style, form, starting point, trigger, and ammo there is. Been as low as D class and high as AAA. 20 yards to the back fence and just want to stay on the 27 without reduction notices.

Let me clearly state, there is no magic or silver bullet. The only advantage is creating good habits and putting a few ton of shot down the barrel. Finding what works best with every detail of your personal form, timing and trigger. Gun fit and setting the POI to where you need it to center trap targets. Recognizing errors for what they are sooner and correcting them the next shot out the barrel.

Anyone telling you to open the pattern up is still trying to learn the game. That would be like taking advise from a C class shooter. Maybe a better shooter than you, but far from someone that can truly offer insight.

Yes...I tried the open pattern theory. It made little difference in my game or averages. It just prolonged the mediocre, until I actually learned how and why targets are hit properly. The details are always seemingly irrelevant and hard to find. Not all advise will help your game even if from a world class clinician. You just try different things until you can settle every issue.

Good luck ..... its more fun if you can refuse frustration and just look for answers.

Maltz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is no reason to have a trap barrel with choke tubes. They're a pain; they loosen; and they get dirty. Choke tubes were invented so that gun manufacturers could make barrels cheaper. They have some use in a sporting clays gun, but a good patterning, fixed choke barrel should never be touched!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:26 pm 
Crown Grade

If you decide to add choke tubes to your gun,I would not hesitate to see Mike Orlen. He is a member on this forum and has some really fair prices along with many,many recommendations as to the quality of his work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:16 am 
Diamond Grade

I wouldn't even worry about the choke tube issue with that gun. I agree 100% with timb99 on his post. There is no DISADVANTAGE to a fixed choke either. How many choked tube barrels out there have never had the tubes removed (except for cleaning) and changed out. My BT-99 has had the imp.mod in it half way to forever and my citori trap has had an imp.mod and a lt.full in it forever. If your pattern is good with the shells you use and you're breaking targets why let a choke tube thing mess with your head