CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Static problems and grounding a MEC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

During last nights loading session I noticed a fairly inconsistent powder drop and some static charge (strangly in only remington hulls). What are some of the best ways to ground a MEC? Just an aligator clip on a piece of wire? Or plug it into the ground of a wall socket?

Post subject: Re: Static problems and grounding a MEC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I ground from one of the screw holes on the base to a water pipe. It's eliminated all static from my system. I'm leery of grounding to outlets. Even if it's perfectly safe, I'm still leery...

Post subject: Static problems and grounding a MEC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just use a gator clip then wire to a socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can also cut a strip of dryer sheet about 1" wide and let it hang down into the powder bottle. Long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle, but not to interefere with powder flow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 pm 

lablover1 wrote:
You can also cut a strip of dryer sheet about 1" wide and let it hang down into the powder bottle. Long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle, but not to interefere with powder flow.

Don't let the sheet get flimsy, a buddy of mine had a piece fall off his dryer sheet and wreak havoc on his metering until he found it :mrgreen:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:40 pm 
Limited Edition

+1 on being careful with the dryer sheet. I had some issues with using one at first, but I seem to have it perfected now. Be careful with wiring to the ground in an electrical outlet. In theory it is perfectly safe, but that theory requires a trust that all the wiring in the house is done properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

720Deere

If you house is not wired correctly you would have found it
before you grounded your loader to an outlet ground.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
720Deere

Steve

Steve, why do you say that?

http://www.androideveryday.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tangarm wrote:
Steve Y wrote:
720Deere

Steve

Steve, why do you say that?

Because as soon as you plugged any grounded applaince
"in" you would have found the problem.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 pm 
Limited Edition

drsfmd wrote:
I ground from one of the screw holes on the base to a water pipe. It's eliminated all static from my system. I'm leery of grounding to outlets. Even if it's perfectly safe, I'm still leery...

:lol: You mean I'm not the ONLY chicken in this group? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I plan on placing a metal "cookie sheet" with high sides between the reloader and the bench to catch any spillage. For the static I was going to cut a piece of wire and wrap it around one of the screws that holds the reloader down and then screw it into the ground of a near by socket. The sockets are GFE, would this be an issue. Also what gauge of wire is recommended? I have wiring/soldering experience and feel quite comfortable doing this. I plan on killing the power first before I do the wiring.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Water pipes for grounding are a great idea. You will notice that along with your regular electrical service, cable lines, telephone lines, even Satellite TV dishes are grounded to the water pipes.

Running a ground wire from an outlet, isn't. Probably against code in some areas as well and for good reason.

I am lucky I guess, even in the winter with low RH, I never have any problems with static electricity messing with the powder.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I use a dryer sheet and wipe everything down. Works well.

Another solution is a static mat. Just total grounding can be bad. This is why in electronics we have RC resistence to the ground to slow discharge. Walking on carpet and then touching a grounded object causes a shock. You don't want that for powder, espeically pure blackpowder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

Water pipes for grounding are a great idea. You will notice that along with your regular electrical service, cable lines, telephone lines, even Satellite TV dishes are grounded to the water pipes.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=247714#ixzz1D6w6KLCO

Dogchaser please be aware water pipes USE TO BE the ideal ground source. But with the increased use of plastic pipe it is no longer recommended. AS plastic is a non conductor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

On my current metallic reloading bench, I have bolts thru the wooden back board. I have a wire that goes from station to station and it gets connect to my bonded ground for the house. My house was owned by a guy who was cheap and stupid, I have found wire connected together with tape. Junction boxes left open, one circuit the ground was hot. So off and on over the last five years I have been undoing the prior owners crappy work. In short I rewired the whole house. This would not be so bad if this was a house built in 1905 or 1932, it was built in 1978.
If you think your ground is good or not, call you electric company and asked to come out to check the grounding.
When I bumped my house service up from 150 to 400 amps, I had the electric company check my ground rod as well as at my disconnect panel and everyhting was good.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Folks, I know you all think its a good idea. But trust me, I am an electrical engineer for over 20 years. Direct grounding with no resistence or capacitor is a bad, dangerous idea around static sensitive powder. Espeically blackpowder.

Unless you can guarantee to discharge your own body every time before working with your equipment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a simple hand discharge pad at three places in reloading room. I learned how and why during the time I was design telecmmunications physical plants.

If any one has worked with computers professionally, they will know about doing this style of grounding. Plus if you have cable TV, satellite service, antenna cabling, telephone, internet connection, computers in your reloading room make sure they are on the common house ground, this can be done with a ground block on each item.

I try to put a ground block on all things great and small around my home. At my service panel on the side of the house with the power meter is a 8 foot ground rod which meets state and federal code. Your house is suppose to have one common grounding point. Some place still have 4 foot ground rods. My Broad Band Internet service provider had to look up what type of grounding is to be done, I sent them reference materials. They were going to use an 18 inch alluminum rod, now they are on the household common ground. The company that I tried to use before, said that their equipment was internally gounded, which told me that they didn't know what they were doing and my computer would become the ground if lightening hit their antenna. I asked to talk to their engineer, they said he was busy, so I kept calling to talk to him, they didn't have one.

When I bought my place about 5 years ago, if you grabed the stove door handle and the handle on the frig you would get a shock, that took a little rewiring to fix.

Grounding needs to be correctly done and tested.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oldphoneman,

Yup, but......................................

At the same time if a guy isn't sharp enough to know that the water lines in his home are plastic and that you can't use them as a ground, he will never notice the static problem with his powder.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I use a seperate driven ground rod and use #12 wire. No special reason for the #12, it was just what I had on hand at the time. Practically any size wire will do, as all you are trying to accomplish is equalizing the potentials, not carry a load. I simply stripped 1" of insulation from the wire and wraped it around the mounting bolt on the base of the machine. I checked continuity from the wire to the machine with a volt - ohm meter to ensure that the connection was good. Works great. I also use the dryer sheet trick.

Good luck, Bruce

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Okay I work on radios for the AF, so I am no stranger to "combating" ESD. Most of our work benches are directly grounded however. I don't not have "close" access to my water pips or I would ground there. If I opened my breaker box would the ground stand out at me or is this a bad idea. Should I for get grounding my bench and just "dryer" sheet it.