CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best 410 pump shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

What is the best pump 410 shotgun on the market? Im looking for a gun that has a reputation for quality. I have never owned a 410 and my daughter is going to take hunter safety and will start hunting with me this year. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Best 410 pump shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Remington 870 would be my answer. I had a wonderful one I use to pheasant hunt with. Now I know you didn't ask, but in my opinion a .410 is a terrible gun for a child. It is an experts gun, your daughter will be so handicaped by the little gun that she will soon loose interest. A 20 gauge would be FAR better. Remington makes an 870 20 gauge youth gun and Mossberg also makes a short stock, short barrel 500 that's a wonderful youth gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah I thought about that also but wasn't sure if she could handle the recoil from a 20 gauge. Thought maybe she could handle the 410 a little better as she is a bit undersized anyway. She is determined to start hunting with dad so I figured she should have her own gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:17 pm 
Limited Edition

kst8fan wrote:
Yeah I thought about that also but wasn't sure if she could handle the recoil from a 20 gauge. Thought maybe she could handle the 410 a little better as she is a bit undersized anyway. She is determined to start hunting with dad so I figured she should have her own gun.

How about meeting in the middle and going with a 28 gauge? Hard to find ammo but a good little gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg 410 pump hands down

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey kst8fan

Welcome to the forum,

I was tempted by the Mossberg 500. Mossberg has some newer "smaller" frame versions, so maybe one of those will work.

For my daugher, I ended up borrowing a .410 single shot. and she enjoyed it. So, I tried to have her shoot a pump gun, but she wasn't interested. So, I bought the same .410 single shot and that is what she shoots.

I always thought that I would stay away from a .410 because the 1/2 oz. payload is NOT condusive for smashing targets and building confidence, BUT it gets my daughter out shooting with me. I set up an old MEC 600 jr. and reload because the price of shells almost mandates reloading.

Do you reload now? Folks will be chiming in about 28 gauges. They are great guns, but will also have you looking into reloading.

I hope this helps, keep her interested, good luck, and be safe!

Maggs

Here are a few threads on this similar topic. Maybe these will offer some other thoughts:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=214022

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=244234&hilit=pink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 pm 
Limited Edition

I would say Mossberg 500. I am looking at one of these now, new its only 269.99. you cant beat that for a fun little shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Remington 870

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 pm 
Field Grade

As far as design, quality, material, and construction, it would be the Browning BPS. But, you said your daughter is small frame and the BPS is an adult size, heavy shotgun,

I would give first consideration to the Mossberg 505(not the 500) youth 20 ga. Very well suited to small frame shooters and recoil she can handle with 7/8 oz loads. It has choke tubes and is very versatile. With that short LOP, you can dress her in shooting clothing that also helps protect the sholder.

Mossberg also has a 505 in 410 with a 20 inch barrel and 12 1/2 inch LOP. It is full choke only , but, it can be opened up by a compotent, reliable, gunsmith by simple paralleling.

If you do decide to go with a 410, just conside that the world ends at 25 yards. If you do, or can begin reloading for a 410, it completely changes the quality of patterns you will get, but, still ends at 25 yards.

I am a 410 only hunter and shooter, but, I handload every round I shoot and I tailor every round to the specific target.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A 28-gauge gun is perfect for young shooters; light recoil but big enough payload to break clay targets or take game.

Shells for the 28-ga are every bit as available as .410, and no more costly. Both are about $11 a box at Walmart and most gun shops. Certainly, reloading can cut that cost significantly. In that regard, loading 28-ga shells is easier than reloading the little .410.

Take a look at the Remington 1100 Sporting 28 for a nice auto. There are plenty of good, used 28-ga O/Us out there too. Don't overlook a great gauge for your daughter; 28-gauge.

Romans 8:1

Last edited by OldSkeeter on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 am 
Limited Edition

I'll second (or third) the Mossberg 505 in 20 gauge. It is very versatile and adjustable so she can grow with it and a 20 will handle just about any shotgun sport or hunting situation she will find. That said, if she is patient and enthusiastic nothing will make a kid learn to make good shots like a 410 single shot. My Dad gave me a Winchester model 37 single shot 410 for my 8th birthday. It was the only gun I had for several years and I learned to shoot very well with it. It killed many a dove and rabbit and squirrel and on more than one occasion I brought home lots more birds than my buddies with 12's and 20's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 am 
Limited Edition

As far as a quality 410 you can put a bunch of rounds through, keep forever, never grow out of it would be the BPS. Like stated by others I personally would go with a 28ga, the auto's can be on the heavy side for a small framed youth (unless you spend $1600 on the benelli legacy). I would still recommend a 28ga BPS for price/value/weight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Winchester Model 42.

:D

I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Ditto! The Winchester Model 42.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

First, I agree a .410 is the wrong gun for your daughter. Second, I also agree that the 28 gauge is the ticket for a small stature shooter. The absolute only way I could agree on the 20 gauge is if you have her shoot 3/4 oz loads at modest velocity. In each of these scenarious you're probably going to be into reloading if you want her to shoot alot. The thing that would tip things in the direction of the 20 gauge is that getting empties (without buying factory loaded shells first) is so much easier. You can often get gun Gun Clubs for the asking and they reload great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Winchester 42 is a wonderful .410 and it's sister the model 12 in gauges from 28 to 12 is an equally good gun. Browning remade both those guns a few years ago so there are some to be found. They are heavy however. So is the Browning BPS in 28 gauge. I tried to like a Browning 28 gauge BPS with a 26 inch barrel for 2 years before I gave up on the pretty gun. Notice I didn't say pretty LITTLE gun. The 28 gauge BPS weighed as much as my Browning B80 12 gauge auto loader. Granted the B80 is a light weight 12 gauge but still.... I'm 5'10", 220 and have size 12 feet, that's a lot to chase after a dog with even before you add the shotgun, and long before a day afield was over I began to hate that BPS. It found a new owner and I found a Remington 1100 28 gauge, and we have been a happy couple for several years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I do not know of anyone that makes a 28 pump in a youth model.
She will need a shotgun with a shorter LOP so it will fit her, a
shorter barrel so it will not be muzzle heavy to her, and that has
the pump forearm where she can reach, operate, and brace.

I think the Mossberg 505 20 ga should be very close to the top of
your considerations. It is a true youth gun, shorter LOP, shorter barrel, backset forearm. It also has interchangeable choke tubes, and a 3 inch chamber. It will handle everything from light 7/8 oz loads to full magnum 1 5/16 oz loads. The only real nitpick I have with it is that it is a pain to remove the mag tube plug if for whatever reason you want more than 3 shells.

That 20, or any 20 pump, IS going to have more recoil than a
youth 410. A shooting vest with a sholder pad, to fit her, a shooting jacket, with a sholder pad for cooler weather, and appropriate clothing will help greatly. Also, when you practice, something you should do a lot, be sure she has good hearing protection.

If she is small framed and light build, then a 410 is not out of the
question. I am a 410 fan and supporter, but, I also know the
many limitations of the 410. I also handload 3 inch 410 shells
which makes a great difference.

She will be able to shoot a 410 a lot more, will enjoy shooting
a 410 a lot more, and will be willing and enjoy practice with a
410 rather than shy away from it. This is needed because if she
is going to go after something alive, she will want a clean kill
rather than a crippling wound or the sound of something
suffering from a wound. The best way to prevent this is PRACTICE,
and, she must be an absolute expert of jusdging 25 yards no matter the terrain, and her intended target must be reasonably well centered inside a 25 inch circle at that 25 yard limit. If you don't think she can do that, watch her send a text message or play a video game. She can probably do better than you can, and in a reasonable time with a reasonable amount of practice. Just let her shoot often to keep her edge. 410 range comes to an end at 25 yards, 26 is way to far.

Knowing and accepting the limitations of the 410, over the past 50+ years, I have cleanly taken woodcock, quail, grouse( the 410 was my preferred grouse gun) dove, pigeon, crow, and a very few teal. I am not an advocate of the use of a shotgun, any shotgun, for rabbit and squirrel but I personally know many that do take rabbit and squirrel with the 410, within its limitations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's not a pump, and costs more, but this might be worth a look:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... s-firearms

I imagine the recoil would be pretty mild in 20 gauge. Browning also makes a micro BPS in 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 am 
Field Grade

Looks like the mossberg would be a better fit for my daughter. I will definately look into a 28 gauge. Now if I was gonna buy a 410 pump for my self, which one would you reccomend? Again I think I am down to either a wingmaster or a bps. I have never shot a browning but I have remmington.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

For smaller shooters and beginning shooters I often let them use my Franchi AL48 in 28 gauge. It is light at less that 5 1/2 pounds, cycles reliably, and has next to no recoil. It's currently available in a Deluxe model, but used field models show up from time to time. You can also get a 12 1/2" short youth stock for it.