CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a Skeet range cost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Alright, I just heard that we have the ability to get the land needed to add a Skeet range. Do any of you have even the slightest notion of what it will cost to put up a Skeet range?

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

Post subject: Re: Building a Skeet range cost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Rastoff wrote:
Alright, I just heard that we have the ability to get the land needed to add a Skeet range. Do any of you have even the slightest notion of what it will cost to put up a Skeet range?

Alot of that depends on how much earthwork needs to be done, type of construction of the houses, size of the houses etc. I would venture a guess of $30,000.

LM NSCA #551026
LM NRA, RMEF and NAHC
Charity http://www.huntofalifetime.org/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:33 pm 
Crown Grade

A fellow close to here built a private skeet range recently. I was told it was built for about $15. All the work was paid and no sweat equity by the owner. It is a very minimal set up. The houses are frame construction and there are no sidewalks connecting the pads, though the pads are concrete. I think I was told the traps are Pro Matic but I don't know that for certain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I graded mine myself with a loader. Got it to about 6 inches from completely level. Built my houses and used green metal with plywood fronts to stop shot in case of a direct hit. Houses are 8 ft by 8ft. Use treated wood where needed,good 2 by 4's for framing. Oak saw mill limber for the floors. Concrete pads. Bought a reconditioned set of winchesters. Wired it myself. Grassed it and planted boundary trees. 2500 bucks...... I would say now it would cost a little more due to price increases in metal and wiring.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think this is a little bit like saying "what does it cost to build a home" there is just too much variability. And Southern California always strikes me as a "3x expensive to do anything" place.

It would be very exciting if you could have a blog-style thread where you kept us up to date on what it takes you to build a skeet field at your club. Discussing issues, choices, costs, timelines, and of course the unexpected things.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I certainly will keep y'all updated. The first step has been accomplished; we have permission to use the land. The next step will be the hardest; getting it voted in.

The "old guard" has resisted this for some time. They were even opposed to just asking the land owner about extra space. The owner we lease from owns 89,000 acres. I never thought it would be a problem. Apparently, all we had to do was ask.

So, I want a ball park figure to take to the meeting. I know it's impossible to say how much exactly. I just thought somebody out there might have finished one in the last 10 years, and could tell me it cost $X,XXX to do. If I go to the meeting with, "I have no idea what it will cost" they will vote it down or simply not vote and call me an idiot. But, if I go in saying, "We can do it for $15K", I think they might go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Don't forget to use the range grants from BOTH the NRA and the NSSA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

Your safe at asking for $15K and should be able to pull it off at a little over $12,000.

Houses, concrete (with full walk way with pads), fences, and wiring in going to be about 5K and the machines are going to run you another 7K for a very nice field.

If you want to go cheap, you can do it for around $10K with just pads, simpler houses, and just pads alone (no walkways between the pads).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

Probably need a little more detail on what you're thinking. is the field going to be grass? dirt? gravel? sprinkled? volunteer labor? - or fully contracted? How much dirt work? fencing?

Full concrete is about 170 lf of walk around the arc + the pads at 2-6 and 8, another 126' or so of walk if you run a walk down the baseline. You'd be just under 40 cy of concrete for all the bells and whistles. Concrete is always only as good as whats under it - so prep and cushion are a big deal. Of course the walkway can be added later if your ground is suitable.

You want your high house to be fairly well built - Our last remaining original high house built in the 60's moved so much in the wind it was hard to figure out just where it was going to throw a target :-) You'll want decent concrete under that house as well.

Dano is probably right - but I wouldn't budget under 15K, I've always heard $30k is closer if it all has to be hired out.

John

One of Many

Last edited by John H on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was involved in the design and construction of a new field at our club wthin the last few years. The high house cost around $2500 with volunteer labor and paying for the foundation and floor to be poured. We built our low house on a trailer for mobility for two large trap shoots but given similar constructiion of the high house, it would have cost around $2000 with the foundation and floor. The remaining pads would use one cubic yard of concrete so find a local price for that. You will pay a premium for just one yard but if you want a poured walkway you will have to up that price.

A pair of Beomats will cost around $8500 plus shipping but the US distributor is i CA, so that will help. Then you have site grading, and electrical. I would bet you will be closer to $15k and probably on the high side of it.

You should consider the cost of lights also.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just so you have an idea, here's a pic of our club:
This view is looking North. The main access road is dirt, and runs East - West. The road going North - South is the access to the 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle targets. There is a fence just to the left of that; you can't make it out in the pic.

The potential new land is on the left. You can't see it in the pic, but there's a lot of it. The field will be dirt, and it's mostly level already. Of course there will be some leveling required, but it will be minimal.

I wold like to build the houses out of cinder block; that may add too much to the cost. One other expense that will add a bunch of cost is the fence. This expansion will require a bunch of new fence.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Would have to double check, but think that we just picked up two new Mattarelli skeet machines for under 7K from Briley.

As for setting up the skeet range, sun position during the day and even back ground will need to be huge decisions (read shooting towards that hill could be a monster in regards to bad backgrounds). Ideally as well, you want the sun to be at your back most of the time, and nothing skyward in the back ground if possible (at least for a long distance).

Best bet if you can do it, set the skeet range 400 yards back from the rifle/pistol range to the left for a fall-out field before the other ranges, and shot towards the main road on the right (looks to be the best for a good back ground to shot against).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the members at our club owned a pre-cast concrete manufacturing plant - that is located less than a mile from the club. So most of our skeet houses are precast concrete- paid for- but the club got a pretty good price I suspect.

The last house we built we used SIP. SIP are foam core panels with OSB faces. Not terribly expensive and fairly easy for volunteers with some knowledge to erect. Then we sided it with T-111. We will probably have to replace the t-111 occasionally.

Block would be really nice - especially if you have a mason around and can get some volunteers.

John

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dano523,
I don't think your idea will work for us. That would put the range facing East. That's a terrible orientation for morning shooting. I agree that the hill isn't the best background, but it's at least even. Also, there is another hill on the East side so, we'd still be looking at a brown background no matter what.

John,
I'm familiar with the Structural Insulated Panels(SIPs). I hadn't thought of them, but they are easy to work with. I will have to look into that.

While we're talking about it, you might consider replacing the T-111 with Hardi Board. It looks just like the T-111, but it's indestructible. It's kind of like concrete siding. I have it on my house and I'll never use T-111 again if I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Our club just bought 2 Lincoln traps for about $6,500. I am not sure but I think frame with metal siding would be the cheapest. lots of luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dano, are the matarellis the machines that are silent until just after the release? Then there is a small sound as they recock the machine. If so I really like them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Matarelli = under $7,000. for the two. http://www.mattarelliusa.com/skeet_trap_machine.html

You will want to check with Imperial Polk County Gun Club, Winterhaven Florida as they just set and then reset several machines and are aware of the information that is needed but not supplied in order to get the machines throwing properly. You need information not supplied in downloaded manual or on the internet. Get it before you begin installation.

Concrete will be the expense to watch for the course and the houses if you are building block houses. Because of truck and driver costs there's not much you can fudge.

Use as much volunteer labor as you can get for all the wood and form work.

Electric would be next. Hopefully you have a licensed friend or member.

You absolutely do not want your range facing East. South is nice. North is next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Do build your houses with a roll up door. Being able to set a pallet in there will be a wonderful thing for everyone's back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Provided they have a lift.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This expansion will require a bunch of new fence.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=247868#ixzz1DF4sJrIQ

Why, what are you trying to keep out?