CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice on CZ upland ultralight?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

hello all, I am looking at getting into ruffed grouse hunting and wish to purchase an over/under special purpuse for this only, I will be shooting some informal clay targets for wingshooting practice. I am attracted to this model as I want a light weight fast handling gun to get on target quickly! I have handled this gun in local brick and mortar store and must admit it fits me much better than a Browning Citori I owned many years ago. I am not recoil sensitive and will be shooting light loads, my primary concern is reliable and decent trigger pull? I do not want 12lb trigger? I hope to return to store and request to dry fire store display with snap caps. any feedback on this shotgun would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: advice on CZ upland ultralight?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have heard nothing but good things about them, here is a review on
onehttp://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view ... 7&t=240500
Hope this helps you out.

cdb

Last edited by cdb1097 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's a fixed link to Copper1's review.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey hunterdude!!! WELCOME TO HUGLU FORUM AND Shotgunworld!!! Image Image Image

The reports we have gotten here on the forum on this gun have all been very good. Though IIRC there have onlt been 2 reports.

With regard to the triggers, If you are accustomed to triggers in the 3.5-5 lbs range you "may" be disappointed. Heavy trigger pulls have been a tolerably common complaint on the Huglu guns....though not mentioned in the 2 reports we have had on this model.

Being honest though, I wouldn't let a couple of lbs of trigger pull turn you against the gun. CZ-USA would lighten them for you under warranty and if you didn't want to be without the gun for a few weeks a competent gunsmith could do the job quickly and inexpensively.

You also asked about reliability....In the last few years the Huglu guns have proved themselves to be quite reliable. None of them are meant as "High volume clays guns" (10,000+ rounds per year). They are designed to be field guns used for light to moderate clays use (7500 or fewer shells per year). And they do it very well. They also come with a 5 year warranty from CZ-USA--a company with a stellar reputation for customer service.

If you like how the gun feels, I wouldn't hesitate to get one for the purposes you describe.

Best....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, welcome! I like a man who has a good excuse to buy a new shotgun! :twisted:

MD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

It would be nice if you could find one that you can fire and see how it shoots. I have one of the ultra lights and love it. I have been using mine for trap and pheasants. I even used it last year for waterfowl and was very happy with the way the gun handled. If I had to do it again I would jump all over this gun. People are amazed how light this gun is and how well it shoots. If you were close to me I would let you shoot mine. I am in Minnesota.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I just handled a couple of these this last weekend and was very impressed, they handle very well, I especially liked the 28" model for general upland work but the 26" is lightning fast for grouse ect. They honestly seem like a great value and are super nicely made and a well thought out gun. I would consider one myself.
Strat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Many thanks to all who replyed! seems a very friendly forum :) ....so I went down to my local shop and as requested the salesman allowed me to dry fire the CZ upland ultralight...WOW! trigger was MUCH better than expected, I would not want it any lighter for grouse hunting! I almost walked out with it as upon closer inspection it had quite a nice piece of lumber on the butt stock as well. I want 26" tubes or would have purchased. I have a family member that can order so will hold out for the exact model desired. I also discovered a model called "Woodcock" steel frame that is very attractive to MY eyes, I will search this forum for a better photo. not sure if I wish to live with a 1.7lb weight penalty for "pretty" looks and steel frame long life...hmmm maybe buy 2? :) the woodcock seems to be discontinued so need to make up my mind before there gone....so many guns so little time.... sigh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Woodcock 20 ga. or 28 ga. in 26" barrels still for $790 at CDNN - page 43.

MD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You beat me to it MD!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hunterdude....If you decide to order the ultralight, I know a CZ Distributor who comes up with some AWESOME wood and still sells as cheap as almost any discounter. Let me know if you want to get in touch with him.

Best....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:42 pm 
Utility Grade

2Few...yes! I am very interested in finding a good source for CZ! I have put over 400 miles on my truck in the last 2 days driving all over Michigan looking at CZ over and under shotguns :D . I have seen some very plan "magonany" (looking) slightly reddish guns and a few really pretty ones..one little 28 ga woodcock O/U had wood that put many Browning grade VII to shame! :) My Brother has FFL but his CZ supplyer will not hand pick wood. Am I correct in thinking the Woodcock is discontiued for 2011? I LOVE the look of this gun, but pretty heavy in 12ga....I am thinking....one 12ga ultralight...and one 20ga woodcock before supply drys up. Thank you all for the great forum!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hunterdude....

PM coming your way with details.