CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870, 887, or Mossberg 835??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:36 am 
Field Grade

I am in the market for a new 12 gauge shotgun.
I currently own an 870 express magnum with laminate stock.
I'm looking for something synthetic and one that chambers a 3 1/2 inch shell.
Main purpose is using in wing shooting: Mostly dove, quail, pheasant, duck, and geese.
I was looking at either a Rem. Model 870 Super Magnum in Realtree Hardwoods camo, Rem. Model 887 Nitro Mag in black synthetic, or Mossberg Model 835 Ulti-mag in Realtree Max-4 camo.

I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with the Mossberg or the 887. I have had no problems with my 870 besides jamming with cheap ammo , but that was easily fixed by polishing the chamber.

My price limit is around $350, and my research tells me that these 3 guns are all around that price. I'm leaning towards the 887. It would be my choice hands-down if I could get the camo version for $350, but of course, it's $100 more.

What are your opinions on these and what do you think is the best choice??

Mossberg: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Defa ... +Waterfowl

887: http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... o-mag.aspx

870: http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... -camo.aspx

Post subject: Re: Remington 870, 887, or Mossberg 835??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 am 
Field Grade

Wrong Forum Section.....Sorry!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

I'm not sure what type of quail you want to hunt, but my experiences with these types of guns (heavy 12 Gauge pumps) on quail have been 100% negative. The fast, surprise flushes and short shot windows on Western quail mean that the birds are often up, away and gone before you overcome the inertia of a big, heavy gun and even get a chance to mount it.

People do use them on passing doves, though they're not ideally matched to doves. The guys who use them seem to be waterfowlers who want some pre-season practice on passing birds, and I think they get what they want out of it, along with some fun and some doves to eat. :)

The 887 has features that understandably appeal to a serious waterfowler. However, I think it handles terribly, with really odd balance. It's no 870, that's for sure. I really prefer the Benelli plastic-shelled pumps' handling characteristics. Early 887s were really crappy, but reports here seem to indicate that Remington took care of at least the blatant problems with parts not fitting together.

The 870 in 3.5" handles pretty much like any 870, which is to say, very well for an inexpensive pump gun. If I were going to shoot doves with any of these, it would be the 870, I think.

The Mossberg has an oversized bore and heavier weight, which make it ideal for 3" to 3.5" waterfowl loads. It's really designed for the near-10 Gauge 3.5" loads, so that you can use the same gun for ducks and geese with good results. The heavy weight cuts down on felt recoil and smooths out the swing for passing shots. However, it's about the last gun I'd want to use for quail.

Definitely get your hands on these guns before deciding. They are different.

My personal recommendation would be to get a gun for upland and one for waterfowl, and choose one or the other for pheasant hunting, depending on the exact conditions. If you want to keep up your pumping skills for waterfowling (mine suck because I seldom use pumps), you can get, say, a 20 Gauge 870 and use it for upland birds, and get a duck/goose gun that's really ideal for the purpose.

Looking for a single good gun for quail to geese is almost like trying to find a rifle for prairie dogs to moose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Crown Grade

You need to buy at least two completely different guns. But that is a GOOD thing!