CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible to Maintain Bare Metal Finish ???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:09 am 
Field Grade

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has tried to remove the bluing from a receiver (I am thinking of doing a Citori), polish the bare metal, and maintain it with a clear coat .. or just keeping it oiled ? Reason I ask is: I have an old gun I'd like to "spruce up" some ... but not dump much money into it. The wood is also in tough shape - but barrel bluing is nice. Thinking of fixing & painting the wood black, removing bluing on receiver, lever, and trigger guard .. and polishing those items to a shiny metal finish. What do you think ?
Thanks, Brian

Post subject: Re: Possible to Maintain Bare Metal Finish ???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:31 am 
Tournament Grade

You can, but I wouldn't exactly advise doing that. CLP Collectors' Grade is a long term oil/protectant taht works well. For general use, wiping down with a good deep penetrating oil (Marvel Mystery Oil, Kroil) does well with keeping rust away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:01 am 
Crown Grade

Rob72 wrote:
You can, but I wouldn't exactly advise doing that. CLP Collectors' Grade is a long term oil/protectant taht works well. For general use, wiping down with a good deep penetrating oil (Marvel Mystery Oil, Kroil) does well with keeping rust away.

Understand the bluing is a oxide layer on the steel that retains rust prevention lube better than raw steel alone (other than just being a pretty blue).

Can you do what you want, sure, and as long as you keep a coat of lube on the surface, should not have rusting problems. The downfall, even the sweat from your hands (salts) can get be forced through such lube, and cause rusting.

So the steel left in a raw state is best not advised, and even a clear coat over the steel would be better (will still be able to wear it off, exsposing the bare metal). If bare if what you want, then I would look into having the receiver Melonite threated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:29 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has tried to remove the bluing from a receiver (I am thinking of doing a Citori), polish the bare metal, and maintain it with a clear coat .. or just keeping it oiled ? Reason I ask is: I have an old gun I'd like to "spruce up" some ... but not dump much money into it. The wood is also in tough shape - but barrel bluing is nice. Thinking of fixing

It can be done.

But just what is a lot of money?

for just the action and action parts

Under $100, can have it reblue or even nickel plated.

That at least to me doesn't sound like a lot of money!

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 am 
Diamond Grade

All of my guns have polished receivers, all have BrekFree rubbed into the bare metal, all have been used in heavy rain, repeatedly and none have rusted.

Sometime in the past I posted pics of my Citori, made in 1975, polished bare in 1985, photographed in 2005. You can see the condition in the photo here viewtopic.php?f=53&t=128588&hilit=Naked+lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:54 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the advice and info guys. I think I will follow the lead of Shotgunguru .. and try and maintain a bare metal finish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm 
Field Grade

You can actually coat them with clear polyurethane, I have done it on a couple of SxS guns that have polished receivers.

This is the before picture

This is after buffing and clear coat

The last one I did has lasted over 10 years without finish loss or rusting.

Mike

Last edited by vatrap on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

What about polishing all the way with 1500 grit. Then send the part say a shotgun receiver to be clear powder coated? Powder coating is pretty durable. Just wonder how the solvents and oils would act on the clear powder coat.

slomo