CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto 5 and Franchi AL48 differences
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:31 pm 
Field Grade

I know both of these work on the long recoil style action, one of if not the most reliable designs ever created (thanks John M. Browning).

What are the main operating differences in these two guns?

Why did the long recoil action fall by the wayside?

Post subject: Re: Auto 5 and Franchi AL48 differences
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:41 pm 
Field Grade

:) You are correct about the long recoil being so very reliable. I currently have two A5'S, ONE IS A Sweet Sixteen and one Mag 20, both Japan guns. I love them both and this says alot since I grew up with Remington. I don't know alot about the Al48 but I do know they have an aluminum receiver. The long recoil principle fell out of favor due largely to two reasons. First was probably the cheaper cost to build the newer gas guns with the aluminum reciever instead of the steel A5. Second, was the fact that the new gas guns can shoot a variety of shells without having to make any adjustments like changing the friction ring settings on the A5 for light or heavy shells.Still the A5 will never be out done. I hope this helps. stacyaeromed@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:05 pm 
Limited Edition

To start off, alot of AL-48's have aluminum receivers which makes them pretty light for autos (about 6 1/3lbs) The internal workings are exactly the same ,friction rings and everything. The Franchi also has a less drastic receiver hump more like the new Browning Gold Classic. I've shot both alot and I like the AL-48 better mainly because it is so light.

Honolulu, its got everything. Sand for the children,sun for the wife,sharks for the wife's mother.
Ken Dodd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:04 am 
Field Grade

I owned a AL48 long recoil between 1964 and the gun buyback here in Australia,about 6years agp, the only problem I had with it was the trigger mechanism frame which was aluminiun and the hammer sear wore a groove in the rails it run on ultimately causing auto discharging when the bolt flew forward. There was a recall on them where Franchi replaced the full trigger mechanism, I noted the replacement had the sear running on 2 rails instead of 1, no further problems, also owned an A5 1959 vintage preferred the A5 over the Franchi unless I had to carry it any great distance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:27 pm 

Both Bird Buster and Kildux summed it up nicely between the two of them. The Browning A-5 being smoother swinging and having quality second to none. The Franchi AL48 being fast, agile, and reliable.