CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help- Lots of recoil pad questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought a new Maverick 88 for HD and a second barrel for hunting and trap shooting. As far as I know the gun shares many of the same parts with the Mossberg 500 including the stock and recoil pad. The pad that came with the gun is hard as a rock and I want to replace it before shooting the gun. I'm considering the Limbsaver #10201 and the Pachmayr Decelerator #01738. These are advertised as pre-fit for the Mossberg 500, as far as i know they'll also work on the Maverick 88, right? Are these the right models for my gun? I have no gunsmithing skills or any decent tools here at home, so I need a pad that is truly as easy as unscrewing the old one and screwing the new one on. Of the models I mentioned are either of them going to be that easy to install? Would I be better off with a slip-on pad? I was looking at the Decelerator slip-on pads on the Pachmayr website and I can't decide if the medium or large pad would work best on my gun, which do you think? Anyone here use the Pachmayr slip-on Decelerator pad? Is it as good as the pre-fit model? Does it slide around when you're shooting or stay put? I can't afford to buy more than one pad so I need to get it right the first time. I hope you guys can help me? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help- Lots of recoil pad questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I looked at both of the pads you mentioned and I think either one will work. However the limbsaver model specifically mentions the maverick 88. Check it out here http://limbsaverproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18
I dont have any experience with slip on recoil pads but i'd imagine the screw in models are more secure. Replacing the pads are very simple. just take out the two screws in the factory pad and screw in the new one.
Good luck. Hope this helps

Vic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:38 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the help Vic88. I ordered the Limbsaver #10201 from Walmart. It should arrive in a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

I picked up my Limbsaver pad from Walmart yesterday and installed it on my Maverick 88. It was as easy as unscrewing the old pad and screwing on the new one. The fit is perfect, almost like a custom job and much softer feeling than the brick that came with the gun. I'm really looking forward to trying it out at the range soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought one for my Maverick 88 shotgun and it fits like a glove on the synthetic stock. Much nicer that the stock recoil pad. The stock pad was OK firing low recoil OO buckshot but for firing LE OO buckshot it bruised my shoulder a bit.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had a chance to take my shotgun the gun range today and the limbsaver made a huge difference. I had actually bruised my shoulder a bit with the stock recoil pad on my Maverick. With the limbsaver recoil pad installed I fired 25 LE 12 pellet OO rounds today and it really made a difference. My shoulder wasn't bruised or anything.