CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fausti Stefano Arms ?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:51 pm 
Field Grade

So I will be going to my local NWTF and the will be auctioning off a Fausti Stefano Arms O/U 12 ga. any reveiws? Worth getting? Whats a good price?

The gun is this one.

http://www.nwtf.org/special_events/CoreItems.php?ID=129

Post subject: Re: Fausti Stefano Arms ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fausti makes some higher end guns. They also make some lower end guns. I can't tell what model that gun is. Several years ago Walmart carried them, but more recently Cabelas has carried them. There is a connection between Fausti and Rizzini. One of the Fausti sisters is married to a Rizzini. I have had one Fausti. It was a lower end gun imported by Traditions. It had very plain wood with mediocre fit. The trigger pull was absolutely awful. It was heavy and when you pulled the trigger, the hammers did not always release at the same postion. The higher end guns will probably be better, but I will never know because I have no plans to ever own another one. I traded mine in on a Browning Citori and had no regrets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

Their new SxS guns (the Dea line, sold under their own name, not through a bottom-feeding importer like Traditions) are absolutely gorgeous and remarkable in the hands. The O/Us are nice, also, but to get my bid, they'd have to offer one of the Dea models. :)

Quote:
I traded mine in on a Browning Citori and had no regrets.

That's pretty damning. :lol:

But seriously, the guns sold by their own subsidiary Fausti USA, under their own name, are nice pieces. Contracting with Traditions was probably something the company did because they needed working capital immediately, and Traditions offered it. But Traditions wanted to offer something cheap and was unwilling to pay for quality. Fausti is capable of doing some very nice work, and the Fausti USA stuff I've seen is really nice.

Can you actually handle the gun before bidding?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fausti and E. (Emilio) Rizzini are now all part of Fausti, by marriage and merger. I think the youngest Fausti daughter (Barbara?) married Emilio Rizzini's son.

Fausti stumps me a bit. The Traditions guns, IMO, were not a great idea on their part. They also had some problems with their guns they produced exclusively for Cabela's, and those were not inexpensive guns. I also was not impressed with the Wally World O/Us. Don't think that deal lasted terribly long.

Personally, I hope they've got their production or QC problems, or whatever, resolved. They can build a stunning, highly dependable shotgun. They've also built some that looked great, worked not so good. Almost makes you weep for the wasted walnut.

Their O/Us are generally of the same "Brescia" or "Brescia Guild" style as B. Rizzini or FAIR (I. Rizzini). Executed properly, it's a lovely design, IMO, although I cannot speak from the vantage point of a high-volume shooter. I think the best examples are field guns such as the B.Riz, particularly in 20 gauge, and the FAIRs, 16 on down. I am partial to the design and opine the Italian shops -- when inclined -- seem particularly good at sculpting a subgauge. I have a B.Riz and two FAIRs.

I wish Fausti well, because competition is good for the consumer, but I'm still a little leery of them after the Traditions, Wal-Mart and Cabela's guns. I think they're going to have to put some good, reliable guns out their at competitive pricing for years to square away their rep and hit the market share they want in the U.S. I've heard they're aware of this image and going with some exceptional customer service in an effort to restore some luster to their name. Hope it's true and hope they can keep it rolling.

Last edited by MGF on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Right up front I"ll say that I currently own three Fausti firearms, my first one that I purchased from Cabela's is the Albion model O/U in 28 gauge and I got very lucky with the opportunity to select one with terrific wood out 19 guns and it is as nice as any gun I own in the wood department overall fit and finish is very good but it had some minor mechanical issues (burrs) that needed addressed and neither Fausti or Cabela's had any thing in place to address such issues which they now have taken care of with the Fausti USA operation but I waited 8 months to get my little minor issues repaired so I wasn't very happy but after it finally got into the hands of a Gunsmith it was repaired in one day and I have had flawless performance from it ever since, it's an excellent gun. My other two Fausti's are both DEA RB SxS's, one in 20 gauge and one in 16 gauge and they are high end guns of excellent quality and beauty, I'm very pleased with them and will most likely never part with them. In regards to the auction gun in question, I would go to the Fausti USA web site and get familiar with there current models and maybe check out what Cabela's carried to get a feel for it's value. I know when I was considering the purchase of my DEA RB guns I called Fausti USA and got the low down on the Cabela's line up and thet informed me that the DEA RB guns were in fact their top of the line guns at about 50% off and would be an excellent value, they also told me that the O/U models with the upper cross bolt style lock up were maybe not so good reading in between the lines but the guns with the under lug type lock up were very much the same as Fausti higher end guns.
You guys have explained the situation quite nicely so I will just agree with what you've said and add in most cases you get what you pay for and in price point guns especially, there are very few exceptions. The Spanish makers as well as Huglu come to mind. It took the Spanish gun makers decades to undo the damage that they did to their rep here in the
USA but in the case of the Spanish much like Fausti they made incredibly fine guns but only the price point junk made it to the huge USA consumer group, kinda like putting their Worst foot forward, now of course most of the Spanish makers are recognized for their amazing firearms, some like Zabala are still making price point guns for import but this time around they are pretty darn good guns, lesson learned I guess.
Huglu is working thru the same struggle as we speak and now turning out some excellent price point guns but the poor quality junk that they started out with here in the USA looms over them and all other Turkish firearms like a black cloud.
I've read more than once that the Queen of England actually owns and cherishes a custom built Fausti and I recently say one made decades ago and it was of very high quality.
Strat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/EverythingAboutFausti.htm should explain where they have been and where they are going, at least a bit.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="RandyWakeman"][url]http://randywakeman.com/EverythingAboutFausti.htm[/url] should explain where they have been and where they are going, at least a bit.[/quote]
[b][/b]
Thank's Randy!! Good article!!
I sure like my Fausti's.
Strat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
the DEA RB guns were in fact their top of the line guns at about 50% off and would be an excellent value

The local Cabela's has one in 20 for $2900. I'm way short of that in my gun fund, and shouldn't be spending ANY of my savings right now for other reasons, but I could sure see buying the thing if I were in a position to... Absolutely beautiful to look at and to hold. They have a 28 Gauge sideplate for the same price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fausti-D ... Ntt=dea+rb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:35 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="BarryD"][quote]the DEA RB guns were in fact their top of the line guns at about 50% off and would be an excellent value
[/quote]

The local Cabela's has one in 20 for $2900. I'm way short of that in my gun fund, and shouldn't be spending ANY of my savings right now for other reasons, but I could sure see buying the thing if I were in a position to... Absolutely beautiful to look at and to hold. They have a 28 Gauge sideplate for the same price.

[img]http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/1227333_fstirb_boi05l?rgn=0,0,1200,742&scl=3.1578947368421053&fmt=jpeg&id=3Pr06Q7V-oHYyZyOuKEkfn[/img]

[img]http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/1227363_fsti28_boi02l?rgn=0,0,1200,742&scl=3.1578947368421053&fmt=jpeg&id=0x_HifH0RCKyzkPpwzr0kp[/img][/quote]

They have a lawaway plan for 90 days and they won't tell you this but if you go in at the end of 90 days and talk to them they will renew the plan, they want the sale and will work with you, some things in life are worth stretching for. Oh yeah, the RB guns have an ejector selection switch in the fore arm like Berettas.
Strat

Last edited by stratoliner on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
some things in life are worth stretcting for

Agreed. There's good stuff on the burner currently that is even more important to me than another shotgun, that's all. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 pm 
Field Grade

They say a "price" for it of 1350.... I dont know if that helps as far as quality of the gun?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 am 
Field Grade

The current offerings on their website appear to be quite nicely finished, and priced accordingly.

But irrespective of the quality of their guns, they have the most attractive management team in the industry, hands down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From Randy's article: "What Fausti USA is doing is taking direct control of their own brand for the first time in the United States. It means that Fausti USA product have features and standards of build quality that they choose, no one else."

Great call on the ladies' part, IMO. They can obviously build a hunter's dream at a competitive price, so I say go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

If it has the cross bolt, its going to be similar to the traditions fausti...Ive got one and I would not pay anywhere near 1300, maybe 600 at best. The Volos and D.U. guns at cabelas are going to be the same gun as the NWTF gun if it has the cross bolt and they are just a bit better than my Traditons. They are not as good as $1300 Berettas, Brownings, Rizinni Sigs, Fabarms, SKBs,or even the Fausti Albion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:59 pm 
Field Grade

When you say cross bolt... what do you mean? Explain... And what to look for

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 pm 
Crown Grade

The term "cross bolt" applied to a Fausti O/U refers to the breech locking system which consists of dual Purdey extensions located alongside the top barrel. The extensions nest into slots milled into the standing breech and are secured by a sliding transverse bolt. This type of locking system is also employed on the Beretta DT-10 and S0 series guns as well as on a number of lesser quality guns. Higher grade Fausti O/U's employ a bite in a split underlug which is engaged by a sliding underbolt. The former design permits a slightly lower frame profile than the latter.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

Note that the Berettas, SKBs, Merkels, etc. that use a crossbolt have more steel on the barrel side of the lockup than the Fausti design.

While there are differing opinions about what lockups are better than others, experience shows that crossbolts can be done well and last a rather long time. The Fausti crossbolt lockups just have less "meat" to them than their counterparts.

This is the SKB crossbolt lockup:

This is the Fausti crossbolt lockup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm 
Field Grade

Ok I am new to the whole OU thing and also this cross bolt thing.... Can you put an arrow on it? To point out I just need to be sure when I look at it. I dont want to buy junk. I might be able to take a picture of it tomorrow. And then auction is Saturday night....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't think that the Fausti crossbolt is junk; it will likely last forever as a field gun. It just isn't as robust as, say, the Beretta design which is found in higher-end target guns.

See the little tabs protruding from the sides of the upper chamber of the Fausti? Those engage the sliding bolt that you see sticking out of the side of the Fausti receiver when the gun is closed and the lever pops left. This is how the barrels are held shut.

The SKB above has larger, rectangular claw-like protrusions that engage both sides of a similar bolt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are a lot excellent field guns that I've seen pure target shooters poo-poo. Experience can be a mile wide and an inch deep.

There's also some machismo ... man up and take the recoil! What you can't walk all day with a 7.5 pound gun?

Well, "able to" and "want to" ain't the same things.

Everything you read is just everything you read. Better: Experience and hands-on inspection. Good to read up before big buys, IMO, but sooner or later, it's trigger time and miles that will shape your decisions.

This was just me being "deep." Hey, it was free! :)