CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel Shotgun 147 EL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've always admired the merkel sxs shotgun and now I'm older and I'd like to have one, but I don't want to pay more than I should. I've been looking for a sxs for vintage shooting as well as some upland bird hunting a few times a year. This past weekend I handled a couple of very nice Merkel 147 EL 12 ga. shotguns in a shop in Connecticut. The gun I liked was a straight stock, double trigger, 12 gauge, nice wood stock (fancy), 28" barrels and overall very nice condition. Owner says it's 6-7 years old. The asking price is $3,800. Is that a good price for that model and condition? I'm a novice when it comes to Merkel so any advice is welcome. Thanks very much.

John

Post subject: Re: Merkel Shotgun 147 EL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:56 am 
Utility Grade

The Merkels are IMHO the best SXS on the market at that price point. I just bought a 20gauge 147E for 3500.00 that was ANIB. If you shop carefully you can find them new for $4000.00. Cabelas in Scarborough Maine has a very nice one that is new for $3999.00. The listing says it is choked full and full but I have been told that it is IC and MOD. It has a single trigger. I think they also have a used Merkel 47E in 12 Gauge in stock for much less.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
The Merkels are IMHO the best SXS on the market at that price point.

I disagree....the same gun as a Simson for 1/2 the price is a much better deal. If you buy the Merkel for $3500, its worth $2800 tops next year as a resale. Buy the Simson at $1500-1700, you get near what you paid for it next year...and from 3 feet away, no one will know the difference. Buy 2 Simsons and keep the change. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

The Simson is a Merkel from what I have read. I am not sure we disagree other than the cost of the firearms. Also, I do not think they are made anymore so finding one ANIB with a warranty is probably not realistic. The form is more important than the brand name or the price.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 am 
Limited Edition

Sounds like you simply want the Merkel.....if you want to explore as new Simsons, without the warranty, but from someone who will stand behind what he sells, get in touch with Dale Nygaard in MN. You're paying an enormous amount of money for a warranty.

Which of these guns are Simsons and which Merkels?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Not being familiar with the 147EL market I can't comment on the price issue, but I do have a Merkel 1620 SxS and really like it. Only complaint is the difficulty in removing and replacing the fore end due to very tight manufacturing clearances. Once you learn to break the action slightly during either operation it goes on & off easily, however.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

Not to encourage thread drift, but the 1620 is perhaps the nicest gun I've used. The handling and feel are remarkable.

I also own a 47E 20 ga that is also a very nice gun.

Dale Nygaard is a very good guy to work with. I bought a double rifle from him and he is top-drawer.

As an aside, why do people fixate of "resale" fantasies? Buy the gun you want and enjoy it. If it's a Merkel most likely your descendants will use it for the next 3 generations. And just suppose you do pay 3500 for a Merkel and then in a few years sell it for 2800? Just WTF is the big deal? If you're sailing that close to the wind don't buy a gun. Buy food.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
As an aside, why do people fixate of "resale" fantasies? Buy the gun you want and enjoy it. If it's a Merkel most likely your descendants will use it for the next 3 generations. And just suppose you do pay 3500 for a Merkel and then in a few years sell it for 2800? Just WTF is the big deal? If you're sailing that close to the wind don't buy a gun. Buy food.

I think I "fixated" first on the fact that the two guns are the same...not similar, but the exact same barrels, action, screws, wood, etc and made on the same production line by the same hands and proofed in the same proof house. To me, anyone that is buying a gun for its working value would have to pick the "same" gun for WAY less money. Counting from the top, numbers 2,3 and 5 are Simsons and all three together cost the same as the sidelock Merkel at the top. At some point, folks are going to finally understand that Simsons, German guild makers (Kerner, Bürgsmüller, and others) made super guns that can be bought for a fraction of the cost of a Merkel, whose quality (especially the engraving) has been declining (IMO).

As far as resale value, I think the last two years have taught us what guns are actually worth and that you may have to sell them...if it hasn't taught folks anything, then they are independently wealthy or they weren't listening :wink: Cabelas was selling 1620E's for $3300 not long ago....go ask now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

Pumpster wrote:
Not to encourage thread drift, but the 1620 is perhaps the nicest gun I've used. The handling and feel are remarkable.

I also own a 47E 20 ga that is also a very nice gun.

Dale Nygaard is a very good guy to work with. I bought a double rifle from him and he is top-drawer.

Nicely said. Top to bottom.
Agree with all of it.

Roger.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Jallard,

You don't say which shop in CT you were looking at. If it was Eurochasse in Greenwich, please do not go back. Hanni is as mad as a hatter and should be avoided at all costs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

RPRNY
+1 on what you said. Dealt with him twice. First time - Last time !!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:12 pm 
Utility Grade

i'd be interested in finding a simson suhl sxs in 20 ga but if any are available its a hard find i think