CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ? single trigger vs double triggers with o/u.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 pm 
Field Grade

i am looking to purchase a used over and under 12 gauge shotgun at or near $500.00, i shoot left handed, i will use it for field bird hunting. i see there are single and double triggers to choose from what is the difference and/or advantage to consider?

Post subject: Re: ? single trigger vs double triggers with o/u.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think it's more a personal preference than anything. I grew up shooting double trigger sxs and hated them. As soon as I could afford it, I switched to an o/u with single-selective triggers and have been a happy shooter ever sense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:19 pm 
Crown Grade

I like DT for field use as I can move my finger instinctively to whatever trigger I need faster and easier than switching the barrels. A friend has a Belgian Browning with a swan neck and DT - it's his pheasant gun - very sweet

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

IMO it depends on the kinds of birds you'd be hunting. Most of the time you'll want to fire the more open choke first and then if you miss the second shot will be through a tighter choke since the bird will be farther away. In that case the type of trigger doesn't really matter much.

But sometimes you might want to fire the tighter choke first. One example might be waterfowl or dove hunting where the birds could be flying toward you. Another might be a bird that flushes farther out than usual. That's where 2 triggers gives you instant choice and has an advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Double triggers are fine if you're not wearing cold-weather gloves. Otherwise, not so great.

Selectors aren't that hard to switch for doves and waterfowl, where the birds are approaching for a while in open sky. OTOH it really makes less of a difference than a lot of people think.

AFAIK a lot of serious high pheasant shooters in the UK use the same choke constriction in both barrels, and don't worry about it. They also use more open chokes than you'd think, for the distances, which seems to indicate that shooting IC at 40 yards really isn't as futile as people think it is, with the right loads, especially if you have a tighter barrel for a followup shot.

Corollary: if a bird flushes far away, and you shoot the tighter barrel first, you had best drop the bird right there, because you are probably shooting a de facto single shot at that point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a DT for hunting quite a bit. I hunt where pheasant and quail are in the same areas and like to have a load of 7.5s in one barrel and a load of 6s in the other. However, I'm right handed and most DT guns will have the triggers set up with a slight angle for right handed shooters. You may not notice it.

As a corollary to Barry, I taken the long shot with tight choked barrel (missed) and then had a bird get up close--so I still need have more than one shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
AFAIK a lot of serious high pheasant shooters in the UK use the same choke constriction in both barrels, and don't worry about it. They also use more open chokes than you'd think, for the distances, which seems to indicate that shooting IC at 40 yards really isn't as futile as people think it is, with the right loads, especially if you have a tighter barrel for a followup shot.

An article in Shooting Sportsman a few issues back seems to dispute that - they were interviewing David McKay Brown, and his personal high pheasant guns were full and fuller - the birds he shoots at were averaging 65 yards up.

For closer birds, I would think an IC-IM would work well

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Full with his own paper hull, fiber-wad, soft-shot shells. Modified patterns, to those of us who use conventional modern ammo. :) The article says the constrictions are between .030" and .040", or between Light Full and Extra Full -- but the constrictions aren't .030" AND .040". Rather, they're the same, and somewhere in that range, which is generally what we call Full choke -- but of course shoots a more open pattern than we're used to calling Full, when you feed it fiber wads and soft shot. That's for pheasant at 60 yards.

See Sept/Oct 2010, p. 136.

"Brown also believes that having different chokes in each barrel of a driven game gun is an old-fashioned concept. 'Most birds are killed in a very narrow window of opportunity,' he said, 'and it is silly to have different chokes. Keeping things simple allows the mind to focus on the job at hand.'"

Food for thought. Brown is possibly the only inveterate high driven pheasant shooter who also designs and builds his own guns and ammunition for the purpose, so his opinions are uniquely interesting. I don't shoot driven pheasants, but while waiting for doves to come off a utility wire next to a cornfield may lack snob appeal, the shooting dynamics are quite similar. :)

Quote:
I hunt where pheasant and quail are in the same areas and like to have a load of 7.5s in one barrel and a load of 6s in the other.

I've done that with a guns loaded with #5 pheasant loads. Never had a problem with the quail either not going down, nor being blown up, when I hit them. The only problem I have had is that California Quail is generally too fast for my pheasant guns to work as well as what I use when I'm quail hunting on purpose. When I am quail hunting (generally with a lighter subgauge double gun with shorter barrels) I sometimes use #6 anyway. There's nothing wrong with #6 on quail, either. It works better on the tougher species.

We make this stuff too complicated. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most O/U's are single triggers. I have seen very few Bownings with double triggers and a few Sauer/Birettas. These are usually older guns without tubes and are usually full and mod. I have seen a few Spanish O/U's with double triggers, but again they are older models. I have never seen Weatherby/SKB with doulble triggers.

Cole's will custom make a double trigger, but then again, these aren't in the $500 price range you said you were looking.

Some of the the very low end new guns have them and I guess I would stay away from these especially if left handed. If you do go with a double trigger make sure the front one is articulated so you don't get finger pinch with it. As someone else stated, I think the front trigger will be on the left side of the gun and this would cause issues shooting left handed with finger pinch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I believe CZ makes a double trigger. I don't know about the left hand version though. I've used a double trigger and it was good. A gunsmith that I know very well prefers the double trigger. He says that if one breaks, you stills have a single shot to use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Single trigger, why make shooting more complicated?

They are dependable. You don't have to move your hand around on the stock to operate them and the supposed advantage of selecting a choke is laughable. Think about it, you select the barrel with the tighter choke when the birds get up farther ahead of you. What do you do when 2 birds get up or you miss with the first barrel, now you really are at a disadvantage.

As the human race has designed firearms, the innovations for the most part are a step forward, double triggers are a step backwards.

Just my 2 cents.

A guy once told me....
It ain't that you're wrong kid, it's your delivery that needs some work!!
I'm workin' on it, but don't expect miracles....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:52 pm 
Field Grade

You'd be hard pressed to even find an over/under with double triggers, so this whole discussion is rather academic. Personally I prefer double triggers on a SxS, but I do like a single trigger on an O/U.