CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harrington & Richardson
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, i have an old lever action shotgun that was passed down 2 generations. I dont know much about it. I know it is a Harrington & Richardson. It says Feb 20 & 27 1900, Pat May 14 1901. Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worchester Mass, USA. Pat Feb 20 &27 1900. The serial # is 585xx. It does not say a guage or anything on this rifle. This is all that is said on it. The serial number is behind the trigger guard, like under the stock. The res of the writing is on the left side of the gun. The barrel is not stamped with anything.
Thanks Chris
I tried to upload images but had no luck.

Post subject: Re: Harrington & Richardson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:42 am 
Crown Grade

Cris. You do not have a lever action shotgun. Harrington & Richardson never made a lever action shotgun. A lever action gun will have a lever under the gun to open the action, eject the fired shell and cock the hammer. What you have is a break open single shot shotgun. What you are calling a lever is the break open lever. According to the patent dates you give, you have a Model 1905 Harrington & Richardson single shot single barrel shotgun. And according to the serial number you posted, the gun was made in 1909. These guns currently sell for $50 to $100 depending on condition. I can't recommend that you attempt to shoot the gun because it was made using the technology and metallurgy of the times when it was made and for the ammunition in use then, also you made no mention of the guns condition.

Post subject: Re: Harrington & Richardson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Tha yUnk you, sorry about the misuse of words. The condition is very good. it has some light surface rust on thee outside of the barrel. But would probobly rub right off. the crown is perfect on it. the rifling I believe its called its clean and visible inside the barrel. The wood is nice on it not many scratches and still shines. The release for the barrel moves easily and has no rust. It is very clean and has sat in safes for atleast 30yrs.
I won't shoot this but want to clean it up a little as a show piece.