CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballpark price on Used 12 gauge pump Springfield 67f
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm about to go in for a new shotgun(Not sure what), which would mean that i own 7 shotguns. I don't see any problem with this but I'm sure Sara's gonna hit the roof :P Plus my safe is overfilled as it is. I'm looking to sell my least favorite 12 guage pump. It has a fixed barrel with a fixed full choke. 28 in barrel, holds up to 3 inch shells, and holds six 2 and 3/4 shells. Any idea how much I can expect to get out of it? I was thinking 140-150 bucks. I've seen similar guns go for 150-190 locally. I can afford to take my time selling it.

Stupid question. What legally do I need to do when selling this gun? Bill of sale enough? Honestly in the past we just gave or recieved cash and handed over or recieved the gun. Registration isnt mandatory here for this kind of gun. I would like to put up a few fliers locally and dont want to get myself into any trouble.

Would it be worth it to refinish it?

Condition: Some mild rust on barrel's end. I could buff this out cautously if neccessary but it will take some blueing with it. Finish is practically worn off. But over all the gun still looks pretty good. It has to be at least 20 years old and to look at it you might believe it was 5-10 years old.

Post subject: Re: Ballpark price on Used 12 gauge pump Springfield 67f
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Savage Model 30/Stevens-Springfield Model 67 typically range in value from $75.-(Poor), $100.-(Fair), $150.-(Good), $175.-(V.G.) to $275.-(Exc.). The Savage labelled guns bring an additional $20.- to $30.-. The Model 67 was discontinued in 1989. As always, check the on-line auctions for current real-life prices PAID.

Where are you located? Google the firearms laws of your State. Some states permit a face to face sale with copies of the completed State issued firearm purchaser document/bill of sale to
be retained by the seller and the buyer with a 3rd copy to be delivered to the appropriate local or state law enforcement officer. In such states, storefront dealers and FFL's usually have the necessary forms.

Wipe the muzzle end of the barrel with an oiled rag to remove the rust. Don't use an abrasive as it will remove the bluing and scratch the barrel. You state that the finish is
"practically worn off". Finish on the wood or on the metal? The value of a gun is often determined by the percentage of original factory finish remaining. FYI, a gun graded as being in "good" condition should have about 80% metal and wood finish remaining. "Fair" condition should have at least 30% or more finish remaining. "Practically worn off" might be graded as "poor".

When buying or selling a gun, condition is everything. I've seen 40 and 50 year old high mileage trap guns that would be graded "Very Good" or better. I've also seen late model field guns which, due to neglect/poor storage, etc. would be graded as poor or worse.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

doppelflinten wrote:
Some states permit a face to face sale with copies of the completed State issued firearm purchaser document/bill of sale to
be retained by the seller and the buyer with a 3rd copy to be delivered to the appropriate local or state law enforcement officer. In such states, storefront dealers and FFL's usually have the necessary forms.

And some states, including the very restrictive NY, have no such regulations. A face to face transaction between two people can take place with no paperwork at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="
Where are you located? Google the firearms laws of your State. Some states permit a face to face sale with copies of the completed State issued firearm purchaser document/bill of sale to
be retained by the seller and the buyer with a 3rd copy to be delivered to the appropriate local or state law enforcement officer. In such states, storefront dealers and FFL's usually have the necessary forms.[/quote]

What state require's that type of paperwork???

The last gun I bought the guy dug it out from behind the seat of his pickup and I gave him the cash and took the gun home!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm 
Crown Grade

jaguarxk120 wrote:
[quote=" Some states permit a face to face sale with copies of the completed State issued firearm purchaser document/bill of sale to be retained by the seller and the buyer with a 3rd copy to be delivered to the appropriate local or state law enforcement officer. In such states, storefront dealers and FFL's usually have the necessary forms.

What state requires that type of paperwork??? [/quote]

IIRC, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island. Can anyone from those states comment on the process?

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
The last gun I bought the guy dug it out from behind the seat of his pickup and I gave him the cash and took the gun home!!

That's what we do here mostly. I'm just trying to cover my behind, especially with all the new proposed gun laws flying around, i dont know which way is up anymore.

Thanks doppel. Very informative. I'll do some checking. My gun is savage labeled and springfield which i thought was odd. As for the rating, The blueing is 90+ percent and I'd say the wood finish is about 50-60 percent remaining(Like this when i bought it.). My uncle really wants to refinish it for me. But you seem to be saying that this will hurt its value? he just likes working on guns mostly and has the gear. Around here typically things like the savage label have no effect but a new finish could really have a positive effect. As it stands it looks like the gun is in fair condition. So $120-130 would be a ballpark price. let me know if I'm off on this.

A friend wants to buy it now. I'd have no problem selling it to him(I'd even sell it cheap say 100 since he's practically family) but i get the feeling hes just wanting to do me a favor. I don't like that. if he could really use it or just wanted it for his collection it'd be great but he has just as many nice guns as I do if not more so I figure a lower grade gun like this won't be of any use to him either(Thats kind of why im getting rid of it. I have better guns and my safe is full.).

I'd just as soon refinish it, wipe the rust off, and see if it will go for 140-150(I could put up fliers and ask around). If thats a no go I'm pretty sure a 120-130 dollar pump 12 guage will sell in a heart beat around here next fall. I'll wait for feedback on whether or not to add new finish to go any further and thanks again for the info. Its always nice to know im not getting ripped off and also good to know where to stand my ground if someone starts the whole "Your asking that much for that piece of junk!" thing. I hate when people try this when a picture is on the flier, the items flaws are clearly listed, and firm is written after the asking price. Its second nature to people around here to try to get something for as little as possible and some really dont mind wasting your time either.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976998719/Gu ... ld_67F.htm

I new that dang thing had a modified barrel lol. me and dad have been argueing about this for years. He used the dime test which led him to say it was full ckoke. I patterned it and it looked too loose to be full.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for clarifying the condition of your 67F. I don't believe that a decent refinish of the wood would harm the value. You might want to visit the Spanish Gun forum and see what some of those folks have done in regard to refinishing a gun without lowering the value. Their philosophy appears to be one of restoring the finish to that of a well used but, well cared for gun rather than having the gun look like its been refinished to pass as new.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi