CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKB Ithaca 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone know at what ser# the SKB Ithaca 300 was changed from Recoil to Gas operated. Thanks it advance for any help with this. Purp

Post subject: Re: SKB Ithaca 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can't help you with your question but would like to add that I love the recoil operated SKBs. I bought one of the gas guns but never used it. I finally sold it. Nothing wrong with it. I liked the recoil gun better and never used the gas gun but a few times. Those recoil guns are tough and reliable.

I hope someone will chime in with the info you require.

I do what I want, when I want, wherever I want....as long as my wife says its OK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input, I have seen one at a local shop ser#S8100XXX that looks almost new with no marks or scratches on the wood or metal. The blueing on the barrel is browner than the receiver, but other than that this gun looks new. I am not familiar with the price of a 300 but thay are only asking 295.00 for it which did not seem like much for it to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gas or recoil??

I do what I want, when I want, wherever I want....as long as my wife says its OK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

I am not sure, I am going back tomorow and take the forend off and see. I am thinking with that ser# It's a later one and that would be Gas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lock the bolt open. Grab the barrel and try to force it into the action. If it moves, it is recoil and I recommend that you offer $250 and buy it.

If it is gas, the barrel won't budge. They sell for more and $295 ain't a bad price. Yet, I prefer the recoil for its reliability. I'd rather have a gas SKB than a Remington 1100.

The barrels are chrome and won't be the identical same color as the receiver. Not to worry, it is normal. The barrels are chrome steel and the receiver is alloy, thus the slight color difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the advice, I will check it out tomorow and let you know how I make out. I have 2 other Ithacas,both M37s one 12 and one 20ga and realy love these guns. Ithaca lists ser#s and dates on there site for every gun thay ever made and sold except the SKBs, O well don't that figure. Purp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

It turned out to be a recoil gun and the shop would not budge off the 295.00 and I also learned from the SKB web site that parts for the recoil guns are no longer available,so I passed on it. To bad no parts, this gun is mint. If anyone knows of a sores for parts for the SKB Ithaca 300 let me know and help change my mind on this gun. Purp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=6565

Numrich's has enough parts to keep that gun going forever and three days. See if the shop will eat the tax.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

Evan, thanks for the link.I think I may reconsider at the asking price now that I know I can get parts should I need them.Do you know how this gun stacks up to the Franchi 48AL? Purp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have both. My SKB semiauto is the 900 series, the same as the 300 except it has some decorations on it.

I use the SKB for 12 gauge shooting and the 48 for 20 gauge shooting.

Both operate the same way, disassemble and reassemble the same way. I wouldn't turn around for the difference in them. Both are among my favorites. I have never had to replace a part on my SKB. It is a 1968 model. All parts on the 900 are identical to the 300.

My 900:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all your help Evan. I am not new to Shotguns, I have sevral but not familar with SKBs or the 300. When I said It's mint I meant no kidding mint, not a mark anywhere. I can't go wrong for this price. If I can figure out how I will post a picture when I get it. I am still hopping someone will chime in with date Info. Thanks again for your help. Purp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SKB discontinued the Model 300 and 900 in 1972. They started production on the gas guns in 1972. My gun's serial number is 7318xxx. IIRC, I bought it in 1968, just after Ithaca imported the 300 and 900 into the US. SKB made the long recoil guns for Ithaca four years from 1968-1972.

The one thing you need to know is that the recoil ring needs to be set for light or heavy loads. If you need info about this, advise. It works just like the Franchi 48 long recoil action, even looks like it.

SKB is well known for quality. I have never had the first minute's problem with mine. I actually bought two of them and sold one to my BIL, who still uses it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 pm 
Field Grade

I am hoping a manual will be with the gun for I haven't found a site online to down load one. SKB does not have them on there site like other manufactures do. If not I will take any advice you will give me. Purp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are mechanically inclined at all, you can disassemble and reassemble this gun easily. I have never disassembld the trigger assembly but everything else is easy to take apart.

For the price, I'd buy it. SKB went out of business last year but parts are readily available for their guns.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So---------What did you do?

Inquiring minds want to know!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

You know the old saying "he who hesitates is lost".Well thats the story and I am kicking my butt. I coulden't get back to the shop untill today and it was gone. The shop owner said he sold it after I left Tuesday. At least now I know how good the SKB recoils are and the next one I find I won't hasitate on. Thanks for all the Info Evan, I realy appretiate it. Purp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the update. Check out gunbroker. You might get lucky. Most of the guns on gunbroker are overpriced but you still might get lucky on a "No Reserve" 300 or 900.

Check these out:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =218314742

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =219154212

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =218373070

Mighty good guns for an economy budget.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:43 pm 
Field Grade

I found another 20 recoil at the club I belong to In very good shape but it's been drilled and tapped for a rail and has a Weaver Quick Point on it. I don't realy want to have to plug the holes in the receiver. I will keep my eyes open, a good one will come along. Purp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOTH POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME
REASON!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Evan

Would you please provide details on the recoil ring setting(s)?
Also, any idea where I can get a manual for a 300?

I happened upon one of these, in pretty good shape, but haven't been able to find much info about it. It is nice and accurate, but doesn't cycle reliably with light loads.