CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: *Helarco VP13 Update*
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just received a call from BP about the Helarco VP 13 wad. New wads will be coming in from there plant in Denmark; the new VP13 wad has been beefed up a bit, and tests are being conducted. There has been issues with the plant owner in Florida and they were basically a franchise, and the owner is trying to sell old stock VP13 wads. I requested data for VP05 wad for E3 powder int the 1250-1300 fps, and he put a note to have the lab do some testing. I was told that Extra-Lite and TiteWad are very close to the same burring rate. I am hoping Extra-Lite powder data will be provided from BP. I like Titewad powder, but for some applications for straight wall hulls 1250 fps range it does not have the bulk, and I am hoping Extra-Lite, or E3 will fill that niche. 10Tenner

Post subject: Re: *Helarco VP13 Update*
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Tenguage wrote:
I just received a call from BP about the Helarco VP 13 wad. New wads will be coming in from there plant in Denmark; the new VP13 wad has been beefed up a bit,

Right on TG!, - thanks for the update! Was it Grant that called? Let me know when BPI gets the new wads in, and I'll send them a note as well. I sure liked the VP-13, and even with the scorching/burning thru of the powder cup, I was still getting usable performance (Standard Deviation wise).

Tenguage wrote:
, and tests are being conducted

What?, - aftermarket wad makers, and wad distributors actually testing their wads ?? Da-hell you say ! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
even with the scorching/burning thru of the powder cup, I was still getting usable performance (Standard Deviation wise).

I was surprised as well, and the the test results from BP of my reloads as well to. Could have been my .739 bore and elongated polished forcing cone on my BT99 barrel that exaggerated the problem with the wad. He goes by the name of the Curmudgeon on BP web site. I told him there are many trap shooters going to 7/8 oz loads for 16 yd singles. He said he has used 7/8 in sporting clays, and I have used them as well, low recoil. 10Tenner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Tenguage wrote:
He goes by the name of the Curmudgeon on BP web site.

Yea, Grant is Curmudgeon jr.

Since I'm getting into barrel work (honing, polishing etc), can you tell be how your barrel, and forcing cone got elongated? Is that something that you yourself did, or did someone else do it? If so, was it an intentional forcing cone lengthening endeavor, or a hone/polish job that got out of hand ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Since I'm getting into barrel work (honing, polishing etc), can you tell be how your barrel, and forcing cone got elongated? Is that something that you yourself did, or did someone else do it? If so, was it an intentional forcing cone lengthening endeavor, or a hone/polish job that got out of hand ?
I have the reamer from brownells, but I would buy one from http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/ there reamer makes a longer taper. I then polish, and if I take enough time I take the shoulder out, making the forcing cone almost a funnel. 10tenner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 am 
Crown Grade

Tenguage wrote:
Quote:
I have the reamer from brownells, but I would buy one from http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/ there reamer makes a longer taper. I then polish, and if I take enough time I take the shoulder out, making the forcing cone almost a funnel. 10tenner

What did you use for final honing/polishing? If Flex hones, what number (grit & type) ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use a drill bit extension, and a adapter to hold a bronze brush. I add layers of 0000 steel wool to the bronze brush, and apply polishing compound, and flex hone oil. I learned to do this before Brownells had the flex hone. If were you I would get the flex hone, and save your self some time. 10tenner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 am 
Utility Grade

Just some facts about the VP13 and The Helarco/HelarcoUS situation.

HelarcoUS was not a franchise but owned 50% by Helarco in Denmark and Jesper Larsen was chairman of the board.

All products where produced on tools from Helarco in Denmark and design by Helarco in Denmark. The VP13 (made in the US) was made thinner to save material by Helarco in Denmark.

Nobody from HelarcoUS or any employees are trying to sell useless VP13. All VP13 produced on the plant in Tampa is destroyed.

Ivan Vagner who was the original designer of the VP Wads has stopped all co-operation with Helarco.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

cschjorr wrote:
Just some facts about the VP13 and The Helarco/HelarcoUS situation.

HelarcoUS was not a franchise but owned 50% by Helarco in Denmark and Jesper Larsen was chairman of the board.

All products where produced on tools from Helarco in Denmark and design by Helarco in Denmark. The VP13 (made in the US) was made thinner to save material by Helarco in Denmark.

Nobody from HelarcoUS or any employees are trying to sell useless VP13. All VP13 produced on the plant in Tampa is destroyed.

Ivan Vagner who was the original designer of the VP Wads has stopped all co-operation with Helarco.

Translation ?

i.e. what does "co-operation" mean if he (Ivan Vagner) wasn't the one designing the molds, or part of any manufacturing company making wads anyhow ? ergo what value does the situation really have at this juncture? Quite frankly, the VP-13 isn't an isolated situation since the VP-05 (and other such wads) share the same power cup situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

cschjorr wrote:

I like Helarco wads. I hope they get everything fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Smelly Benelli,
The new wads are being tested. In part of my discussion, I mentioned the need of a larger powder cup, and flexibility to make a good seal in straight wall hulls. That is what the Helarco wads offer. I can pick up 1,000 of Estate hulls. I use a super sizer to size the metal base, and I get great crimps through my PW 800+. The biggest plus is with a auto, let em fly, there are more than I can reload. 10tenner