CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thos Spencer double barrel shotgun questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

This is my first time here so please bare with me. I have a Thos Spencer double barrel shotgun that I want info on. Here is what I know:
Thos Spencer, stamped (ELG in an oval or egg) no crown above, letters JL stamped on barrels, receiver, and on the forearm plate, 18.2 on one barrel and 17.8 on the other, 7376 stamped on reciever. Demascus barrels.

I think that the ELG indicated built in Belgium not having a crown above it means it is pre 1893.

JL I believe is the maker Jonlet H and Louet M

Can anyone confirm this and offer any more details?

Post subject: Re: Thos Spencer double barrel shotgun questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Good Evening. Your THOMAS SPENCE is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. There was no maker named Thomas Spencer. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold (or imported in this case) by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Yes, the gun was made in Belgium and it was made by a very large maker named Henri Pieper and was imported by Schoverling, Daley & Gales, a dealer located in New York City from 1873 to 1940. The gun was imported sometime between 1880 and 1914. Caution! The gun was made using the technology and metallurgy of the times when it was made and for the ammunition in use back then. It was designed for black powder loaded 2 1/2 inch shells with lead shot. Belgian made guns of the period had damascus barrels. It was not designed for modern high pressure smokeless powder 3 inch or magnum shells or steel shot. I can't recommend that you attempt to shoot the gun. Value?Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. Values can range from maybe $150 for a prime condition example to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a boat anchor.

Post subject: Re: Thos Spencer double barrel shotgun questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the quick reply