CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pardner Turkey 10 Gauge (SB2-MAD) Recoil?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm seriously considering this turkey gun with the plan to mount a red dot or similar on it. However, am I being foolish? I plan to use for Spring Gobbler, thinking the added range and knockdown power would be ideal. BUT....how much kick are we talking? If it is a bruiser, what mods should I consider to ease the pain? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Pardner Turkey 10 Gauge (SB2-MAD) Recoil?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have an SB2 fitted for 20 ga. and 30-06. Synthetic stock. Weighs in with the 26" fixed mod choke barrle at @ 5.5 lbs, probably 5.8 or so for the rifle barrel. It certainly does kick in 30-06. But how many rounds are you going to put through it? It's not like you're going to use it for Trap! The factory recoil pad on my synthetic stock is very similar to a Kick-eeze and very effective. Evo Shield? I am very happy with this product and it delivers.

I think for your intended use, it will be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Believe it or not, the recoil will not be any worse than from a 3.5" 12GA shotgun. In order to reduce some of the felt recoil on my 10GA Turkey Thumper, I added a Mercury Recoil Reducer to the stock bolt hole. It reduced recoil but some prefer a cheaper method...Others have been known to add lead shot to the stock bolt hole and then epoxy it in. I use my receiver for both deer and turkey so that means that I switch barrels as well as stocks so I can't go that route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I hope you can find one. I have been looking for the 10 gauge waterfowler for a while and have not had any luck. I tried again Sat and the gun shop said "it wasn't in the book".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 am 
Diamond Grade

I use to shoot a 10 ga. 36" H&R at passing geese quite a bit. It'd thump me, but it reached out better than most other guns so I accepted the trade off. Of course it's worse in practice, but if you know where it shoots and how it patterns, you'll only need that one shot at Tom to do the job. I wouldn't bother to add any weight or optics, I'd just wear plenty of padding for practice and learn how it shoots. You won't even notice the field shot when Tom hits the dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:10 am 
Limited Edition

its a 9 lbs shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:29 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot the Turkey Pardner with 3.5 in .12 gauge and have shot the .10 gauge with goose rounds/steel shot. Both more comfortable to shoot than Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag with 3 or 3.5 mags or the Model 500 with 3 inch mags.