CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clay Target Training Aid
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm 
Utility Grade

We are students trying to create a new clay target training aid and would like your input on what the design should implement. It would be of great help to us if you could answer some questions. Please answer any questions you wish and number your responses as well as included any feedback you like. Thank you for your time.

1) Have you ever wanted a training method that could train your eyes to track a target as well as your muscles besides dry-firing?

2) Have you ever wanted this capability at your own home?

3) If said product used unbreakable orange disks, would your interests improve?

4) About how far would you want the disks to fly from the machine?

5) Would you rather go to a training facility to practice clay shooting or practice at home?

6) What potential do you see in this product with the proper advertisements and reliability?

7) Do you see this product becoming an adequate substitution for shooting actual clay pigeons during practice?

Post subject: Re: Clay Target Training Aid
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jsquaredinc wrote:
1) Have you ever wanted a training method that could train your eyes to track a target as well as your muscles besides dry-firing?
Yes

jsquaredinc wrote:
2) Have you ever wanted this capability at your own home?
Yes

jsquaredinc wrote:
3) If said product used unbreakable orange disks, would your interests improve?
No. I would have to collect all those discs, and that would reduce my interest in using it.

jsquaredinc wrote:
4) About how far would you want the disks to fly from the machine?
Normal ATA, NSSA and NSCA distances.

jsquaredinc wrote:
5) Would you rather go to a training facility to practice clay shooting or practice at home?
No.

jsquaredinc wrote:
6) What potential do you see in this product with the proper advertisements and reliability?
There is a lot of potential if the price is right.

jsquaredinc wrote:
7) Do you see this product becoming an adequate substitution for shooting actual clay pigeons during practice?
This is unanswerable. Without seeing the device, how can we know if it will do well?

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

could you give us more info on this?

I am envisioning a system that throws a disc that would allow you to dry fire at it?

That would be great as it would save you the cost of ammo; however not sure how that would work on reloading the unit if the discs are reusable. Would I have to go out and pick them all up after they have been thrown.

Also not sure how that would work at home if you are throwing targets at standard skeet/trap/sc distances.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jsquaredinc,

Where is this leading? What do you have in mind?

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm 
Utility Grade

xsshooter you are right on the money. The device we have in mind will fire light discs that will travel an unspecified distance for shooters to follow with their eyes and gun. We plan to create the system so it can operate indoors and outside. The discs will definetly be reusable time after time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How do you simulate distance indoors?

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 pm 
Crown Grade

jsquaredinc wrote:
xsshooter you are right on the money. The device we have in mind will fire light discs that will travel an unspecified distance for shooters to follow with their eyes and gun. We plan to create the system so it can operate indoors and outside. The discs will definetly be reusable time after time.

Would this work similar to the laser-dry fire systems out there now? In other words would you be able to pull the trigger and have a computer or other device tell you if you hit the target?

If so, I would think there would be a market for this if the price is right.

This would be great tool to be able to shoot target in real world conditions without associated costs like ammo and targets.

If the system only allows you to follow the target with your eyes, and gun without any feedback, I don't think there would be a hugh market for this.

I too would be interested to know how this would work indoors.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Check out the Arrow Laser Aim and Laser Fire at http://www.arrowlasershot.com/
It does not use a computer to give you feed back if you hit the target. It can be used indoors, in any room that has a flat wall to project on.

The Laser Aim fits in the barrel and has a wire with a ring that goes on your finger, when you touch your finger (w/ring) to the trigger it lights up the laser. The Laser Fire projects a beam on the wall that represents a target in flight. You can set it up for most angles and speeds. It even has a feature that lets you set it up for voice command.
You set it for the shot you want to duplicate, turn it on and when the laser dot(target) moves across the wall, you mount like you normally do and when you touch the ring to the trigger and the laser fires you will see where you were in relation to the target.

About distance, different distances and speeds require different leads. If you visualize what the lead should look like in your mind for say 20 yd target, then when you mount and pull the trigger at that lead you visualized and the laser will show you if you were ahead, behind, etc. If yo visualize what it should look like for a fast 40 yd. target, then you mount to that lead and you will see where you were.

Flashlight drill only helps develop a smooth swing, using the Laser Fire and Laser aim
you practice mounting and placing the gun in front of the target which is what you do when firing at a target on a Sporting Clays Range. I know we are not supposed to measure leads, but I believe that your Sub-Consious sees the lead at the barrel and not at the distance it is from you. I found using my Laser Aim and Laser Fire that I was slowing down or stopping my swing.

For the heck of it, on a Skeet field which we know is 40 yd's from the high to the low house. So starting at the low house take 2 clays and set them 3 ft. apart at 20 yds(middle)
Then set 2 clays 6 ft. apart at 30 yds. and 2 clays 9 ft apart against the high house.(40 yd's) Then mount your gun and hold on one of the clays at 20 yds and see what the gap looks like to the other clay at 20 yds. Then do the same at the others and see how much difference there appears to be between the clays at the different distances. Try it, it will supprise you.

V/R TonyG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
jsquaredinc,

Where is this leading? What do you have in mind?

Banning shotguns and clay target ranges :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rastoff wrote:
How do you simulate distance indoors?

I am guessing smoke and mirrors, minus the smoke.

Back in the early 1970's, there was a shotgun type game that played on a big screen. It used a bunch of mirrors to increase the distance to the target even though the screen was 20 feet in front of you. It had an O/U shotgun that looked almost real, and when you pulled the trigger it made a noticeable BANG and the gun kicked. The only thing bad about the gun was that there was a thick braided steel telephone type cable coming off the grip on the stock. The target was a large orange dot that got smaller as it arched outward. When you hit it, it would flash white. It looked as real as possible considering it was the 1970s. When our city decided that diversity was more important than public safety, the machine got broken and taken away. Lowlifes would come in and throw things at the mirror and kick the machine when they couldn't hit anything. The police would arrest them for damaging the equipment because they were disadvantaged youths (yootz), so the machines were removed because they cost more to repair than they got. It was 50 cents to play a game with 25 targets. You could also choose whether you had single or double targets. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't hit anything back then either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

Years ago we modified one of the backyard type throwers to launch the small water bottles half filled with water. We shot them with 22s. Yes we had hills as a backstop. It was a lot of fun and sharpened wingshooting a lot.