CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Model 24: Missing Pieces
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:09 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a Savage Model 24 (22/410) Date stamp is 29L and it is the old style with the selector button down by the trigger. I knowingly bought it with the understanding that it needed a new selector. However, the piece isn't just broken, it's completely missing. I've looked at http://www.savage24.com and there is some great information there but when I look at the parts diagrams, it's hard to tell everything I need to complete a parts order. Does anyone have a more detailed or larger parts diagram for a savage 24 or even better, pictures of the inside? The selector button is complete and functional as best I can tell and it clicks nicely up and down. However, that's all I have. Everything else, trigger, hammer, top snap, extractors is complete and functional.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Post subject: Re: Savage Model 24: Missing Pieces
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Will this help? :mrgreen:
http://stevespages.com/pdf/savage_24_co ... hotgun.pdf
or try: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=5153

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:32 am 
Limited Edition

There should be a tab with a nubbin that moves up and down with the selector button, covering either the upper or lower firing pin. If your button and screw are still with the gun, it sounds like they are still attached to the lower part of the tab, but the upper part has broken off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the pic. I'm definitly in need of the selector. But it's led me to a few new questions:

How does the selector attach to the button? How do I take the button off of the gun? When I get home, I'll try to take a picture of what I do have if it'll help.

Any chance I can talk you into taking the stock off the gun and snapping a picture of the inside? If not that's ok...

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm 

ddan7 wrote:
I bought a Savage Model 24 (22/410) Date stamp is 29L and it is the old style with the selector button down by the trigger. I knowingly bought it with the understanding that it needed a new selector. However, the piece isn't just broken, it's completely missing. I've looked at http://www.savage24.com and there is some great information there but when I look at the parts diagrams, it's hard to tell everything I need to complete a parts order. Does anyone have a more detailed or larger parts diagram for a savage 24 or even better, pictures of the inside? The selector button is complete and functional as best I can tell and it clicks nicely up and down. However, that's all I have. Everything else, trigger, hammer, top snap, extractors is complete and functional.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

send me a PM with your email address and I will scan a copy of the parts diagram and parts list and shoot it to you..

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:02 am 
Presentation Grade

This page from Numrich shows the selector, the button and screw:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=3898

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:11 am 
Limited Edition

ddan7 wrote:
Thanks for the pic. I'm definitly in need of the selector. But it's led me to a few new questions:

How does the selector attach to the button? How do I take the button off of the gun? When I get home, I'll try to take a picture of what I do have if it'll help.

Any chance I can talk you into taking the stock off the gun and snapping a picture of the inside? If not that's ok...

Thanks again

IIRC, the screw threads directly into a boss on the bottom of the selector. I suspect that the top half of your selector has broken off and fallen out while the bottom half is keeping the screw and button attached. If you loosen the button screw, the button will come off and the bottom of the selector should be removable.

Note on the Numrich diagrams that there are TWO styles of selector, early and late. (numbers 52 & 53). I don't know how to tell the difference, but there are some good Savage 24 experts at:
http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/180203.html

I would be happy to take more pics, but unfortunately I've sold the gun since the photo shown was taken.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to all the help so far. I took a few pictures of the button and it doesn't appear to be broken off at all, yet I can't seem to figure out where the selector would thread into the button since it's smooth on the inside.

First a few pics of the gun and the button. I took the button out and it's resting on the top of the receiver on the first picture and the plunger and spring are in place and the plunger is visible in the hole.

Here's a few pics of the button in place

I took a closer look at the numrich website and it might be that one of these two selectors, either fits inside the button stem or on the outside. I hope it's okay to borrow their pictures...

I don't think it's this one, since it also appears in the kit with the screw.

The simple solution would be to just order the full button/selector kit from Numbrich, but I don't think my button is broken off. What do you all think?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:18 pm 
Limited Edition

ddan7 wrote:
Thanks to all the help so far. I took a few pictures of the button and it doesn't appear to be broken off at all, yet I can't seem to figure out where the selector would thread into the button since it's smooth on the inside.

First a few pics of the gun and the button. I took the button out and it's resting on the top of the receiver on the first picture and the plunger and spring are in place and the plunger is visible in the hole.

Interesting. It appears that you have the early version. My remarks about the button screw were based on my having the later version. I can see now why they didn't make much sense to you.

On the early version, it appears that there are only two parts; the selector and the button. The boss on the bottom of the selector appears to fit inside the hollow cylinder in the button.
I would guess that in use the selector sometimes pulls free from the button and falls out. That would be probably be why Savage changed to the three piece button, selector and screw-that-holds-everything-positively-together arrangement.

Your options at this point would be to buy a new early selector and hope it stays together or buy a button - screw - selector and use the later version.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

When the unbroken/new selector is in place, inside the receiver, it's lower/offset (90-degree) leg extends partially into the hole/window in the receiver sidewall - ready to accept the hollow stem of the selector button.

The button slides in/on from the outside, and is secured via a small clip (circlip or frogleg clip) that seats in the annular groove around the outside of the selector button's stem.
Part of the clip bears on the stem, while the outer part bears on the inside of the receiver wall, preventing disassembly.

The later, threaded selector button stem, did away with that - then Savage did away with all of it, only supplying the new hammer with the selector in the hammer nose to anyone requesting replacment parts.