CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old double barrel shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
Utility Grade

There is an auction coming up in my area in a couple of months that has several old shot guns listed. I can't find much info about them, and don't have a lot of info from the sale bill. Does anybody have any information of the following makers? Guess at values in fair shape?
Henry arms 12 ga,
Massachusetts arms co. pat. 2-10-14, 12 ga.
Wolverine arms co. 12 ga
Meridian firearms, pat. 7-9-7 12 ga.
E. C. Meacham arms 20 ga.
W. H. Hamilton 12 ga.
Janssen Sons. co. 12 ga.
Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: old double barrel shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All of the brands you listed were made by contracted companies, such as Meridan. They have little investment value but may serve as field guns for the occasional shooter. Think around $200, if in great condition. Parts will be a problem if they don't work.

I'd think about putting my money elsewhere. There is little market for these brands.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I really need it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Henry Arms and Wolverine Arms are "trade brands" used on guns produced at H & D Folsom Arms Co.'s factory in Norwich, Conn. and would be similar to the guns they marketted under the American Gun Co. or Crescent Fire Arms Co. names.

Massachusetts arms co. pat. 2-10-14, 12 ga. -- should be "trade brand"a hammer gun made by J. Stevens on the G.S. Lewis Patent No. 1,086,378 granted Feb. 10, 1914, for a coil spring operated hammer gun.

Meridian firearms, pat. 7-9-7 12 ga. -- is it really Meridian or is it Meriden? July 9, 1907, was the date of Patent No. 859,477 granted to A.J. Aubrey who was the superintendant of Sears, Roebuck & Co.'s Meriden Fire Arms Co.

E. C. Meacham arms 20 ga. -- "trade brand" gun made for E.C. Meacham Arms Co. a big dealer in St Louis, could have been made by a U.S. manufacturer or more likely Belgian, look for proog marks.

W.H. Hamilton - Trade name used by Thomas Leary on shotguns manufactured by F.Dumoulin & Co. of Liege, Belgium 1904-10. Source: A Short History of Shotgun Making in Belgium, By Joseph Vorisek

Janssen Sons. co. 12 ga. -- another, likely low end, Belgian gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe that the Massachusetts Arms and Wolverine Arms brands were made by Crescent.
The Meriden was a successor to the former A.J. Aubrey which, I believe, was owned by Sears, Roebuck & Company. Its my understanding that the Meriden guns were better built than the Crescent products. Sears advertised the earlier Aubrey guns with 1908 pricing from
$13.85 to $19.35. Some were available with damascus barrels. These were inexpensive compared to the Bakers, Ithacas and Remington doubles of that era which started at $19.00 and went up to $30.- or more.

I agree with ev, put your money elsewhere.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:42 pm 
Crown Grade

But it will make a great wall hanger!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 pm 
Limited Edition

"AJ Aubrey" was a trade brand used on guns made by Meriden and sold through Sears, Roebuck & Co.. The same guns were also sold without the AJ Aubrey markings (just Meriden), whether through S, R & Co, or through some other channel, I don't know.

Meriden Firearms was owned , so far as I've been able to discover, by Richard Sears, and other insiders at S,R&Co, but not by Sears, Roebuck & Co. itself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

sgtwink wrote:
There is an auction coming up in my area in a couple of months that has several old shot guns listed. I can't find much info about them, and don't have a lot of info from the sale bill. Does anybody have any information of the following makers? Guess at values in fair shape?
Henry arms 12 ga,
Massachusetts arms co. pat. 2-10-14, 12 ga.
Wolverine arms co. 12 ga
Meridian firearms, pat. 7-9-7 12 ga.
E. C. Meacham arms 20 ga.
W. H. Hamilton 12 ga.
Janssen Sons. co. 12 ga.
Thanks for your help.

While the values and bonafides have already been spoken to, more to the point, what is your interest in them ? Wallhanger/decoration ? Collecting ? Shooting ? Refurbishing ?

While there seems to be a collector for just about anything, if there's an intent to resell, the trick with any of those listed would be to find an interested collector/buyer.

Only a few of them "might" be shootable, but then only after a professional evaluation/clearance - and then only never with modern ammo, only special, low-powered ammo (RST, PolyWad).

As far as refurbishing or decorative purposes, I would say bid on whatever floats your boat - just please consider removing the firing pins on whatever, so that some innocent doesn't injure themselves or someone else in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I was hoping they were worth piles of money and I could buy them and watch them appreciate in value over the next few years. But now I won't. I have enough working shotguns, so I wouldn't consider shooting them anyway.

Thanks everybody for your knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Barring the blind squirrel, that occasionally stumbles across an acorn, the best way for that to happen is to do a LOT of homework (reading/trading/etc), so that when you DO come across something, you'll know what you're looking at and can make a deal without delay.

In my experience, if it's a really good deal/value, and one has to "think about it", or "go back" - the item's usually long gone, taken by someone who was better prepared.

Or who wanted it more. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

The F Doumoulin gun (FH Hamilton) might be worth looking at, a good Belgian maker. If you can get that for $200.00m if it's in good condition I'd go for it. Not the rest,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Well the average price for the old guns was a little over $200.00 with the Meachum bringing $325.00 - I didn't buy any. Thanks for all your information.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
Limited Edition

CBlock wrote:
"AJ Aubrey" was a trade brand used on guns made by Meriden and sold through Sears, Roebuck & Co.. The same guns were also sold without the AJ Aubrey markings (just Meriden), whether through S, R & Co, or through some other channel, I don't know.

Meriden Firearms was owned , so far as I've been able to discover, by Richard Sears, and other insiders at S,R&Co, but not by Sears, Roebuck & Co. itself.

The company was owned by Sears, Roebuck & Co. They sold mostly through their own catalog channels. It was Meriden Firearms. The value will vary greatly depending on model, gauge and conditon.

The Belgian guns will also vary, again depending on gauge, model and grade.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

In my experience, if it's a really good deal/value, and one has to "think about it", or "go back" - the item's usually long gone, taken by someone who was better prepared.

Or who wanted it more. :mrgreen:

Ain't that the truth!!