CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Antimony Content
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:10 pm 
Field Grade

Does anybody here know the antimony content of the #7 1/2 shot used in Remington Express Long Range shotshells? I contacted Remington, but didn't get the information I wanted. I'd really appreciate it if someone that knows, would share the info.

Post subject: Re: Antimony Content
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I got my divorce, luckily I didn't have to give my ex-wife any.

I understand that varies state by state.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

You can get a good idea of shot hardness which is due to the % of Antimony by putting a pellet in a pair of pliers and squeezing it. Soft shot will make a pancake and the degree of compression will be indicate relative antimony content. You might want to read about hard shot in Brister's Shotgunning the Art and Science as you wait for a real answer to your question.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooting Sportsman magazine's Tom Roster did a detailed study of shot and covered all aspects in four issues, It started in the Sept/Oct 2010 issue and ran up to the Mar/Apr 2011 issue. Tom headed up a small team to do several studies. He covered it in the "Shot Talk" column that he authors. It covers all aspects, from quality, uniformity, to hardness, to patterning.

It's an excellent series of articles, and gives a lot of insight on shot performance, and that includes plated shot as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Maybe this is what you are looking for?? DDF

7.5 shot / Hardness

Lawrence Magnum =100

Eagle Magnum =97

Federal Premium Flyer= 95

B&P F2 Mach = 92

Remington Nitro 27's =91

Federal Gold Medal Paper =91

West Coast Magnum = 91

Lawrence Magnum Copper =87

Winchester SuperSport =84

Federal Premium Field Copper =77

Fiocchi Nickel Little Rhino =74

Remington Nitro Express =73

Winchester Black Diamond Nickel =70

Gamebore White Gold Nickel =68

Remington Game Load 16ga =68

Fiocchi (Italy) HV Field =68

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:24 pm 
Crown Grade

What are the above comparisons supposed to represent? Top being the hardest and then in descending values?

KK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:42 pm 

Clayshutr wrote:
What are the above comparisons supposed to represent? Top being the hardest and then in descending values?

KK

You got it, but I have no clue as to the amount of Antimony each increment means, but those are the results from a hardness tester.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 am 
Field Grade

I hate to bump this back to the top, but I wanted to thank everybody for the replies. I appreciate it. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Antimony content in magnum shot is 7%. It's 3%-5% in softer chilled shot. I'd be real surprised if the Remington load you cited isn't magnum shot. EG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

On a scale of 100 the load he is asking about is a 73 see the Nitro Express? The feild loads more often than not have the chilled shot, the magnum shot is for the premium trap loads, hence the high cost of Nitro's and STS target shells.
DDF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

astomb wrote:
You can get a good idea of shot hardness which is due to the % of Antimony by putting a pellet in a pair of pliers and squeezing it. Soft shot will make a pancake and the degree of compression will be indicate relative antimony content.

That is "the real answer." The code words of chilled, hard, extra-hard, and "Magnum" don't mean anything, specifically. "Magnum" shot would be larger than standard shot if the word was properly used.

It varies all over and it varies from time to time. Larger shot sizes are often referred to as "magnum field grade shot"-- but they have less antimony than the target sizes. European shot sizes and American shot sizes aren't the same, so that further muddies up the waters.

Have a headache yet? Consistency of size, sphericity, etc., are all important parts of shot quality as well.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Antimony content in lead shot is NOT a "fixed percentage", and there are NO specifications regulating it.

Generally the shot makers put a higher percentage in the target load shot sizes for hardness, but use less (if any) in the larger shot sizes where it is not needed.

Dead Dog Fritz did us a great service when he tested/measured those samples. Hopefully the various sources keep some consistency in their formulations.

BobK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:20 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

BobK
I remember seeing an actual percentage on bags of shot, 6% Antimony. Hard lead shot usually meant 5% or more Antimony.

Shot hardness is a critical issue in shotshell performance. If you are trying to shoot at the limit of your range, you need to have the best and most consistent patterns possible. I just reread what Brister had to say about it. He said that every time the costs go up Antimony content tends to go down.

I do not think that we can count on consistency in anything but the top of the line target loads.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

The pliers test is the most accurate gauge for % antimony. I keep some pellets that I know have 5% antimony and then compare to other pellets in terms of how much of a pancake I can produce with the same amount of force. I use pliers with flat surface and make sure the pellet is always placed in the same position.

Antimony content is very important to obtain good patterns. Anything above 3% is good but 5% is better. Promo loads usually have less than 1%.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:04 am 
Crown Grade

astomb - read the series of 4 articles in Shooting Sportsman that I mentioned above. It is really enlightening. I doubt very much that anyone would guarantee a minimum Sb content of their shot.

I'd like to see some of those bags that showed Sb (Antimony) content on the bag! I'll bet they don't do that any more!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:06 pm 

BobK wrote:
astomb - read the series of 4 articles in Shooting Sportsman that I mentioned above. It is really enlightening. I doubt very much that anyone would guarantee a minimum Sb content of their shot.

I'd like to see some of those bags that showed Sb (Antimony) content on the bag! I'll bet they don't do that any more!!

Maybe if he had a copy he would, You could always scan yours and post it up or email it to him.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Does it Matter?
If you put the shot where the clay is it will break. The clay doesn't really care about the shot hardness.
Hope this helps:
Chuck

CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Level II Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Yes, it does matter to the extent that shot that retains its sphericity is more consistent, and patterns more consistently.

http://randywakeman.com

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

Funny, but.....

For skeet and close-range shooting, (inside of 25 yards) chilled shot works FINE, as the deformed pellets haven't really left the pattern yet. And the late, great Don Zutz even recommended it!!

The advantage of hard shot and consistent patterns comes at longer ranges.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Anyone who says hard shot doesn't matter has never look at too many patterns on paper, the difference is huge. Hard shot nice even filled in patterns with minimal fliers, soft shot, lots of fliers.
BobK,
I didn't test that shot, just googles it and someone sharper than me tested that shot. But I saved it in my trap/reloading file.
DDF