CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: edwards recoil reducer?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 pm 
Field Grade

whats is your experience with it? does it work ? or i am better off with a supercell buttpad? can i use it in a hollow synthetic stock?

Post subject: Re: edwards recoil reducer?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

You could epoxy it or JB Weld it to the hollow stock, parallel to the top of the comb. Basically it will be non-removable after the install for the best install method. Then get a Supercell, R3, or Pachmayer to add to it. Then you'll talk about Cadillac shooting. Should be a dream then. You might need a mercury unit that simply bolts to the mag tube cap to balance it all out. All these mods will drastically lower the felt recoil of the gun. Or you could purchase the 12 ounce Graco mercury unit that installs in the mag tube. Simple install and easily removable.

slomo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 am 
Field Grade

thanks very much. re. the graco mercury unit, do you insert it inside the magazine tube in place of a round of ammo? is the edwards only in one piece?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 12 ounce mercury mag tube unit I have installs in the mag tube. Remove the mag retaining device and install in the muzzle end of mag tube. Opposite end where you normally load shells. This takes the place of two or three shells inside the mag tube I think it was. Esentially you limit the shell holding capacity of the mag tube. Anyway the extra weight is in a more central location and slightly towards the muzzle. It's great for slowing down the swing a little for skeet and sporting clays.

slomo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

slomo wrote:
The 12 ounce mercury mag tube unit I have installs in the mag tube. Remove the mag retaining device and install in the muzzle end of mag tube. Opposite end where you normally load shells. This takes the place of two or three shells inside the mag tube I think it was. Esentially you limit the shell holding capacity of the mag tube. Anyway the extra weight is in a more central location and slightly towards the muzzle. It's great for slowing down the swing a little for skeet and sporting clays.

Not so great for home defense.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I guess if you can't lift 12 ounces then you shouldn't live alone. Needless to say firing any weapon of any kind. Especially where neighbors and small children might reside close by.

On the other hand the reduced recoil would allow a sizeable human to get off a second shot faster and with more control. All due to the reduced felt recoil. YMMV of course.

slomo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Uh, yeah. He wasn't saying the additional 12 ounces is unbearable. I happen to know that Alt frequently attaches a six pack of 12 ounce weights to his shotgun for a day at the range. The idea of limiting mag capacity to smooth out swing on a defensive gun is the I'll advised part. Save that crap for the skeet range.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

sjohnny wrote:
Uh, yeah. He wasn't saying the additional 12 ounces is unbearable. I happen to know that Alt frequently attaches a six pack of 12 ounce weights to his shotgun for a day at the range.

^---This may or may not be a true statement.

I have in the past practiced snapping into a shooting position with extra weight on the end of my 16 however (and just for clarification, that an M16, to avoid any confusion).

Quote:
The idea of limiting mag capacity to smooth out swing on a defensive gun is the ill advised part. Save that crap for the skeet range.

This would be the point I was making. "smoothing out the swing" on a defensive firearm is ridiculous considering they should be capable of being rapidly snapped into place to make quick precise AIMED shots. The idea of sacrificing the capacity of an already limited magazine to accomplish said "smoothness" in a defensive firearm is even more ridiculous. And honestly, with 00 buck im pretty sure reduced recoil loads are going to have a greater effect on the recoil of the weapon (while maintaining capacity) than a 12oz weight on the end of the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

sjohnny wrote:
Uh, yeah. He wasn't saying the additional 12 ounces is unbearable. I happen to know that Alt frequently attaches a six pack of 12 ounce weights to his shotgun for a day at the range. The idea of limiting mag capacity to smooth out swing on a defensive gun is the I'll advised part. Save that crap for the skeet range.

Are they tactical weights in flat black?

And you guys were jabbing me for adding 12 ounces of weight, LOL. That 72 ounces should slow down the swing.

Kidding aside, the original post was about an Edwards recoil reducer. Then you home defense guys chime in. See where the confusion is? Start your own topic if you want to talk about black plastic toy guns and SWAT garbage. :D You two were the only guys to mention home defense. Not the rest of us.

http://www.listenandlearn.org/english/reading/

slomo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Uh... this is posted in the Tactical/home Defense forum.

And maybe you didn't get that the "six pack of 12 ounce weights" was probably a joke?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slomo wrote:
Kidding aside, the original post was about an Edwards recoil reducer.

In the HD/Tac board.
Quote:
Then you home defense guys chime in.

In the HD/Tac board.
Quote:
See where the confusion is?

Do you?
Quote:
Start your own topic if you want to talk about black plastic toy guns and SWAT garbage. :D

Maybe instead you should stay out of the HD/Tac board.
Quote:
You two were the only guys to mention home defense. Not the rest of us.

Except that this thread is in the HD/Tac board.
Quote:

Slow, being witty only counts when you actually have wit.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

Last edited by m24shooter on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the reading link. You should take a look at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Any of you guys actually own an Edwards reducer? Or a mercury unit? Didn't sound like it. The OP asked a question about them. Actually owning several of them I chimed in to assist.

Thanks for pointing out this was actually the tac/HD section. OP didn't state he was using it for that purpose. Sounds like he was looking for less felt recoil which the Edwards and mercury units provide. Sorry to offend the plastic gun crowd.

slomo

Post subject: Re: Re: edwards recoil reducer?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slomo wrote:
Any of you guys actually own an Edwards reducer? Or a mercury unit? Didn't sound like it. The OP asked a question about them. Actually owning several of them I chimed in to assist.

Thanks for pointing out this was actually the tac/HD section. OP didn't state he was using it for that purpose. Sounds like he was looking for less felt recoil which the Edwards and mercury units provide. Sorry to offend the plastic gun crowd.

slomo

Man if you had waited a few more days it would be the 13 month anniversary of this thread. Either way adding weight to a defensive shotgun just to reduce recoil is ill advised. Buy a nice limb saver recoil pad and reduced recoil shells.

Integrity. Some folks have it, some folks Don't.

Post subject: Re: Re: edwards recoil reducer?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:07 am 
Presentation Grade

liljake82 wrote:
slomo wrote:

slomo

Man if you had waited a few more days it would be the 13 month anniversary of this thread. Either way adding weight to a defensive shotgun just to reduce recoil is ill advised. Buy a nice limb saver recoil pad and reduced recoil shells.

Why is it ill advised? Don't you think if someone broke into your house that your adrenal glands would be in overdrive? And maybe that extra 6.5 ounces (Edwards) wouldn't be noticed? You agree on lighter loads for less recoil but no way a recoil reducer. ??? The OP didn't seem to mind it.

Another topic you guys seem to forget is gun balance. Which these devices can alter for the better and worse. With these hollow plastic stocks, most guns are lacking in the balance dept. Better balance is more maneuverable, quicker on target and points better. Less flinching from the reduced recoil. The shot will be more accurate than a reducer less 3" mag slug out of a plastic stocked gun, ouch.

What's the time regulation on posting anyway? You seem to be okay with what ever it is.....

slomo

Post subject: Re: Re: Re: edwards recoil reducer?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slomo wrote:
liljake82 wrote:
slomo wrote:

slomo

Why is it ill advised? Don't you think if someone broke into your house that your adrenal glands would be in overdrive? And maybe that extra 6.5 ounces (Edwards) wouldn't be noticed? You agree on lighter loads for less recoil but no way a recoil reducer. ??? The OP didn't seem to mind it.

Another topic you guys seem to forget is gun balance. Which these devices can alter for the better and worse. With these hollow plastic stocks, most guns are lacking in the balance dept. Better balance is more maneuverable, quicker on target and points better. Less flinching from the reduced recoil. The shot will be more accurate than a reducer less 3" mag slug out of a plastic stocked gun, ouch.

What's the time regulation on posting anyway? You seem to be okay with what ever it is.....

slomo

It makes the hun heavier heavy guns for killing orange circles may work great, it decreases handling for a defensive gun. I'm not worried about sustained lead or follow through, I'm looking to get my gun on target in the shortest amount of time. With my light hollow stock and short barrel the balance of my gun is right between my hands where it belongs. I'm not sure what a "reducer less 3" mag slug" is but I don't recommend 3" anything for HD.

If you feel like rehashing old threads I'm game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slomo. slomo indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No prob slow.
You didn't get it last year, and you are no closer to getting it this year.
Either way, you certainly didn't offend us with your failure to grasp the point. Keep trying, maybe in another year you'll get it.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

yeahhhh.... Knew you guys would figure it out. LOL

slomo