CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Arms Co Single Barrel 12 Ga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 pm 
Field Grade

I'm wishing to find the year of manufacture for a break-action single barrel 12 ga shotgun that is branded Western Arms Co (not Corp). Based on my forum searches it seems it was made by Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT.

Other information on the shotgun includes the code OX725 stamped on the inside of the receiver, underside of barrel, inside the wooden forend, and the metal hinge bracket (probably the wrong term) that is screwed to the forend. The top of the barrel is stamped *ElectroSteel*ChokeBored*. It has the remains of silver-colored plating on a few inaccessible parts of the receiver.

All its value is sentimental, as it belonged to my friend's grandfather.

Thanks in advance.

hp

Post subject: Re: Western Arms Co Single Barrel 12 Ga
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:01 am 
Crown Grade

Your gun is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Shotguns with the name WESTERN ARMS CO were made by either the Crescent Fire Arms Co of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1931) or the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co of Chicopee Falls.MA (1864 to 1980). Sorry but no information on who the gun was made for or when it was made. The number you gave is the serial number of the gun. Caution. The gun was made using the technology and metallurgy of the times when it was made and for the ammunition in use then. It was designed for black powder and maybe early low pressure smokeless powder loaded 2 3/4" shells and lead shot. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder loaded 3 inch and magnum shells or steel shot. I can't recommend that you attempt to shoot it. Value? Depending on condition from $50 to $100.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:47 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the new information Ned.

hp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I have a followup question about a similar shotgun in the original post. The only markings on this one is the name "WESTERN ARMS CO PAT APPLED FOR" written on the top of the barrel just after the break. And then underneath just behind the trigger guard are 4 numbers.

Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated. I hope I described it correctly as I am a gun novice.

Thank you so much,

Melanie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Melanie
I had written you a long reply and was about to send it when I took another look at my reference book and found that I had jumped a line in the book as about to send you incorrect information. I'm glad I caught my error. Your gun is what is known or called today as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer. a retail chain store or an independent seller (your local hardware store) who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name or markings WESTERN ARMS CO PAT APPLIED FOR were made by the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls, MA (1874 to date). Just who the gun was made for or sold by, I have no information. The number you mention is the serial number of the gun. Usually serial numbers can be used to tell when (year) a gun was made but there are no records for Stevens made shotguns but it was made sometime between 1916 and 1940. That's about all I can tell you using the information you gave. Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood and the mechanical condition of the gun. A prime condition example (rare as these guns were used hard and received little care or maintenance) that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 at auction (depending on gauge) while a rusty and pitted metal, rotten or broken wood and missing parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a whisky still stirring stick might fetch $10.