CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca SKB Model 600 - 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 20 gauge Model 600 Ithaca SKB. My grandpa bought it for me when I was a kid, and I've shot it on one dove hunt and just wanted to know more about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ithaca SKB Model 600 - 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:23 am 
Crown Grade

SKB is no longer in business.If your gun is a field grade gun in 98% condition,it books out at $825.00 add 20% for 20ga.An unknown quantity were made with blue recievers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:25 am 
Crown Grade

Yep, grandpa types do things like that...bless 'em! The Model 600 was mid-range in the Ithaca/SKB line-up ( 500 - 600 - 680 - 700 - 800 ). Earlier production guns ( 1968 to ?) were engraved by hand, later models appear to be etched in relief. As creeker said, some 600's had blued frames but, I don't recall any being catalogued as such.

SKB is out of business but, the importer is active and has a good supply of parts. SKB O/U's
are well made and durable. I've put many thousands of rounds down the barrels of my 43 year old Model 700 Trap and it continues to serve me well. Give your 600 proper care and you
can pass it down to your grandkids.

Shoot well and enjoy!

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:58 pm 
Crown Grade

chuckhead, FWIW, the practice of having a subcontractor/manufacturer make a gun stamped with the buyer's name still goes on today, with many "Brownings" & "Winchesters" actually made in Japan.

Although the Ithaca Gun Co has a long history of making double shotguns (since the late 19th Century) and slide/pump actioned shotguns (since 1937), when they wanted to get into the then (1970's) "becoming popular" trend to stack barreled (O/U) shotguns, they decided to reach out to an existing foreign maker to mark some of their output as Ithaca's - which saved Ithaca both time (getting to market) and money (no production or machinery costs).

While Browning & Winchester chose the Miroku Gun Co, Ithaca chose SKB - which turned out to be a very good selection, as they are very dependable & durable guns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the info guys. I still have the original receipt and bill of sale stored in a manilla folder; grandpas do that as well. It was purchased in 1980 from a gun store that is still in business on the other side of town. I think that I will continue to use it as my dove shooter. I went straight from a Winchester 870 20 gauge to a Benelli SBE that I've shot for the last 10 years and this past fall was my first experience with an O/U. I really like the way that I shoot the gun and it fits PERFECT! Thanks again.