CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Left handed vs right handed o/u shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for assistance in buying an o/u shotgun. If I shoot left (shoulder) and I'm left eye dominant, do I or should I buy a left handed gun? Let me try to add more color...

I'm looking at a browning 525 or 625 sporting. From the factory, does a right handed gun come from the factory with the stock 'straight' or does it have some fit on the left side of the stock to form better in your cheek? Are there any other 'fit' reasons to buy a left handed gun?

My thinking would be to buy a right handed gun, get consistent with a good mount and then, if needed, have it fit by a professional.

Post subject: Re: Left handed vs right handed o/u shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, either buy a left handed gun, one with a neutral cast, or one with a "cast" adjustable stock; all of which are available for lefties:)

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 625 Sporting model 12 GA is available in a left-hand version. 625 sporting stocks are neutral cast, and the only difference between right and left handed ones are the side the palm swell is on. I shoot a LH 12GA 625 and it is a dream, but I also shoot a 20GA RH 625 Sporting model and it just feels like a normal stock without a palm swell to me, save for a bit of getting used to it feeling "fat" where your fingertips fall. Finally, several right handers have shot my LH 12 and shoot it fine too. My point is that I definitely prefer the LH stock, but would not pass up a great deal on a RH version if it were presented.

Hope that helps,

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:37 am 
Utility Grade

JacksBack wrote:
The 625 Sporting model 12 GA is available in a left-hand version. 625 sporting stocks are neutral cast, and the only difference between right and left handed ones are the side the palm swell is on.

Not necessarily...my 625 Sporting LH had cast on.
Not a bunch, but it was not neutral wood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 am 
Limited Edition

My 20 guage DeHaan o/u is cast for a lefty and the opening lever swings left.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:44 am 
Limited Edition

A right hand stock may be too difficult to be bent far enough to fit a lefty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pontiac493 wrote:
JacksBack wrote:
The 625 Sporting model 12 GA is available in a left-hand version. 625 sporting stocks are neutral cast, and the only difference between right and left handed ones are the side the palm swell is on.

It probably warped a little after it was finished -- happens. I have the two 625's mentioned above, a rightly and a lefty, and both measure out dead-square-neutral cast at heel and toe.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

My Beretta 687 SP II Sc came with some cast off in the stock. Shop around and ask for the gun for shooting from the left side.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:56 pm 
Utility Grade

JacksBack wrote:
pontiac493 wrote:
JacksBack wrote:

It probably warped a little after it was finished -- happens. I have the two 625's mentioned above, a rightly and a lefty, and both measure out dead-square-neutral cast at heel and toe.

Per Browning that's the way they are supposed to be. Do your guns have the stock bolt hole drilled center?

Just curious because mine was drilled with the hole offset to the right. I may have just gotten lucky with the wood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Both of mine appeared to be drilled center, but I did not pay a lot of attention to that. What I did do was measure the actual cast relative to bore, and found the center of the heel on both of mine is directly in line with the rib. Even on guns with only 1/8th inch of cast, it's pretty obvious to spot without measuring...

617422, I like K guns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:40 pm 
Field Grade

Why doesn't anyhone make a truly left-handed o/u? (ie the top lever opens to the left) I would think it is a minor change, compared to retooling receivers for pumps and Semi-autos.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 am 
Tournament Grade

bwd99 wrote:
My thinking would be to buy a right handed gun, get consistent with a good mount and then, if needed, have it fit by a professional.

Having personally been down that road, I would suggest against it. The idea is somewhat flawed. How can you develop a good consistent mount if the gun doesn't fit? I found out the hard way that buying a RH gun and then needing a LH stock is just about as expensive as buying a new gun after you account for the cost of the new stock and its fitting to the gun.

I would suggest buying either a LH-cast gun or a neutral-cast gun w/ an adjustable comb.

tudurgs wrote:
Why doesn't anyone make a truly left-handed o/u? (ie the top lever opens to the left) I would think it is a minor change, compared to retooling receivers for pumps and Semi-autos.

Both Blaser and Perazzi make left handed top levers. Others may as well, but you'll find that most southpaws prefer to push the "RH" lever rather than pull the "LH" lever.

Regards and good shooting,
Nate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Count me in the lefty group that prefers the conventional right-swinging lever on an O/U where I can easily press it with my left thumb. (Conversely OTOH, I like my 1911's mag release button under my left index finger instead of my thumb -- go figure :lol:)

617422, I like K guns

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yup, top levers on shotguns and 1911 pistols were secretly designed for lefties. (Well except for the thumb safety being on the wrong side.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:52 am 
Field Grade

I dunno. My two oldest grandsons are lefties, and it seems to me that they struggle to operate the top lever on the Beretta onwhich they are learning . Given that the lever is ergonomically correct for a righty, you guys must be good adapters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Grip the gun normally but in your left hand, push with your thumb, presto, shotgun open. I place my right hand at the breech when I do this and catch the shells as they eject.

617422, I like K guns

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Kavall wrote:
Yup, top levers on shotguns and 1911 pistols were secretly designed for lefties. (Well except for the thumb safety being on the wrong side.)

Weren't the old cowboy era colts too made secretly for us southpaws as well ? I think the loading gate is on the right hand side.

I have owned and shot near abouts 15 odd right handed O/U's thru the years. Most were neutral casted field guns(Superposed, Citori, BL4, 96 etc), some neutral casted target(Superposed, Citori, 682, SKB etc) one 1/4 inch cast-off target gun (101).
I have one left hand cast-on target gun (Summit).
Even though I could adapt to the right hand cast-off, it was certainly not ideal. Probably for an all around shoot at anything any game, the neutral cast works very well and a righty can use it too. The Lefty cast-on target mounts very well naturally but the palm swell I find is no real advantage to me personally.
I don't think I would care to pay extra for a top lever that swings left as it would just confuse me as by now I am soooo used to the conventional right swinging top lever..hmmm now let me re-think that as I do find that a gun with the bbl selector on an upper tang safety switch sometimes gets moved by my thumb dragging across it while operating the standard right swing top lever.

Tim.