CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 58 Question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 pm 
Utility Grade

First time poster, long time lurker - I will be learning to play the clays games this summer. Should I statrt out with my Dad's 58 or should I look at something newer? I am concerned about parts availability for the 58.

Post subject: Re: Remington 58 Question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it is in good working condition then I would have at it. Become familiar with its operation and maintenance and shoot quality ammunition.
This is Remington's first gas operated, autoloading shotgun without the Browning-type recoiling action. It was introduced in 1956 and was produced until early 1963.
Around 271,000+ were produced so do not worry about finding good used parts. Besides it is a very durable and reliable autoloader if cared for properly.

They were produced in 12, 16, & 20 gauge varieties with many different grades and variations as follows....
Grades:
ADL Deluxe
BDL Deluxe Special
D Tournament
F Premier
SA Skeet
SC Skeet Target
SD Skeet Tournament
SF Skeet Premier
TB Trap Special

Variations:
Magnum
58 TX with Sun-grain maple stocks
58 SX with Sun-grain maple stocks
58RSS Rifled slug special

Which one do you have?

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not know which grade I have. The S/N is 213282v if that helps any. It has a fixed mod choke, 28"vent rib.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A lot of people like the feel of the 58s best of all. A little lighter on the front end than an 1100. If the 1100 hadn't come out, I was an inch from buying one. They are a lot harder to clean in my opinion, and they tend to break where the action bars tie to the piston, but are certainly repairable by a competent person.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:05 pm 
Field Grade

Welcome {hs#
I have used both my Remington 58's for clays and hunting and I love the balance of the gun.
1956 sportsman 58 12 gauge with a vent rib skeet barrel and lyman cutts comp.
1961 sportsman 58 12 gauge with plain barrel mod.
Your s/n would be around 1960 or 61. A call to Remington will confirm. Parts you can find on
ebay and gunbroker. Check the bolt buffer in the back of the receiver.