CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning maxus Vs. Winchester SX3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

I have been looking for a new shotgun but don't know what to choose. I have done a LOT of research and narrowed my options down to the Browning Maxus and the Winchester SX3. I am leaning toward the browning but am not sure yet. I intend on doing a considerable about of clay shooting with it. Specifially trap. But I do want to hunt with it also. I prefer a shotgun with a high POI because I don't break any clays with a flat 50/50 gun. I know most hunting guns shoot flat but I wasn't sure if the Browning Maxus Sporting and SX3 sporting adjustable had high POI. If anyone knows anything about this please help. Also I would like to know if anyone knew the retail for both of those guns because the local cabelas has the hunting models for about $400 less than the website prices. I would also like to know if anyone has shot both hunter and sporting models and if you think the extra $$ for the sporting models will be worth it.

Post subject: Re: Browning maxus Vs. Winchester SX3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have had a Maxus for 3 months and really like it. Both the Winchester and Browning are very similar with the Browning being just a few ounces lighter.

My Maxus is the 3 1/2 inch stalker model. I like all black guns and really like the feel of the dura touch stock.

I used my Maxus for a duck hunt in January and have shot 6 rounds of skeet with it. It cycles 1 oz. target loads flawlessly and with no noticeable recoil. It is also plesant to shoot with Magnum duck and geese loads.

Both guns are usually about the same price and both have adjustable stocks so either should be adjustable to your physique.

I believe the metal parts of both the hunting and sporting versions are the same. The more expensive sporting editions just have nice wood and may come with an exta choke or two.

I considered both guns and bought the Maxus. So far I am really pleased. I believe the Maxus I have could handle all my shotgunning needs if I could only own one shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, I prefer the wood stock on the maxus it brings an aggressive look to the forearm, but that being said I haven't felt the duratouch yet. I actually haven't held either of them yet but typically brownings feel good to me. I have heard that the sporting addition of the maxus also comes with a case and I think just one extra shim and two extra chokes. I also like the wood they put on it a LOT. Do you happen to know about what the sporting models are selling for? I've only seen them on the browning site and haven't seen an actual retail price. Did u notice the forearm being loose at all? That seems to be one of the ony complaints I've been hearing, people say that without the magazine cap it doesn't hold down as well and jiggles around a little bit while shooting. If I'm going to pay $1000 or up for a shotgun I don't want the forearm to be shaking. Although with all the features that the maxus has I might just forget about the forearm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have no problem at all with my forearm. It is solid. My gun came with 6 shims and 2 extensions to adjust the length of pull. It also included 3 chokes and I bought a skeet choke.

I bought my stalker maxus for $1130 and got $100 worth of free shells. I had to pay for the shells but I got a $100 refund check from Browning in less than 3 weeks. Browning's current offer is for $75 worth of shells.

Check gunbroker.com for the going prices of the different Maxus models. The wood I have seen on the sorting and hunting models has looked real nice. I liked the looks of the carbon graphite covered models but I read where a couple people had trouble with it coming loose.

My Maxus has the 26 inch barrel and I like the feel of it real well. I set my O/U aside and will shoot skeet with the Maxus for the next few months. I am shooting 21 to 23 with it so far in cold weather.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

Cool, good to hear no forearm trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 am 
Utility Grade

@browning16.

did you every make a decision?!?! I'm interested in both of those guns as well!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

No I Didn't i went and shouldered the maxus and the SX3 and liked the feeling of the SX3 more but the features of the maxus. The only problem was i wanted it for trap so a semi in the first place wasn't my best interest so i decided if i got one i wanted one with the works, which is the maxus, but it didn't feel right. Its too bad it didn't. If i was looking for a gun for sporting clays or wingshooting i would've went with the SX3, it seemed to be more balanced and swing better for me. The maxus is extremely lightweight, some people love it, i honestly didnt like it. In the end I bought a used Browning Citori Trap Model. It has served me well in trap and I don't regret it. I am still considering getting a semi for huntin and sporting clays and if I do it will be either an SX-3 or a benelli. I didn't like the benelli's at first because it seemed like everyone who shot them thought they were so amazing and that you were just buying the name. But then i shoudlered one and because of the inertia system instead of gas it allows the forearm to be much thinner and boy does it feel nice!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Duratouch is junk, it rubs right off. The maxus is an improvment on the SX3, an already great gun. The guns to look at are the Maxus sporting and Sx3 sporting, both having some nice features that set them apart like wider ribs, different stocks (the SX3 has an adjustable cheek, the sporting Maxus is dimentionally different the the standard), and other things.

+2 for the benelli. Lower recoil than most yell about once the gun is fitted, the spring is swapped, and a good briley weight is added.

.45ACP is......(mind wandering)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pick the one that you like the best. The guns are very close. I have an SX3 and it is a good gun but not great gun for range games. While you can shoot trap with it , it is not a trap gun. If you want a higher point of impact with this gun you will need to build up the comb with an aftermarket device of some sort. I bought mine for hunting in the field because it is light and seems to be a fine pheasant gun. Mine is the "Flannigun" with the red receiver, duratouch and synthetic stock which I really like on rainy days. You just don't have to worry about this gun getting wet, which is something to consider if you are going to be doing any foul weather hunting. Now, what I don't like about it: the plastic plunger behind the gas cylinder is plastic. I don't like plastic. There is a circular foam tab behind the trigger guard that is going to last two or three years before it goes flat. Rubber would have been better, and finally, two gas cylinders. I currently use the one for 1 1/4 oz loads with everything and so far no problem, but might not work with light loads. What do I like about the gun? Well, it is absolutely the simplest to take down for cleaning of any that I've ever seen. I like that. Would I buy it again? Probably, but the A400 Xpolar is surely tempting albeit more money. Lastly, if you are serious about trap, get yourself a real trap gun. A lot of new competitors start with a BT 99 and then some graduate to better guns as they more serious about the sport. Good luck. You really can make a poor decision between the two.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

Here's one of the better reviews to date of the Maxus Sporting:

http://randywakeman.com/2011_Browning_Maxus_Sporting.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 pm 
Field Grade

I have already bought myself a trap gun, a lightly used 1985 citori trap model(very lightly used considering age). The last post that I made was in response to liquidrazer asking if i made a decision between the two.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm 
Utility Grade

@browning16

Congrats on ur purchase! I also like the features that the maxus brings over the sx3. At the end of the day thou, both will do the same job. I have yet the shoulder a sx3 but from handling the maxus in stores it feels pretty good.

Good Luck and thats an awesome find on the O/U!!!