CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 wingmaster - two problems
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:22 am 
Utility Grade

Hello, i have two problems with my remington 870, i wonder if someone can help...

1. Often when i load shells into the tube, the last one goes in a little two far, only by maybe 2mm, and therefore wont load when i cycle the pump. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the spring or something else. i've tried different types of shell, they all do the same....

2. The carrier will stay in the up position and i will have to push it back down from the ejection port. i'm not sure if it is supposed to do this?

JB

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 wingmaster - two problems
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Does the follower in the magazine tube move freely? When you push shells into the magazine do they slide in smoothly or is there a very gritty feeling? My first thought would be some sort of dirt/grit causing your trouble there.

The second problem, have you tried closing the action before loading the shotgun? The magazine is supposed to be loaded with the action closed. Also if you NEED to load the magazine with the action open you should be able to. Getting the carrier to lower should simply be a matter of closing the action. The bolt is what lowers the carrier on an 870.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

The mag system has a interceptor spring latch and a release spring latch, which requires that the action be fully pumped from the closed position before a round can get past both of them. As the pump is brought back from the full forward poston, the interceptor latch is breifly pressed opened first to allow the single shell to get past it, then as the pump is brought all the way back, the release latch is pressed in, allowing only that single round to be sprung out of the mag tube, with the round forward of that caught by the interceptor latch so the rest of the shells in the tube are not forced into the action as well.

So as stated, if the action is open (pump back), drop a live round into the ejection port , close the action via the pump back forward to load a round into the chamber, then load another round (s) into the mag tube for the next round (s) to be feed by the pump.

If you have the action closed, then you can load rounds into the mag tube, hit the bolt release button to unlock the action, then jack a round into the chamber via the pump that way instead.

And no, loading rounds into the mag tube with the action open/pump back is not a option.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Actually it is physically possible to load the magazine tube with the action open on an 870. It's a pain in the butt particularly due to the forearm covering part of the loading port. It also requires you to close the action, then cycle the action from closed to open to closed one more time to get a round in the chamber. As you've already pointed out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

You need to take the plug (if you have one installed), spring and the shell follower out and thoroughly clean your magazine tube, to start with. Then if you have completely disassembled and thouroughly cleaned the receiver when back together make sure you SLAM the forearm backward a few times-most people have a tendency to baby an 870, and this is a bad habit for some- see if this makes a difference with your problems. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

If you are removing the follower and mag spring replace the mag spring. It's costs 3.99 from Midway and it is cheap insurance. They can do strange things to 870s and 1100s if they wear out (and they do).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:56 am 
Utility Grade

Ok thanks all. All sorted now, it just needed a real proper clean which sorted the feeding problem. The problem with the follower was that the action was open, so it stays up, which it is supposed to.

Also i fitted the houge over moulded stock and forend in black, looks really nice now and feels much nicer than the wood. Thanks MidwayUK !