CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vent rib .vs. bead sight
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking to buy a new shotgun. As a youngster I shot an H&R with a bead sight. Just wondering if there is an advantage to a vent rib over this.

Thanks for your opinions

Post subject: Re: vent rib .vs. bead sight
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

you can get both if you want to, on my remington 1100 i have both and its sweet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

I like the rib, because its easier for me to check my mount with than no rib. Thankfully my old Remington Model 11 has the appearance of a rib, at least on the reciever hump that helps me adjust my hold.

But Im a target shooter, not a hunter... But in low gun games, I dont even look at the rib or bead...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:49 pm 
Crown Grade

HUH? vent rib and bead sight are comparing Fords to Kitchen Aids - you can have both or neither

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

For wing shooting or clays, you dont really want your eye focused on either.

Practise your gun mount to the point where when you shoulder the gun, you are aligned and your eye is cast straight down the barrell or plane of the rib to your target area or point of impact. You can do this in your living room with an unloaded gun as long as it doesnt freak out your wife or GF.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I'll bring the obvious into it (though it's likely not a factor you had in mind when posing this question). Ribs often add to a guns value.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:31 pm 
Crown Grade

One usually goes with the other...........at least with all the shotguns I've ever owned? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I believe it was a reasonable question and he was asking about differences between a plain barrel with a bead and vent rib barrel.
Why do so many on this board think its cute to be a complete a$$?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:38 am 
Tournament Grade

My point was not intended to be wise. My opinion is that from a functional stand point, both the simple bead or the rib or rib with bead are for asthetics only.

For the most part, bead only is generally going to mean a basic single shot piece or an older gun. Most every pump, auto loader or 2 barrell gun from the past 30 years has some form of vent rib.

About the only situation I can see where you may line up your shot using either is Turkey hunting.

Killing flying birds or breaking flying targets needs to be more instinctive and for me, a big part of that is being really famliar with the gun and gun mount so when it is shouldered, your head is in the right position so that your sight picture is the point of impact. If you are focused on the end of the gun, your odds of a kill or break will be much lower.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 am 
Utility Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
For wing shooting or clays, you dont really want your eye focused on either.

Practise your gun mount to the point where when you shoulder the gun, you are aligned and your eye is cast straight down the barrell or plane of the rib to your target area or point of impact.

Would you say the plane of the rib helps to insure alignment on a more subconscious level? Similar to say how a ghost ring sight isn't focused on, but you almost automatically align the front sight in the center of the ghost ring. i.e. the rib isn't focused on but forms a straight line that your mind wants to align your eye with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:18 am 
Tournament Grade

for me, the rib does provide a better referance point to insure your head and eye are positioned properly.

subconscious level is a good description. The gun mount and positioning really need to happen without consious thought so you can focus on the target's speed and complex angles and where you need to send your pattern to kill it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 am 
Limited Edition

sorry sneem {hs# , I don't think many (any?) of us were trying to be smart arsed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 am 
Limited Edition

I just think most were trying to make the point that the sighting plane of a shotgun should be a psuedo extension of the eye/arm.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

rocky_taco wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new shotgun. As a youngster I shot an H&R with a bead sight. Just wondering if there is an advantage to a vent rib over this.

Thanks for your opinions

Yes, a big one. You'll shoot far more consistently with a rib, whether vented or solid, than without.

http://randywakeman.com