CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greener Mk.III Police
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

I probably paid too much, but I have wanted one for a while and this appeared to be in very good condition and appears to have already been converted to modern shells.
I contacted Graham Greener and he stated that it was 1936-1937 production.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219134198

Post subject: Re: Greener Mk.III Police
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 pm 
Field Grade

Does the 530 stamped on top of the barrel represent the choke?

Post subject: Re: Greener Mk.III Police
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Your Greener Mark III Police is derived from the Greener GP (General Purpose) which, in turn, is decended from the Martini actioned rifles issued to British troops during the Zulu wars.

I understand that 60,000 of the Mark III's were produced with some 44,000 being sent to Egypt. Be aware that the Egyptian version is claimed to have a unique bottlenecked chamber and fired a special 12 gauge cartridge having an annular groove around the primer. The firing pin was a three pronged affair with the outer prongs being longer than the center one and nested into the annular groove of the cartridge head allowing the center prong to contact the primer. Supposedly, this arrangement would not allow the action to fire a normal 12 gauge cartridge thereby rendering it useless if the gun fell into the hands of an undesirable with no access to police ammo. Verify the chamber shape and length with a chamber gauge before attempting to use the gun. I don't know if versions having this type of chamber and firing pin were sent to other British colonies or possessions.

Recent offerings in the U.K. have listed Mark II and Mark III Police guns in the 275.- to 350.-pounds sterling range.

FWIW, during the 1970's Navy Arms in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey imported a Greener single barrel trap gun based on the same GP/Martini action. It had a checkered Monte Carlo Stock of Claro walnut, an extended forearm and a 32" vent ribbed full choked barrel.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi