CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old J C Higgins 20 gauge bolt shotgun Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:02 pm 
Field Grade

A friend of mine has a prehistoric J C Higgins 20 gauge bolt action shotgun that he thought he might start his daughter off hunting with in a year or two. He bought it at a garage sale like 35 years ago (back when you could do that sort of thing) and took it to and from Hawaii on a 22 foot sailboat so it was pretty much covered with rust when they got back. He took the barrel and action out of the stock and sand blasted it so it is down to the bare metal with significant pitting. Is there any home blueing kit that would do at least a half way decent job of re-blueing this? I know painting it camo might be the easy way to go but the wood on the stock is actually very nice, surprisingly, for a cheapy shotgun.

Also, this is, apparently a full choke gun. My understanding is that it is not wise to shoot steel through a full choke gun. If not, would cutting the barrel down about 2 inches get rid of the choke and make it safe for steel, of would that even be an option?

I've done some research on-line and it appears some have had success opening the choke up utilizing a brake cylinder hone. From what I've been able to find out taking about .0085 off it would make it a mod. choke. From what I understand the only reason steel isn't recommended in full choke (and this even goes for most "modern" shotguns from what I understand) is that steel shot won't compress any, as lead will, which might result in a bulged barrel, not a blow up or anything like that. So, if the choke is opened up to at least a mod. choke that should take care of any problem steel would cause, or would it? With the choke you're only talking about the last couple inches of the barrel, which is why, if it were cut off, you would have a cylinder bore (aka: no choke) barrel. There is .06 barrel thickness at the muzzle to work with so if we took .0085 off we would still have .0515 thickness or 86% of the original barrel thickness at the muzzle.

I'm actually leaning towards not doing this as it is an old gun and safety is the first priority so I'm just trying to get an idea if this is even something that might be possible to safely do and if I'm on the right track on how to accomplish it. If its not something that's safe I think we will just relegate the gun to the safe as a conversation piece to bring out when my friend shows everyone the old Hawaii slide show.

Post subject: Re: Old J C Higgins 20 gauge bolt shotgun Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Go to the Brownells web site, there they have many different paint/spray on finishes other than camo.

A semi flat black or flat finish would work to bringing back the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What is he planning on hunting? If it flies, do the girl a HUGE favor and get another gun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

You have mentioned that your friend's gun is a Sears bolt action shotgun. Over the years, Sears has marketed a number of guns built by different makers so the following may or may not apply.

Be aware that Sears had a recall on some J. C. Higgins bolt action shotguns manufactured during the 1950's due to a problem with the bolt assembly locking lug(s) which could result in the bolt hitting the shooter in the face. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of the various Sears models can I.D. which ones were recalled.

IMO, there are a lot of better and affordable choices for your friend's daughter to learn to hunt with.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

doppelflinten wrote:
You have mentioned that your friend's gun is a Sears bolt action shotgun. Over the years, Sears has marketed a number of guns built by different makers so the following may or may not apply.

Be aware that Sears had a recall on some J. C. Higgins bolt action shotguns manufactured during the 1950's due to a problem with the bolt assembly locking lug(s) which could result in the bolt hitting the shooter in the face. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of the various Sears models can I.D. which ones were recalled.

IMO, there are a lot of better and affordable choices for your friend's daughter to learn to hunt with.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

I ran across that recall doing some research on this and it was apparently only for the 12 gauge. Also, there was mention of the offending gun having a broken bolt retaining screw and the shooter hit himself in the face when he pulled the bolt back too hard, not when firing the gun.

We'll probably get her something else though. It just sounded like a neat off-season project.