CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickinson Arms
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm 
Utility Grade

From the photos on Ivory Beads the Dickinson Arms 20 ga sxs is very similar to the the S&W SXS if not the same gun. I have the S&W and like it a lot.

Dickinson

S&W

Dickinson

S&W

Post subject: Re: Dickinson Arms
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am 
Field Grade

I work at Turners Outdoorsman in W. Covina (literally 5 blocks away from Ivory Beads) and we just got some of those Dickinson Arms O/Us in last week. They have a really high receiver like a browning and a tremendously long length of pull, though they appear to look pretty good for a Turkish gun and they're not tremendously expensive.

I think I'd rather get a FabArm for a little more money though, or a Caesar Guerini at cost (if anybody had any idea what the margin on the CG shotguns was, I doubt anybody would pay what they do for them).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pretty good observation. Both the Dickson and the S&W are built on a trigger plate round action. In effect all the internals are mounted on a plate with the trigger. It makes for a very small round receiver. The I doubt the actions are identical as the Dickson design is probably 100 years old, made in Scotland and would be considered a custom built "British Best" gun. The S&W was made to a new patented design for S&W and made in Turkey. Those Elite Golds are a steal if you can still find one with the proper dimensions and features for around $1200.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

sneem wrote:
Pretty good observation. Both the Dickson and the S&W are built on a trigger plate round action. In effect all the internals are mounted on a plate with the trigger. It makes for a very small round receiver. The I doubt the actions are identical as the Dickson design is probably 100 years old, made in Scotland and would be considered a custom built "British Best" gun. The S&W was made to a new patented design for S&W and made in Turkey. Those Elite Golds are a steal if you can still find one with the proper dimensions and features for around $1200.

Hello, the arm in question is made by DICKINSON not Dickson.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got a link to these on the ivorybeads website? I can't find'em.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:38 pm 
Crown Grade

The Dickinson and the S&W ARE the same guns - Dickinson had their name put on them after S&W stopped importing them

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 am 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
The Dickinson and the S&W ARE the same guns - Dickinson had their name put on them after S&W stopped importing them

Correct.

'Dickinson' name was given by the importer Interstate Arms Corporation.

Other posters are confusing Dickinson with the Edinburgh firm of "John Dickson & Son". The John Dickson & Son company introduced the round action shotgun in the 1860s. These are still in production. Genuine Dickson round action sxs presently sell for about $50,000 USD.

(A US firm also used the Dickson name in the USA- American Imports Co. applied the name 'Dickson' to Ugartechea Model 1302 & 1303 shotguns sold under the Falcon Model name. My best guess is the American Imports Co. could use the name in the USA because John Dickson & Son did not bother to Trademark the name 'Dickson' in the USA up to that point. The Falcon Ugartecheas were imported in the late 1960s and early 1970s.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Dickinson is an unfortunate choice of name for a SXS, at least for those of us who know Dicksons. Similar to calling a watch a SFIKO or POLEX.