CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slugs through A full choke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 pm 
Field Grade

Gents,

I know this topic has been beaten to death so please forgive this newby for asking again.

I did do a search on this topic and found a compelling argument from Jim from Arizona as to why firing a rifled slug through a full choke is perfectly safe.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8852&start=0

I have no reason to question his wisdom on this matter, nor anyone else's. While I have owned shotguns for most of my life, I never really looked into them - particularly where slugs are concerned -- in much detail until very recently so I am on a steep learning curve. Hear me out.

I hauled apart, 3 different types of 12 ga rifled slugs and took some measurments with a set of precision calipers. Here is what I found:

1. Winchester Rack Master High Velocity Slug 3": This slug measured 0.731 inches in diameter. The hard plastic wad behind it, measured 7/16" thick (with a 1/4" cone that projects into the hollow of the slug) by 0.736 inches (diameter).

2. Remingston Slugger Rifled Slugs 2 3/4": This slug measured 0.730" in diameter. The hard plastic wad behind it measured 1/4" x 0.740 inches (diameter).

3. Winchester Super X Magnum Rifled Slugs 3": This slug measured 0.714 inches in diameter and is backed by 3 cardboard wads each measuring 0.738 inches in diameter.

OK. Where am I going with this you ask?

Simple. The bore of a 12 gauge is (in theory anyway) 0.729 inches. A full choke would be 0.729 - 0.035 = 0.684 inches.

Now I accept the collective wisdom on this site that foster slugs (sorry, all three examples were Foster slugs) will compress and deform as they leave the muzzle. But I wonder just how much those hard plastic wads that back the Remington Slugger and Winchester(Rack Master)deform or if they deform at all. Certainly they are a lot harder than lead and I reckon less likely to deform/compress.

If I were to play it strictly safe, it seems to me that the Winchester Super Xs would be a safter bet with a full or modified choke.

Oh ya, one more point: none of the boxes containing the ammunition provide advice on what choke should be used with the product; nor are there any warnings not to use them with a full choke. Jim mentioned the issue of liability which is a good point and which suggests that the ammunition can be used on a full choke.

But there is that pesky math to contend with.

Gents, I am not trying to pass myself off as an authority by throwing this out. I would very much appreciate any comments on this topic. I read recently that at one time, rifled slug diameters were significantly smaller than the bore of the shotgun but that recently, they have been made larger to create a better seal as it goes down the barrel.

If I am out to lunch, feel free to tell me. I don't mind being set straight.

Robert

Post subject: Re: Slugs through A full choke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't have the experience to say wether it is safe or not, but I have always heard that slugs are most accurate with an Improved Cylinder or Modified choke anyway. I don't see why anyone would feel the need to put slugs through a full choke unless they had no other choice. I have also heard that firing slugs through a full choke will cause the choke to open and no longer be effective. I don't know how true that is but I would never put a slug through my turkey choke.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Hello Robert V, since you have gone through all the trouble of opening them up and measuring them then can you please line them up slug and wad and hull and post pictures of each type to add a little spice to your post, and help us visiualize it.
You see I'm a Indian and like my food with a little spice.
Thank you for that post.
Ajay Madan
VideoMemories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Actually the polymer wadding although tougher than the lead slug actually has a lower modulus (ie less stiff). It will compress and go through the full choke without issue.

As other have indicated a full choke is safe but a more open choke will like shoot smaller groups. I would start with as open a choke as you have. I personally find cylinder bore works best in most cases. I would then try progressively tighter chokes until you find the one that shoots the tightest group for your selected slug.

mcb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 am 
Field Grade

Maybe I'm old school but are you talking screw on choke or a 30 in. barrel full choke? I'd say no on shooting slugs through a screw in choke. I had some friends tell me stories about blowing out screw in chokes with slugs and buck shot. I have personally shot slugs out of full choke barrels with no problem.
If your a serious slug shooter you should have a 24 in. modified choke barrel. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm 
Field Grade

Mr. Madan, happy to oblige on the photos. I hope this works....

Disclaimer: I ain't any of the following: professional photographer, firearms expert, rock star. The photo is amateurish and the layout poor but hopefully will convey the information.

BTW, I like your comments about food. Had it not been for East Indian quisine (sp?) I would have starved to death when I visited England many years ago. Let's just say that English cooking did not agree with me.......

MDick59, in answer to your question, I was referring to both screw in choke and fixed modified. Currently, I have an improved cylinder choke on my 870 12 ga because this is what seems to be the recommended choke. But I do see your point about the possible hazards of a slug through a screw-in choke.

Any an all comments and suggestions very much appreciated.

This is a great site.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good topic here. Spring turkey season is here, I shoot a T/C Encore 20 gauge with a screw in turkey choke tube. Lots of coyotes around here, I want to carry a slug with me if a coyote hangs up out of #5 shot range admiring my decoys....am I better off to carry buckshot instead of a slug?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 am 
Crown Grade

Why don't you just follow the manufacturer's words - they are safe for any choke!!

(To me, that includes "full".) I have also seen two full-choked guns (with scopes) that would consistently shoot five-shot 3" groups at 100 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello Robert V, thanks for adding some spice to your post, I enjoyed it and am sure others can picturize it better too!
We people are funny that we love to take chances for no reason, if you do have a gun with improved cylinder choke then why would some one keep trying to fire it through full choke.
Far too many variables, and thats why the ammo manufacturers can't custom tailor the slugs for better accuracy, just because they know a lot of shooters will try it the wrong way and get hurt and sue the ammo manufacturer!
When you hand load, you are only custom tailoring your slug load for only your gun and accuracy!
Have a wonderfull day.
Ajay Madan
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanx for everyones info! I hope you can help to ease my mind..Ok..I have a Winchester 840 single shot 12ga. with full choke in pristine condition..the barrel says it will accept 2 3/4 and 3' cham. loads..so far I've only used shot thru it for targets..it's never been out in the field..A friend gave me a few 1 oz. slugs he made with his Lee mold..reloaded them in Win.AA 2 3/4 hulls with a waa12 wad using Unique powder. (I'm 99% sure that's what he told me)..So..what's the word???..should I give em back or give em a try? I'm hearing it's ok to try them. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanx.