CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal or Stoeger or Rossi for first Coach gun?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 am 
Utility Grade

I want to get one with external hammers, also.

Post subject: Re: Baikal or Stoeger or Rossi for first Coach gun?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 am 
Crown Grade

All are low quality. If you can settle for a hammerless gun, buy a Stevens 311 and whack the bbls off. Decent hammer guns are expensive. What are you going to use this thing for?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

Do ya know anyone involved in Cowboy Action Shooting? These are used in a lot of our local matches but I'm sure as to which one holds up better.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Stoegers are used in CAS, with some gunsmithing. SASS guys abuse their shotguns and toss them out. Their real money is in their revolvers and slicked-up lever actions.

These are all basically junk guns. What do you want it for?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Mainly just for a range toy, maybe a bit of light squirrel hunting or HD duty as well .

From what I understand, the Baikal is a bit more rugged than the Stoeger?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Actually, let me give a better overview of my situation.

My first Gun was a Winchester 1300 20 Gauge Youth Model I got for Christmas when I was about 15 or so. Now, I'm 19 and have bought several rifles and a couple of handguns since I turned 18 almost 2 years ago, yet I have not got another shotgun. I've been wanting to move to 12 gauge for a while now, and was thinking of some sort of 18inch pumpgun for a while, until I handled a Rossi Overland at the local gun store last November, and loved the feel of it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any money at the time, (College, eh?) and some one else bought it.

So what I'm looking for is: an Affordable ($500 or less) 12 gauge SXS, with dual triggers (external hammers are less important to me, but would still be nice), preferably no auto safety.

Barrel length could be 20-24 inches (What's better for all purpose?). I want a shotgun that can be used for all purposes, including dedicated HD.

Recommendations? Hopefully this expanded information will help me fish for some more opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Baikal coach side by side (MP220F) 20" with double triggers and mule ears is the double I would go for in your price range. This shotgun is more solidly built then the Rossi, Stoeger and Stevens 311. The Baikal stage coach model is commonly used in cowboy action shooting. The Baikal MP220F for a knock around coach double would last a lifetime as well safely shoot buck, steel and hevi-shot. The Stoeger is also commonly used for Cowboy Action Shooting as Barry mentioned. In my opinion the Baikal is the more strongly built better handling coach sxs. The Rossi and any sawed off Stevens 311 is no comparison for overall build strength.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

What's "all-purpose"?

What rifle would you recommend for all purposes?

None, right? Same goes for shotguns.

Shooting a shorter shotgun at stationary targets is almost as fun as watching paint dry. Almost. For hunting or clays, I would go with a 28". I have a 25" SxS and while it works great on desert quail -- small, very fast birds -- it's not by any stretch an "all-purpose" anything. It's hard just to shoot Skeet with it. Shorter would be essentially worthless for moving targets.

WRT HD, I wouldn't use any of those guns for it. Maybe a double-trigger version would be reasonably trustworthy, but an extractor gun would not be my choice. All these single-trigger guns use inertia triggers AFAIK, other than Huglus (CZ), that means that if your first shot doesn't go off, your second one won't either. An 18.5" 870 would be a better choice by every possible measure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

When you mentioned "HD", that took a hammergun out of the picture in my mind. Sounds like you might need to rethink the finances and opt for a better quality gun. A "coach gun" with the short bbls and open chokes is good for a two shot shootout in a phone booth, that's about all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Not saying it will be my primary HD gun, my 1300 is, just something that could function as one, in a pinch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:01 pm 
Crown Grade

All of my firearms can function for HD in a pinch, as can a pickaxe, bear-repellent spray, or a sturdy corkscrew. Sounds like that shouldn't even be a spec.

So, back to a toy, which is what you are asking about...

When you say "range" what do you mean?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

With the barrels cut short for defending the coach, they are no longer long enough to use as tomato stakes. So for the most part they set in the corner of the closets and wait for the zombies to come. Please don't ruin a good gun like a 311 by taking a hack saw to the barrels, plenty of eastern block junk guns already hacked to meet any demand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 am 
Utility Grade

When I say range I mean informal Cow pasture clays.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

That's fun shooting, cheap and challenging!

Okay, now I can give an intelligent answer. A short shotgun is not what you want. A coach gun is made for quickly shooting a close, approaching target, not for tracking a moving target.

Say you were going to try to hit a baseball pitched at 80 MPH. Would you hit it with a 24" bat or a 33" bat? Which one will work better, for a full-grown adult?

Shotguns are the same. A 28" gun doesn't offer greater velocity or better accuracy than a 20" gun, generally speaking. What it offers is a swing to match a moving target in the air.

I would not get a coach gun for shooting clay targets. You will soon buy another gun. However, there are some SxS 28" guns out there, that will work. CDNN has CZ 12 Gauge SxS shotguns for $499 brand new, and they're really not bad. Forget about hammer guns. They have been novelties for well over a century, so supply is very, very limited, and quality guns even more so. CZ offers one; it's the least-expensive I would even consider, and it's $900, if you can find one. I've never actually seen one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2 shotties for HD....?

How bad are the zombies in your neighborhood?