CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diamon Arms Co???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I was trying to find information on my dad's single shot 410. It was made by the Diamond Arms Co. of St. Louis. I have tried to research info on it, but have come up empty handed. The serial number looks to have been hand engraved and I am not sure why. The number is C340538. I would appreciate any information you could give me. Thanks again

Post subject: Re: Diamon Arms Co???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's the skinny on Diamond Arms co. these guns are hardware store guns, they were made by Iver Johnson for the Shapleigh Hardware Co of St. Louis.

Back in the day hardware stores could order X number of guns and pay for the roll stamp and several different manufacturers would put any name on them you wanted. It still happened as recently as the late seventies and early eightys with such brands as J.C.Higgins, Sears, etc.

Your Dad's gun is more than likely an Iver Johnson Champion and if in really good condition might be worth about $75 since it was rebranded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Diamond arms co. 410 single shot that I let my grandson use and we were wanting to know when it was made or by whom it was made. we tried reshearching it but came up empty handed. the only number we could find was 6508 A and it was on the barrel as well as where the barrel clicks to the stock and action. please post if you have any ideas..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:28 pm 
Crown Grade

"Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. If the name is just DIAMOND alone the gun was made by the Stevens Arms Co. If the name is DIAMOND ARMS CO the gun was made by either the Stevens Arms Co, Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works or Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. In all cases the gun was made for and sold at wholesale by the Shapleigh Hardware Co of St. Louis,MO. Value? Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition.
Value for a single barrel gun can range from a high of maybe $175 for a factory new condition gun (not many fit ) to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a boat anchor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a shotgun marked "Diamond Arms Co" which I believe was made by Hopkins & Allen. I am fairly certain that it is not a product of Stevens, Iver Johnson, or Harrington & Richardson. Shapleigh probably dealt with a number of gunmakers over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm 
Crown Grade

According to my research shotguns with the name DIAMOND and DIAMOND ARMS CO were made by either Stevens Arms Co or Stevens Arms Co, Iver Johnson"s Arms & Cycle Works or Harrington & Richardson Arms Company. All variations of the names were made for and sold by Shapleigh Hardware. Now it is very possible that there was another maker. I have found in thirty years of research, not all names and makers were recorded. I find at least one unknown (new?) name a month. Most of these were made by good old Crescent Fire Arms. The best or worst I have come across is a HOO HOO. Now who would name a gun that? Would it be possible for you to post a photograph of the gun or a very good description. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:55 am 
Diamond Grade

A Tobin 'Blue Diamond' double

Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry! Oliver Cromwell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Everybody please, look at the title of the original question and the photographs of the markings. That's why I repeately state that we need to know the complete and correct markings.
The original question asked about guns with the DIAMOND name and the photographs show
the BLUE DIAMOND STEEL Completely different names, different makers and different sellers.
Guns with the name Blue Diamond Steel name were made by the Tobin Arms Company and were sold by the Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis,MO from 1903 to 1915. Guns with the name Diamond or Diamond Arms Co were made by the Stevens Arms Company, Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works or Harrington & Richardson and were sold by the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis,MO. One must give the complete and correct information to get a complete and correct answer to ones questions.